Hard Case for 70cc Saw w/ Wrap Handle and 25"-plus Bar - Available?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnMike

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
First, a confession: I'm a case nut. I put EVERYthing in a case. I even put my spare bars in a case (a Plano Compact Arrow Case, in case you're wondering. :) $15 at Wally World.)

opplanet-plano-molding-compact-arrow-case-112700.jpg

I've done what I think is a near-exhaustive internet search for a hard case big enough to handle my Stihl MS-441 R C-M, and I've come up empty. I've found lots of cool cases and bags, but no hard case is big enough to house this powerhead with wrap handle and 25" bar.

Stihl doesn't make its own case big enough for a wrap'er, and none of the other manufacturer's cases will work either (Husky, Echo, etc.). I have the Northern Tool case for my old Craftsman/Poulan, and while its scabbard will work, the box is too small for the powerhead. (Bummer, 'cuz this is a pretty nice case.)

There are several soft bags, which is what I might eventually end up with, but I'm wondering if anyone has found any hard-side case that will accommodate the 441 with a wrap handle and 25" bar?

The closest thing I've found is a rifle case made by Pelican:

1740-4T.jpg

But even this is about two inches too short to fit the powerhead and 25" bar (need 42.25", this case is 40.98"). It will fit every other dimension beautifully, however. (Crazy expensive, though...$350, as much as a good second-hand saw!)

I tried a forum search for "hard case" and that just buried me in hits.

Anybody got any leads on a big honkin' case that will fit my 441 with a wrap and 25" bar?

By the way, according to my measurements, the saw, with cheap Stihl plastic scabbard, has the following exact dimensions: 42.25" L x 12.5" W x 12.125" H

My current solution is a plain 'ol Rubbermaid Action Packer, but I have to remove the bar which is a huge PITA.

Thanks.

You won't find one that's affordable. Outside of spending hundreds on Pelican or Grundig, which quickly reaches the price of the actual saw.

Just cover the bar/chain with old fire hose.

Other than that, I've seen homemade plywood boxes before.

But even this is about two inches too short to fit the powerhead and 25" bar (need 42.25", this case is 40.98"). It will fit every other dimension beautifully, however. (Crazy expensive, though...$350, as much as a good second-hand saw!)

Thanks.

We'll mike, I read the difference as 1.27" but it might as well be a mile if the saw's too big. How about setting it in the plano case diagonally? Once the saw is in that monster, how do you plan on carrying it?

We'll mike, I read the difference as 1.27" but it might as well be a mile if the saw's too big. How about setting it in the plano case diagonally? Once the saw is in that monster, how do you plan on carrying it?

Good idea, for sure, and I did think about trying to get the saw to fit diagonally, but doing so would require the case to be ~1.25" wider than it is. I might be able to shave that down by slackening the bar completely and forgoing the scabbard. But that kinda defeats the purpose of having a good case into which I quickly and easily stow my saw. It's just right enough to be wrong, as my dad used to say.

Aside from the crazy cost, it'd be a sweet set-up if I could make it work. All my amateur radio and SAR gear is stowed in Pelican cases...makes it easy to pack for "deployment."

As for carrying it, yeah, it'd be a handful for sure. But the case does have wheels and a pull handle on it.

The golf bag idea is a good one, too. I'll poke around at that.

The last option is a custom-made ATA case. I can get one of those made to my exact dimensions, but they're kinda heavy...and also kinda spendy.

Thanks for the input, gents!

Good idea, for sure, and I did think about trying to get the saw to fit diagonally, but doing so would require the case to be ~1.25" wider than it is. I might be able to shave that down by slackening the bar completely and forgoing the scabbard. But that kinda defeats the purpose of having a good case into which I quickly and easily stow my saw. It's just right enough to be wrong, as my dad used to say.

Aside from the crazy cost, it'd be a sweet set-up if I could make it work. All my amateur radio and SAR gear is stowed in Pelican cases...makes it easy to pack for "deployment."

As for carrying it, yeah, it'd be a handful for sure. But the case does have wheels and a pull handle on it.

The golf bag idea is a good one, too. I'll poke around at that.

The last option is a custom-made ATA case. I can get one of those made to my exact dimensions, but they're kinda heavy...and also kinda spendy.

Thanks for the input, gents!

Well there is another method. At work when an odd sized piece of equipment would come in and we needed to make a case for it I would take some rigid Styrofoam and make a case for it. Cut it to the size I wanted made the internal cut outs and such and once I had it as I liked I would then spray it with a latex paint, a few coats and then apply carbon fibre and resign to it. ( Fibreglass in your case ) now you have a light strong custom case. Food for thought.

