Homemade skidding cone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Aaron (Eccentric) stopped by today and we had a chance to test the skidding cone my buddy Jaye fabricated for me. The blue material is heavy plastic from large water drum. Jaye (the guy sitting on the log) put some bolts in the blue plastic to hold the shape, then inserted a traffic cone with base removed. The log was roughly 20 feet long and 10-14" diameter. We pulled it at least 150' with the old '46 Jeep to get it out where we could process the log easily. The log slid so easily that I wasn't sure the log was still at the end of the chain.
At the end of the day Aaron went home with a nice load of madrone and some tasty blackberries.
Here are some pics, so I guess it did really happen....
attachment.php

attachment.php

That's kewl. I bought a Lewis Winch to go on my 394. I too am going to make a cone using two pieces of UHMW, folded over with a couple bolts to hold the shape. Too much for the ready made $159 unit from an online chainsaw supply we all know.

Aaron (Eccentric) stopped by today and we had a chance to test the skidding cone my buddy Jaye fabricated for me. The blue material is heavy plastic from large water drum. Jaye (the guy sitting on the log) put some bolts in the blue plastic to hold the shape, then inserted a traffic cone with base removed. The log was roughly 20 feet long and 10-14" diameter. We pulled it at least 150' with the old '46 Jeep to get it out where we could process the log easily. The log slid so easily that I wasn't sure the log was still at the end of the chain.
At the end of the day Aaron went home with a nice load of madrone and some tasty blackberries.
Here are some pics, so I guess it did really happe

Need to see a video of it in action!

Latest posts

Back