Fiskars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl023/5

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a fiskars x25 or x27 from experience which would be best for around 5'8" height? thanks

I'm 5'8" as well. I started with the original super split model that is the same length as the x25 iirc. I bought the x27 and have since only picked up the SS once in the last 1.5 years. I split on a large willow round. The "wrist snap" was much easier to learn with the shorter model but like I said, I haven't picked it up in a while.

I'm 5'8" as well. I started with the original super split model that is the same length as the x25 iirc. I bought the x27 and have since only picked up the SS once in the last 1.5 years. I split on a large willow round. The "wrist snap" was much easier to learn with the shorter model but like I said, I haven't picked it up in a while.

I also have the original SS and the X27, and I've concluded the same thing. (6'0" here)

I am going to differ on opinion from the rest here. I have never used the X25 but I do have the original SS which is similar to the X25 in length. I also have the X27. I am 6'4" and I prefer the shorter SS over the longer X27. The X27 tires me out faster and my accuracy and technique suffers.

If you want to wail with all your strength like a traditional maul then get the X27. I can split stuff with the SS, using good technique, that I can't split with the X27.

Just like golf, baseball, or ringing the bell with a mallet at the carnival, it isn't all about brute strength. I bring the swing through roughly 90 degree arc starting with the fiskars parallel to my body and ending perpendicular. Just before the strike I bend my knees and snap my wrist. The wrist snap is critical and made much harder to do repeatedly with longer X27.

I imagine the Fins laughing smugly as they designed the X27, they built the perfect splitting tool in the SS but the know it all americans want a longer handle. So they gave it to us in a slightly inferior tool called the X27.

I
I imagine the Fins laughing smugly as they designed the X27, they built the perfect splitting tool in the SS but the know it all americans want a longer handle. So they gave it to us in a slightly inferior tool called the X27.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure those finns aren't vertically challenged.

I am 6'1" and use the shorter one. Most of the time I split while on my knees, so I save my back. See my thread "dan is slinging wood" to see what this technique will do.I felled, limbed, bucked and mostly split that maple in 6 hours. It is very efficient.

Dan

I am going to differ on opinion from the rest here. I have never used the X25 but I do have the original SS which is similar to the X25 in length. I also have the X27. I am 6'4" and I prefer the shorter SS over the longer X27. The X27 tires me out faster and my accuracy and technique suffers.

If you want to wail with all your strength like a traditional maul then get the X27. I can split stuff with the SS, using good technique, that I can't split with the X27.

Just like golf, baseball, or ringing the bell with a mallet at the carnival, it isn't all about brute strength. I bring the swing through roughly 90 degree arc starting with the fiskars parallel to my body and ending perpendicular. Just before the strike I bend my knees and snap my wrist. The wrist snap is critical and made much harder to do repeatedly with longer X27.

I am 6'1" and use the shorter one. Most of the time I split while on my knees, so I save my back. See my thread "dan is slinging wood" to see what this technique will do.I felled, limbed, bucked and mostly split that maple in 6 hours. It is very efficient.

Dan

Gonna have the wife order a x25 40.99 free ship she shops that place often thanks for the input.:msp_biggrin:

I'm 6'4(36.5 sleeve length) and I really prefer the X27. I have the X-25, but have noticed that over-swings tend to head my way much more than with the X-27.

I'm vertically challenged. This is what I split with.

attachment.php

I'm 6'4(36.5 sleeve length) and I really prefer the X27. I have the X-25, but have noticed that over-swings tend to head my way much more than with the X-27.

You need you about a 10 lb head 48" long handle sharp splitting axe. You could probably work up an old maul head or have it done at a machine shop, shaped like the original supersplitter head, then make your own loong handle or have a good woodworker make it.

I'm serious. I really don't think these manufacturers have enough sizes in quality axes out there designed to fit various sized dudes. I can swing upto a 36" axe or maul fairly well, and I'm only 5'5" and small framed, skinny, 130lbs with my boots on. Really.. I see no reason why big mooskies a foot taller than me and a 100 lbs (whatever) or more heavier couldn't swing a much larger axe. You swinging a 36 would be like me trying to split everything with like a 2lb hatchet with an 18 inch handle, just silly. You hang some more weight on a foot or so longer handle would build up some serious kinetic force.

I posted this thought on a thread last year or so, something like a wood splitting halberd kinda sorta tool.

Either way, no matter how tall you are I think a longer handle is safer. We should all be splitting over a used tire around the splitting stump, but I bet many are like me and have not rigged one up yet, or split in different locations. A glancing blow, or a miss can have a very sharp Fiskars embedded in your Sgt Hulka, ankle or shin. A longer handle might get the ax head into the dirt before it contacts body parts.

Either way, no matter how tall you are I think a longer handle is safer. We should all be splitting over a used tire around the splitting stump, but I bet many are like me and have not rigged one up yet, or split in different locations. A glancing blow, or a miss can have a very sharp Fiskars embedded in your Sgt Hulka, ankle or shin. A longer handle might get the ax head into the dirt before it contacts body parts.

Yep, I split into a tire now, on a short block. If it doesn't it, wedge and sledge first to make the chunks fit. I've had a few close calls with the Fiskars when I first got it, learned my lesson.

Yep again, a longer handle and standing back, it wouldn't be possible to overswing enough to get hurt, it would hit the ground first.

I should try and make me a four foot handled splitting axe of some kind just for fun. Not a 10 lb head, but around a 4-5lb head. Maybe grind down a 6lb maul head. I've always been a good "shot" with anything I have honestly tried to get good at.

Ha! Still waiting for someone else here to split the wooden match long ways!

Back