Huskee 22 ton 6.5 HP log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine as been OK. Cycle time is a bit slugish, but the 6.5 Honda starts easy, and I have yet to gag the thing with 30"+ oak and cherry.
It might slow to almost a stall on knots, but always punches through.

When you get it home, double check the resevoir. Mine was 3 qt's low, and several fittings were leaking.

If you have a glitch, call speeco, don't bother with the TSC store.
They don't know squat about splitters, sprayers, or tractors for that matter, and don't have a clue. They should change thier name to "Horse feed supply center".

Good luck to ya!!
Dingeryote

I just had this problem and based upon what everyone said here, I called their 800 number. They sent me a new Lovejoy connector within a week or so. No charge even though it was out of warrantee.
BTW, they didn't cut a hole in the spider, this is just a different type of spider put out by Lovejoy.

Thank you for the reply! My dad will greatly appreciate your helpfull advice.:)

My son recently bought me the 27 ton for Christmas ( getting too old to split by hand ) and it works fine, a little heavy to haul with a 10 hp Bolens down in the woods though....

Before he got me the Husky, I also bought a 12 ton pneumatic from the west coast and I split 28 inch ash with it so dont be hooked on tonnage only. Great item if you have sufficient air to the unit. Absolutely the best bang for the buck going, bar none. Its now for sale since I have the gas unit.

:greenchainsaw:

Late to the game here but...

Agree with the comments that the 22 ton Speeco/Huskee will split everything you can feed it. I've never been able to stop it with all sorts of hardwood.

One thing to check.... make sure the engine mounting bolts are all tight! My motor seemed to be vibrating more than normal one day after about 15 hours of use from new. I shut it down and found ALL of the bolts / nuts loose!

Tightened them and no problems since! Good splitter for the $$$.:clap:

JD

I have a Huskee 22 ton Just bought this year and I'm quite happy with it so far. It's split some really gnarly twisted stuff. Keep the wedge really sharp and it will cut through wood like cheese. It's light enough to move by hand. I like the auto return. Push the lever and you can get another peice ready while the piston is retracting. Always wear work boots when splitting. And watch where you put your fingers. Should have bought one years ago.

I have the 27 ton Honda-powered splitter and my buddy has the next step down (20? 22?) with the Briggs engine.

I like my bigger cast or forged foot better than his smaller steel one. The small one really needs to be extended to make vertical splitting worth a poo. Anything too big to lift to the horizontal mode is invariably non-cylindrical and a real beeyotch to make "take hold" and not just lift the splitter off the ground. Actually, we prefer to split or cut rounds if we need to versus vertical splitting. Getting on your knees to muscle a big log around sucketh.

I like my main beam's "cradle" much better than his flat-top. The cradle actually does a great job of holding the log, whereas you must hold the log on his machine.

His splitter seems to have a faster cycle time, but we've not been able to stall either one. I generally run muine at 1/2 or 3/4 throttle anyway, so cycle time isn't a big priority for me.

I never did warm up to my Honda. It just ever did impress me like I expected a Honda to. At any throttle position. Merely adequate, nothing special. I'd not select that splitter just for the engine. Buddy's Briggs is just fine. Starts easily, idles well, revs smoothly and produces adequate power. My machine is two years old, his is one. Time will tell about longevity.

I don't think the manufacturer primes these before they paint them. My tank had sheets of paint peel off, and there was no difference in color between exterior and bottom layer. I've since camoflaged mine to keep it more inconspicuous to tweakers when I do have to leave it outside. Nothing like a towable bright red and looks-like-everyone-else's splitter to attract thieves.

The tongues are kind of flimsy, they really don't take well to a jack-knife back-over like one would expect. Don't ask...

Put a ball bungee around the tongue behind where the kickstand folds into, that way you can bungee it in place while you fiddle with the pin.

My model leaks (gas or oil, I forgot) when it's tilted rearward (foot on the ground, coupler in the air, not in vertical splitting position). His doesn't, so he just stands it up to pin the kickstand in place. I can't, hence the bungee.

The safety chains are about 4 links too short. Lengthen 'em.

The wedge is built such that a pair of voids exist in the top where you can lodge fiberglass driveway markers (orange with reflective tape on the top) so you can see that you still have the splitter as you drive. I'm real freaky about that for some reason.

The steel hydro line along the cylinder is placed perfectly that you can wedge a hatchet in there for those stringy hangers-on. And it says there going down the road. Oops.

Keep your fingers clear of the wedge a bit longer than you think you should. The wedge is followed by the cross-bolt and that will turn your fingertip a lovely purple color. Again, don't ask.

Good luck.

I have the 27 w/ the Briggs & Stratton engine. Tongue seems to be fine ( I havent flipped mine ) :) engine ( 6.75 hp ) is more than adequate, its the pump that determines how well it will split. All splitters, and maybe they do, should have the auto return if you are in a hurry to grab the next one while its retracting. While maul splitting sufficed for 30 plus years, I guess its time to give my shoulder/rotator cuff a break. Dont know how much it weighs but its got to be 500 to 600 lbs.

