Husqvarna 257 to 262XP Conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scandy14

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I finally finished up my conversion this weekend. I bough this saw off CL last November and finally got motivated to get it going.

I picked up a used OEM cylinder and installed a Meteor 262 piston from Baileys
Had to purchase a new manifold and a few gaskets, replaced the fuel line and filter. Replaced the seals while I had it it torn down too.

It fired right up and idled nicely. Did not have to adjust the carb at all. The throttle is very responsive, and revs quickly. It sounds great. I have not put a bar or chain on it yet because I am waiting on two of the front buffers to come in. I will be running an 18", .325".

The only other differences between the 257 and 262 are the AV buffers, top cover, air filter system and the clutch. From all my research, best I can tell I have myself a 262XP!

I will get some pics posted in the next few days.

Thats my setup on my 262 as well, 18" and .325 with a 7 pin rim.
Works/ed well, I am currently rebuilding mine just waiting on some new seals and a few detailing bits.
Good luck with yours they are a great saw, you can surprise a lot of non AS heads with them;)

Last edited:
Thats my setup on my 262 as well, 18" and .325 with a 7 pin rim.
Works/ed well, I am currently rebuilding mine just waiting on some new seals and a few detailing bits.
Good luck with yours they are a great saw, you can surprise a lot of non AS heads with them;)

I sure would have tried 8-pin, and maybe even 9-pin, on that saw! :)

The saw is stripped down to the crankcases at present so I may just get a n 8 and 9 pin and try them!
Just looking out for a new Clutch, the old one is pretty worn and I may as well build it right.

Brad I think you need to find yourself a good 262xp or maybe a not so good one and fix it up.
Actually I think from memory the rim I have is an 8 pin, I remember thinking wondering if the saw would pull it when I got it to replace the 7 pin that it came with.

Just a sidenote, I have a new crank from Chainsawr and the newer crank has a hollow big-end pin, the old one from 1990 had a solid pin big-end, I wonder was this done for reasons of balance/reciprocating weight or Lubrication?
It's interesting to see the incremental changes made along the lifetime of a saw.

The saw is stripped down to the crankcases at present so I may just get a n 8 and 9 pin and try them!
Just looking out for a new Clutch, the old one is pretty worn and I may as well build it right.

You need a small 7-spline drum for .325x7 and 8, and a standard one for .325x9. :)

Parts for Husqvarna 257 to 262xp conversion

I finally finished up my conversion this weekend. I bough this saw off CL last November and finally got motivated to get it going.

I picked up a used OEM cylinder and installed a Meteor 262 piston from Baileys
Had to purchase a new manifold and a few gaskets, replaced the fuel line and filter. Replaced the seals while I had it it torn down too.
******************************************Reply begins**********************************
I have good basic mechanical abilities, but am inexperienced at working on chainsaws. So when the Husqvarna 257 my father had given me years ago seized up while running a tank of questionable mix through it (trying to finish off the stump of a tree I’d just fallen), I was a little intimidated at the thought of rebuilding it, especially by the price of an OEM cylinder/piston set for the 257. Encouraged by the posts on this site about converting the 257 to 262 or 262xp, I decided to give it a try. Finally got ‘er done. She rips!

Thanks to all for the helpful posts.

The thing that took the longest for me was waiting for shipping on each of the next parts I discovered I needed to replace, so I thought I’d describe what I ended up with for anyone else planning a similar conversion. I searched but couldn’t find anyone who actually spelled this out so I kept planning to use the 257 parts until I could see they weren’t going to work. Of course, this is just a description of what I did, and I’m not taking responsibility for anyone else’s effort or application.

The after market cylinder and piston kits for a 262xp are really cheap compared to a 257 OEM so this conversion is a no-brainer if your 257 needs a new top end. The parts I bought:
1. After market cylinder and piston kit (complete with ring, wrist pin and retaining clips)
2. Cylinder gasket (if it doesn’t come with the cylinder kit)
3. 262 style manifold (Husqvarna part # 503-54-41-01)
4. Manifold gaskets (Husqvarna part #s 503-54-44-01 and 503-54-43-01)
5. Seal collar (Husqvarna part # 503-54-42-01)

Everything assembles nicely, but the larger cylinder raises the carb a bit from the stock 257 position. I shimmed the carb intake hold-down screws with a couple of #10 flat washers under each side. Snugged up nicely with no apparent strain on the parts. This setup also makes the top cover snug, but seems to work well; doesn’t seem to impede induction air or cooling. The 257 muffler, decompression valve and carburetor worked fine.

Hope this helps someone, like others’ comments helped me.

Latest posts

Back