Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a big, nice looking oak. Always fun to look good with a live audience. I really enjoy the videos, thanks for posting them. I'm thinking about getting Bitz, Rounder, TS and NM some helmet cams for Christmas. I'd be in wannabe fallers hog heaven. I'd prolly also need to send TS his own personal IT guy as well:laugh:.
Nerd question. Are you sniping the gunning cut to get it off the stump, or just to open the face?
Tech question: Why does that saw sound like it has a valvetrain? Not a bad sound, just different

Medical advice: I hope u'r getting that low with u'r knees and not u'r back

Husk, just to be quite honest...I can't even figure out what a gun cut is! LMAO! But I can swing with the snipe if in a certain place in the face, and yes I have been using that to open the face since high stumps would get me fired instantly here. I got tired of those bigger sticks stalling out in the shallow faces...I still use them most of the time but really tall pine and bigger oak...I use the current face. I have also been using siz wheels to swing my pine in the steep ground units lately more than kerf dutchman. I kinda like a siz wheel, but I have to perfect it still, I can pull them but I am not near even 90% success rate yet...I actually lost one today but it was due to too much back sweep.

As far as my back...probably the only thing I was blessed with is a strong back...I literally have what looks like a 8 pack from mid to lower back. I do use my knees but NEVER "take a knee".

As far as my audience...that was my boss! LOL! We been cutting together on this rough ground for a couple of days. I let him do the radical Water Oaks on steep ground....those things will kill your ass! And quick too! My boss twisted his ankle up there yesterday so I was having to fall my sets and go over and top some of his...the under brush from the big ones was pretty ridiculous. I could walk the logs out but they were usually suspended about 6 to 10' when we side hilled them.

Hey Husk...you're gonna like my new saw I have on the way...no...you're gonna REALLY like it! It's a secret and it's unveiling will be in a video! LOL! Hell RandyMac might actually give me a thumbs up on the saw...who knows

Thanks for the 'splanation! I like the 660 just fine! If the stumps have to be that low could you just put the first cut horizontal and flush to the ground and make u'r second, diagonal cut above it? Seems like being bullbucked on the stump height adds another layer of difficulty. Looked like a good day in the woods

That's a big, nice looking oak. Always fun to look good with a live audience. I really enjoy the videos, thanks for posting them. I'm thinking about getting Bitz, Rounder, TS and NM some helmet cams for Christmas. I'd be in wannabe fallers hog heaven. I'd prolly also need to send TS his own personal IT guy as well:laugh:.
Nerd question. Are you sniping the gunning cut to get it off the stump, or just to open the face?
Tech question: Why does that saw sound like it has a valvetrain? Not a bad sound, just different

Medical advice: I hope u'r getting that low with u'r knees and not u'r back

That sounds is from a choked up muffler. The outlet on the newer 660s is only about a 1/2". They used to be 3/4" and a dual port on the front.

I never did check anymore on my dual port...I gave up after a month, the saw shop never called me saying if it was off back order.

Husk yer right on the 3 cut face..IDK, it's like I go on auto pilot and just do it that way. I never have tried open face in 2 cuts....I think about it sometimes but never end up doing it. I should try it..IDK it's like a mental block er something.

I never did check anymore on my dual port...I gave up after a month, the saw shop never called me saying if it was off back order.

Husk yer right on the 3 cut face..IDK, it's like I go on auto pilot and just do it that way. I never have tried open face in 2 cuts....I think about it sometimes but never end up doing it. I should try it..IDK it's like a mental block er something.
I would give a big husky to be able to fall like you

Hey Nate ,was in montana over the weekend ,i did not see the doug firs you were telling me about ,are they more east ? i was in the western part of the state ,every tree was a pine there ,some decent sized ones for pine too

Sounds like you were too close to Idaho still. That's the pine state. Lol

Or, you were too far south, like Missoula. From Libby east you should have seen billions of DF.

Sent using two cans and a string.

Some pics from a couple of weeks ago. More of a sinking than a falling pic. This was about midway through this mess. Actually had it buried worse later. Finally got it out by hooking chains to each back tire chain and then hooking the other ends to a couple of trees. Walked it right out of there in low gear. Damn near didn't break the suction though.

Skidderstuck.jpg

Any guesses?

Tapedlog.jpg

A little wrench turning fun.

Trannyup.jpg

You bucked your log with the nail still stuck init maybe? I always wondered if that could happen! LOL!
Yep! I didn't think it was going to take off like that. It didn't want to come out with a tug and I was too lazy to walk back to it. So I bucked it. It started moving slowly and before I knew it I was running after it! Couldn't catch it though and it tore the tape right off the spool! ****ed it all up internally too. That's what I get for being lazy and in a hurry. A new one for the books for me.

Back