BTW, Honda's had a recall on the engine, actually I believe it was the tank that was/could leak so you may want to check that.

:greenchainsaw:
:cheers:

Changes

it seams that now I have split all the real big wood on My property I'm going to build a new beam to swap out so that the wedge is on the beam and the push plate is on the ram. I work next to timberwolf and got one of there wedges to but on my beam,along with a table. now the wood will be split and piled in a row as the splitter is moved ahead with the wood coming off the splitter. I'LL be able to reinstall the original beam by moving three pins to change out the piston and beam.

nice post bump r, i believe i have the same splitter, it is the 27 ton one with a honda engine from lowes. wish i know of this site ahead of time but either way i am very happy with the splitter overall. i have never stalled it even with some big knotty red cherry. if i can get it in the ram it has broken through for me.

i have split about a dozen cords with it and have loaned to my family who have done at least that with it. only problem i have ever run into is it was hard to start in some real cold weather (mid teans). once i warmed up the oil some it was fine.

going on three years no with it and i am happy.

huskee 22 ton log splitter

jredsjeep:

"only problem i have ever run into is it was hard to start in some real cold weather (mid teans). once i warmed up the oil some it was fine."

My friends new 22 ton Huskee (TSC) log splitter (3 months old) would not start yesterday. I checked the owners manual and he was running 5w30 oil in the engine for temps below 40F. The temperature here in michigan was in the mid-teens. Were had to remove the spark plug from his B&S engine and squirt starting fluid in the piston chamber before it would fire up. He is running the hydraulic fluid that came with the unit when he purchase it. The owners manual says to replace it with ATF for temps below 40F.

"When you refer to warming up the oil it was fine" - are you talking about the engine oil or the hydraulic oil???
And what process did you use to heat it up???

I use a borrowed 20 year old huskee 20 ton log splitter with an old B&S engine and running conventional hydraulic fluid and it does not have this problem. I was wondering if the problem was due to the new B&S engines today are running tighter engine tolerances (due to emission standards) as what might explain the differences between the old and new machines!!

k8crd
michigan

mine is runnig the honda engine but i didnt do anything fancy, just put a holegen light under the engine for 20-30mins and it took enough of the cold edge off it would fire fine then. i have never had that problem before with the older engines either.

mine didnt come with hydraulic fluid and i honestly dont remember which 5 gallon pail i grabbed from tractor supply to put in it. the engine is just running standard straight 30 wt. it is not usual for me to run it this cold i prefer to split while it is in the 40-50 range.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen the newly designed Speeco log splitters at TSC

I stopped at a TSC (in another town) and saw a 22 ton and 34 ton Huskee (Speeco) log splitter outside the store.

They have made a few design changes to them.

1) wider log cradle

2) larger foot piece on the 22 ton (eng. cast steel), not sure if it is larger on the 34 ton. My buddy bought at 22 ton Huskee at TSC (about 3 months ago, it has a smaller foot than this unit).

3) There are two (2) holes drilled in the I-beam on both the 22 & 34 ton units I saw, to accept an optional $89.00 log catcher shelf.

TSC did not personally have the shelf physically available to look at.

TSC customer service person said these units came out 6 months ago but I have not seen these at my local TSC probably because they were still selling off the old design
models.

TSC customer service person said picture of the new design units along with the optional log catcher shelf will be in the new TSC catalog when it comes out.

Has anyone here, bought one of these new designed 22 ton units?

If yes, did you purchase the optional log catcher shelf?

k8crd
michigan

it seams that now I have split all the real big wood on My property I'm going to build a new beam to swap out so that the wedge is on the beam and the push plate is on the ram. I work next to timberwolf and got one of there wedges to but on my beam,along with a table. now the wood will be split and piled in a row as the splitter is moved ahead with the wood coming off the splitter. I'LL be able to reinstall the original beam by moving three pins to change out the piston and beam.

ASE,

When ya get done tinkering, I'd greatly appreciate some pics of your set up.

I have been thinking of reversing things on mine, and adding a table behind the wedge, so I can just toss the splits into the truck instead of bending over all the time. The issue is all the Big wood I have around here means I will still need to be able to reverse things back in order to vertical split.

Right now I'm still in the thinking it over and gathering ideas stage.

Thanks!!
Dingeryote

4-way splitter head on a 22 ton Huskee ?

Has anyone used a 4-way splitter head on a 22 ton Huskee 6.5 HP log splitter?

i would be very interested in this to....

When I had one and posed the same question it was strongly recommended by a lot of knowledgable guys that putting a 4 way wedge isn't a good idea. The fact that the wedge is mounted on the ram can result in damage due to excessive twisting.

I must be doing somthing a little different than most folks. I find the 22 ton splitter a little short sometimes when splitting elm.

Back