Why case it do do drive so fast and turn that it slams around? How do you carry a big plastic box from shed to truck? I understand radio gear that is sensitive to moisture and dust and that has many components to set up and pack but if your leaving saw together its just one thing to grab?

Seen loggers mount a 2x4 or something next to the toolbox and stand them vertically through a plunge cut but a bar that big would be trouble like that as the too would hit the bed.

If a permanent thing I would make a plywood box but you won't carry it far!!

Sent from my C5155 using Tapatalk

Why case it do do drive so fast and turn that it slams around? How do you carry a big plastic box from shed to truck? I understand radio gear that is sensitive to moisture and dust and that has many components to set up and pack but if your leaving saw together its just one thing to grab?
I too thought it was a strange request and quite frankly a waste of time and money. HOWEVER, that's why I MYSELF don't have cases. This man is entitled to his own form of OCD, because we all have SOME. For this reason, I decided to add what little information I had above, as I had seen a few things like this done in the past. He came here for help. I'm gonna try and help. Whether or not I agree with his desire is none of my business. Ya know?

MtnMike - When you do find a solution, post it. It would be interesting to see what you come up with. :chainsaw:

I have been searching for a case of some type as well. Although I am not worried about having the bar inside the case, just the powerhead. I thought about using a large ice cooler of some type. No matter what you come up with, it really needs a handle on the top of the case, it would be much easier to carry.

I am on the fence about using a case. I can see using a case while storing the saws and if you haul your saws in the cab of your truck, don't want to get the seats all dirty. The problem with cases is they take up so much space.

Got a bit of an update...

z71mike: I appreciate the defense and for your thoughts and comments. Much appreciated. I do indeed have my own compulsions and form of OCD and keeping everything in tidy cases is one of them. I don't expect everyone to understand. In my case I don't have a truck in to the back of which I can toss my saw, and many of my jobs require 3-4-hour-long drives and sometimes several vehicle transfers. It's handy to have a uniformly-shaped, liquid-and-odor-containing protective case for my saw. (Much like Memory pointed out: Nice if you have to haul your saw in the cab of your truck.)

I have been searching for a case of some type as well. Although I am not worried about having the bar inside the case, just the powerhead. I thought about using a large ice cooler of some type. No matter what you come up with, it really needs a handle on the top of the case, it would be much easier to carry.

Memory: If you're just looking to stow your powerhead, try the Rubbermaid Action Packer line. That's what I'm using currently, and it works pretty well. Be advised, the 8-gallon tote looks like it would work, but it will not fit your 441 R C-M. I know, I have that tote and the same powerhead and it will not fit. (Just tried it in the garage.) I'm using the 24-gallon, which fits the powerhead and two bars (a 25" and a 20"), and my tool belt...and a bunch of other random things! No top handle, but the side handles are pretty good, and if I recall, this thing floats. :D For around $35, pretty dang good.

ydb-057_1z.jpg

I saw another candidate at Wal-Mart the other day. It's the "PLANO Scent Control Storage Tote" ($29). Dimensions are 37.19 x 14.0 x 18.0, big enough to fit a barless powerheard, with the bars on the side. Maybe the "scent control" feature will keep the fumes in! Ha.

I talked to Stihl HQ today and the guy I spoke to ("Wayne") told me their case maker (Stihl cases are not actually made by Stihl) is redesigning their cases, and they "anticipate that it will accommodate the larger saws." I asked about it fitting saws with wrap handles...he was a little less sure about that, but it was a possibility. Supposedly the new cases will be out sometime in February. So, not exactly iron-clad information, but it might be worth the wait to see what shows up. Good chance Wayne's information is waaaaay off, he was just a call center guy.

Since starting this crusade, I've come up with the following few options:

1. Pelican 1740 case and dressing my 441 with a 20" b/c. Or doing as RockJock suggested and modifying the case with a 2" pop out at the end to accommodate the 25" bar. I've done fiberglass layup before, and Frenching something like that into the case would be pretty trick. Still dang expensive!
2. SKB H4816W case, which is big enough to handle both my 441 with up to 28" b/c and my Poulan w/ 20" b/c, and a Scepter combo mix/oil can. A 75-lb arrangement (including the weight of the case)--probably a bad idea.
3. Custom-made ATA (or "road") case (vinyl-covered 1/4"plywood)--these are the cases you see music groups using to haul their gear.
4. Custom-made shipping case, which is similar to an ATA case but made with polyethylene walls instead of plywood.
5. DIY Special of garden-variety plywood, glued and screwed to my exact dimensions, painted with leftover garage floor epoxy paint.

