Halder Simplex Splitting Maul- Testing for the first time.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maul ratt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm testing out the Halder Simplex Splitting Maul for the first time. This maul weighs 9lbs and is 35.8" overall and made in Germany. Has anyone else tried this one? So far, I'm very happy with it after splitting for one day. I have a huge pile of firewood that the utility company cut, so it's all in different lengths and species.
What are your thoughts? This one has a replaceable nylon face for hitting wedges.
Thanks!

Nice video. Looks to be a great splitter.

It's interesting that many of the big names seem to be on a common theme with the shape of the face on their splitting tools.

I'd be curious to see that poll do some wedge driving.

Nice video. Looks to be a great splitter.

It's interesting that many of the big names seem to be on a common theme with the shape of the face on their splitting tools.

I'd be curious to see that poll do some wedge driving.
Haha, funny you should ask. I'm planning on a follow-up video testing it with wedges. Halder makes a high end wedge, so I'm getting that shipped to me and the video will soon follow.

Good video again. For future reference, Siberian elm is usually a pretty decent splitting wood. The only elm I've really had much trouble with is American elm. Red elm is usually not bad either. American elm, cottonwood, and spruce are about the worst splitting woods I've ever found. Boxelder is right up there too just because it never grows straight.

Anywho, just thought I'd share my experience with tough species of trees for hand splitting. Everybody loves to see a new tool actually work instead of failing on a difficult piece of wood so keep doing what you're doin

Back