Husky 350 Port Job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I acquired this saw yesterday as payment for some saw work. It's an '07 model that has seen little use. Unfortunately, it had a short life and was straight gassed. I cleaned up the cylinder and will be putting a 353 piston in it, just like rms61moparman did. I ported this one as well. I thought this might interest those of you that want to spend less than what a 346 costs, and still have a nice running saw. I do not yet have the new piston, so it'll be a while before we get to see it run. I'll also be putting a degree wheel on it, and making any necessary adjustments to the port timing. For now, the bulk of the port work is done.

No, the ports aren't all polished and shinny. This will be a work saw, and it's not trying out for any beauty pageants.

Unfortunately, I don't have any before pictures. LOTS of work was done to the transfers. They needed a ton of work to flow like they need to. The intake and exhaust were widened a lot. They're now at 70% of bore. The rear transfers are probably at least 75% wider than they were stock. It sure is nice having easy access to them with the cover off!

Case and gasket matched. This was straight across with no radius. Care must be taken so as to not create a hole, since there's a sharp inside corner on the outside of the jug here.

912309291_uT3jT-M.jpg

Both the top and bottom of this divider were beveled.

912309342_ewg7W-M.jpg

912308727_8S2fL-M.jpg

There was a large hump here that mated with a similiar on in the cover.

912309235_yuQan-M.jpg

912308890_UNK9K-M.jpg

This is what you end up with.

912309007_czfkS-M.jpg

Here you can see how much the intake and transfers were widened.

912308496_tGnAz-M.jpg

912308535_mZp8g-M.jpg

This is a shot straight into the rear transfer.

912309079_LXA7g-M.jpg

I do have one bad scratch above the exhaust. I still expect it to have good compression. The saw was free, and I didn't want to invest a lot in it. I wanted to see what I could get out of this cylinder, rather than put a 346 topend on it. Also, I will be polishing up this bevel.

912308550_bZTYS-M.jpg

Here you can see how much the intake and transfers were widened.

912308496_tGnAz-M.jpg

912308535_mZp8g-M.jpg

This is a shot straight into the rear transfer.

912309079_LXA7g-M.jpg

I do have one bad scratch above the exhaust. I still expect it to have good compression. The saw was free, and I didn't want to invest a lot in it. I wanted to see what I could get out of this cylinder, rather than put a 346 topend on it. Also, I will be polishing up this bevel.

912308550_bZTYS-M.jpg

What do ya know, that jug looks nearly identical to my 359s, scratch and all. I didn't take any pics of my port work as I didn't want you guys to see my crappy looking jug...lol. I did leave some of the divider in the transfers, though I sharpened the bottom and narrowed the bump quite a bit.

Great looking work Brad. Thanks for the pics.

Are you going to lower the jug and do a pop-up???
If you do that 350, will SMOKE your 346!!!

I am amazed at how much those saws are choked down from the factory and they still run respectable.
I debated trying to get the transfer covers off and massage that area as you did, but I didn't.
Looks like if I want to have any hope of not getting spanked by your saw, I may have to go back in there.

Mike

Are you going to lower the jug and do a pop-up???
If you do that 350, will SMOKE your 346!!!

I am amazed at how much those saws are choked down from the factory and they still run respectable.
I debated trying to get the transfer covers off and massage that area as you did, but I didn't.
Looks like if I want to have any hope of not getting spanked by your saw, I may have to go back in there.

Mike

Mike, you slacker!!!!:greenchainsaw:

Yes!

That one will work if you have the 45mm jug and not the 44mm.

I'm really looking forward to seeing that saw run!
I'll put in a bid when you sell your 346.LOL

Mike

Your sure gonna be giving them rings a work out around them upper transfers. Them things look like ring hangers to me??? Are they angled like the stihls or are they flat at the top?

Yes!

That one will work if you have the 45mm jug and not the 44mm.
Yes, it's 45mm. I think they went to that in 2003 with the EPA version, correct? So are you telling me that yours has a smaller cylinder than mine? My, oh my, oh my:D

Your sure gonna be giving them rings a work out around them upper transfers. Them things look like ring hangers to me??? Are they angled like the stihls or are they flat at the top?
Yes they're flat. It's ported no differently than many other a saw I've ported. The transfers on my 346 are probably wider.

Amazing how you got to that point in a day and it’s taken me well over a year to work my way to something like that. I’m only at 65% on the exhaust and my upper transfers are only .56” wide. Right now I’m running the Golf 353 piston, it’s held together so far but I wish Meteor made a 353 piston. The one other thing that I just did a couple weeks ago was remove the sides of the piston under the pin to help open things up a little more. Hope you don’t mind another pic.

attachment.php

Anyone know if a Husky 51 or 254 piston will work? I can them in Meteor or Episan, but the only 353 piston I can find is a Golf? I'd rather use the Meteor or Episan if they work.

Brad aren't you going about this backwards, you're supposed to know what piston your using before you port...Not the other way:laugh:

Here's the piston for the non EPA Husky 50 or 51. It's dimensionally identical to the 350 piston. I'm glad to have found a Meteor replacement. It only varies maybe .001" in pin to crown heigh and overall height. The skirts are significantly wider. You can go as wide as you want on any port with this piston. The piston is not a limiting factor. I'm axious to get this bad boy together tonight.

916605801_Fdx7F-M.jpg

916605749_3BeQW-M.jpg

916605786_C94ga-M.jpg

Back