Hand Filiing chain holder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gui272

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I don't post often and just cruise aroud reading everything. This time i can't find what i'm looking for and i'm sure it's out there somewhere.

I hand file my chains for my Stihl chain saws. Both my 066 and 036 run 3/8 chain and i'm looking for a way to mount something into a bench vise that will esentially clamp down on the chain so i can file it and it will stay tight and still.

i think something like a electric grinder has to hold the chain would be perfect.

Does anyone know of anyhthing out there that would do what i'm looking for. i need something that will work with any chain or size so i'm thinking like 12 to 14" wide.

i recently started filing some chains for extra cash for my buddies and something like this would allow me to do it quicker and probably better too.

thanks for any help!

A lot of times I use an old bar and two pair of vise grips. Clamp one through the bar stud slot and one on the other end of the bar. If you get them tight it works really well unless you push hard enough to turn the bench over.

Find yourself an old saw vice intended to hold a 10" or 12" circular saw blade for filing, I used one like that for years to hold chains when filing. If you are patient enough and use the search function you should be able to find photos of that and other similar solution.

I can't post photos from my Kindle...

Mark

I have used this old vice that was used to hold hand saw blades for hand filing. It will hold a chain pretty tight for filing, but I now usually just file my chains mounted on the saw.
100_8560640x480.jpg

look in the old art martin thread

Seems like, years ago, someone showed how to make a simple one.
dl

Just posted a thread last night about one I made.

Its not 14" long but one could easily be made that long, I don't think you need it that long anyway, since most file guides only let you file one tooth at a time, so this is no big deal.

attachment.php

Just posted a thread last night about one I made.

Its not 14" long but one could easily be made that long, I don't think you need it that long anyway, since most file guides only let you file one tooth at a time, so this is no big deal.

attachment.php

I have one similer to this but mine is made out of two bits of 4mm perspex
it's all I had on hand and it works grate

I just file them on the saw, place the bar in a vice and tighten the chain fairly tight, sharpen one side reverse the saw and sharpen the other side. I use a paint marker to mark the tooth I start on.

I just file them on the saw, place the bar in a vice and tighten the chain fairly tight, sharpen one side reverse the saw and sharpen the other side. I use a paint marker to mark the tooth I start on.

Yes that works great, I've been doing that for years, but wanted something that held the chain more firmly, which helps allot when square filing.

chain vise

About 30 yrs ago a friend gave me a chain vise that I clamp to the edge of my bench. Simply lay the chain in the slot, tighten the wing nuts, file along the alignment lines, repeat, turn the chain around, repeat. Simple. He only had two of these and used one as his primary chain sharpener and gave me his spare. I was thrilled!...I did as much business with him as I could. He had the very first Stihl saw shop I ever saw...saws, nothing else. An old-school guy for sure. A little shack of a place and saw guys from three counties coming and going all the time. I miss him even now. Maybe something like this is what you're looking for...I still use it. Doubt the co. is still in business but might be worth a check (Blue Jet Corp., Hopedale, Ma.) Sorry, have no idea where you can get one now though! I do believe I've seen something like this, only metal and I'm not sure who makes it as a stand-alone vise...Keep looking or maybe others have a better idea. I'll try and up load a couple of pics...

DSCF0004.jpg

DSCF0003.jpg

Last edited:
Logosol sells a vise through Bailey's (see attached PDF). Have not tried it myself.

There have been a few others though the years, and some home made ones posted in several threads. I think that there is a market for a good, basic one.

Philbert

I have cobbled up several different filing vises over the years. My latest (sorry, no pictures yet) is my best yet. I use a sheet metal clamp vise-grip to which a mounting bracket is attached which lets it be held in a vise or bolted or clamped to a bench or the tail gate of the truck. A short section of guide bar is attached to the inner side of one of the jaws. The guide bar can be adjusted vertically for all chain pitches to position the teeth so the jaw edges can clamp on the rivets of the teeth. The 4" wide jaws let me file two teeth per clamping, even with .404 chain. The guide bar is rounded and slotted on both ends, with slot to accomodate .063 on down. There is a detachable plate on the rear side with angle indicator lines for those chains without witness lines. As said above, it is much easier to come close to exact filing if the tooth is rock solid in the vise, and gripping the rivets instead of the drive links really helps. My files have handles on both ends -- I use collet-type tap wrenches on the file end. I haven't tried square filing with this vise, but it should be fine since the vise doesn't extend outward from the chain very much. Maybe I can get some kid to take pictures to post. I acquired to materials to make eight of these, and I am curious to see if others like the setup as much as I do.

Sharpen on the saw, with a fairly tight chain, use the chain brake to hold the chain in place. That's all the holder you need.

I use a bench vise to hold the saw by the bar. If you want to get fancy you can make some copper "earmuffs" for the vice you you don't mark up the bar.

Holding The Saw or Holding The Chain

I know you are asking about a device to clamp the chain so it doesn't wobble while you are filing the cutters. I use a differnt method and you might want to try it.

This works really well for me in the shop or if I am out cutting somewhere. I keep two C Clamps one on the right side and the other on the left side of the bar towards the end just before the nose begins to round over.

I can set the saw on a saw horse in the shop or on my tailgate when out cutting and file away with no wobble. Keeping the clamps on the saw when driving around keeps the saw from rolling over going around corners etc.

Nosmo

Logosol sells a vise through Bailey's (see attached PDF). Have not tried it myself.

There have been a few others though the years, and some home made ones posted in several threads. I think that there is a market for a good, basic one.

Philbert

Here is a direct link to Bailey's

Bailey's - Logosol Filing Guide

I've just been using a Craftsman 6" vice that has not been all banged up. I lay the chain across the gap between the jaws and clamp on the driver links very lightly so as not to ding them with the jaw teeth. I turn the chain around to do the opposite cutters.

Might try the logosol. That looks simple enought but effective too.

I was also looking at a woodworkers vise but this looks better yet i think.

Does anyone have any experience with this unit and how do you like it?

Best one out there was invented by a member here. "Tree Machine". One of our sponsors carries them.]

Looks like a nice device. Still have to have the right size bar available for a variety of different gauge and width chains. Some of that may depend upon how many different chains you run or sharpen.

This is one of the other threads on this topic. It has some nice photos of older and improvised vises that people have made or used.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/my-new-saw-chain-vise.120500/#post-1935099

Philbert

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back