Option 5 will probably be the winner! About $20 out the door. Probably kinda heavy....but reasonably functional....though I may smell like mix when I show up at the job!

I'll try to remember to post back with any finished results. Thanks again for the thoughts/ideas.

Kewl deal. Make sure to take pics of any custom job.

Okay, five months later and I'm finally done with my "carry case", a term which no longer describes what I finally came up with. It's now really a giant cutting equipment storage trunk!

I started out with the intent to build a handy storage case for my MS441, something to contain leaks/spills/odors, that would be easy'ish to transport, and that would protect both the saw and stuff around the saw. (Remember, no truck, so all my stuff shares space in the back of a Jeep.) I started laying out the design so it would be a sung fit for my saw and a 25" bar. After I got to looking at it I thought, "hmm, I bet I could get my mix/bar-oil combo jug in here." Then I thought, "hmm, if I '69' my saws, I bet I could get my 50cc saw in here too." Then I thought, "I'll probably swap out the Craftsman for an MS261 this Summer...probably oughta upsize a bit to fit it." Then I thought, "I probably oughta add a little space for a few extra bars....and maybe I could get my chaps and helmet in here, too....that'd be cool, all my stuff would be in one handy location." Then I thought, "well, probably would be good to have my tool belt in here too, since all my other stuff is in here....oh! and maybe a few extra loops of chain...and tools...and a quart of H1R...oh, yeah, and maybe extra wedges and maybe the RatioRite, too..." So, with my late father's advice ringing in my ears, "anything worth doing is worth over-doing", this is what I finally ended up with:

ChainsawBox-5_zpsc6c0125c.jpg

^^^Yeah yeah, I know it's huge and heavy and probably impractical for the type of cutting most of you guys do, but it's perfect for what I do and how I do it. Just thought some might find it interesting. Besides, z71mike asked for pictures. :)

ChainsawBox-1_zpsb53c1886.jpg

^^^Butterfly closures. Long story on why I put two handles on top. The short version is that it makes the empty trunk liftable by one person. Or liftable when full by some guy whose first name is Gunther...or Mr. Universe or something.

ChainsawBox-2_zpseab5d319.jpg

^^^ Spring-loaded recessed handles secured with ten screws and T-nuts.

ChainsawBox-3_zpsc2e9abed.jpg

^^^The wheels make the trunk pretty easy to move around. They're 3.5"-diameter wheels, so they roll over uneven ground pretty well...though not over typical forest floor.

ChainsawBox-7_zps6b6283bf.jpg

^^^Yup, that's a NEW 441--just 1.6 hours. it's a recent warranty replacement for my idle-hating original 441.

ChainsawBox-4_zps02a316d7.jpg

^^^Lined with anti-fatigue floor mat stuff. I had a bunch of it laying around so I thought I'd try it.

ChainsawBox-6_zps5647b2f6.jpg

^^^So much for my plan for being able to easily access the saw. I look at it this way: It encourages me to put on all my PPE before the saw comes out.

Other details: 1/2" Baltic Birch 10-ply plywood, painted with the deck paint leftover from my trailer floor replacement project. Probably much more than most sane people would do for the storage of a brute tool, but after I started to plan it, and then work on it, I thought, "why not make it nice? Show a little craftsmanship--see what I can do." So I tried some things I've never done before--like a bypass, overlapping lid lip. And the best part is that my nine-year-old son helped me build it, so we took lots of time talking about tools, techniques, design, execution, etc., and the importance of doing things right and taking pride in your work. That's probably worth more to me than the trunk itself. Twenty years from now I fully expect my son to be using this trunk and the saw and hopefully he'll look back and reminisce a little...I know I do when I use that old Craftsman saw that my dad I used 20+ years ago.

So...fun little Spring project. Thanks for reading.

-Mike

Well the thread is 5 years old. I may be a newbie to the forum. But I found a soft case with a plastic bottom that fits my ms362 c-m-r. The dimensions sounded to close not to order it. Makes a tight fit but she’ll go in it with the 25” guide bar & chain on. Found it on eBay of course. Under the name Power Care. It comes with a 20” scabbard. Not pictured.

Attachments

• 4DC58683-8B23-46BE-9846-759243DE0B64.jpeg
    4DC58683-8B23-46BE-9846-759243DE0B64.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
@MtnMike very nice chainsaw case and very nice job! Have looked at storage transport box for chainsaw and equipment. This gives inspiration to create something :)

Back