hydraulic splitter VS engine driven splitter?????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesleybucky

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am planning on building a wood splitter and wondering which one would be better? I've been looking at diagrams on the web for building both and they seem like simple projects if you have the resources. I am not familiar with which one would split Mesquite better, Mesquite is a very hardwood.
I have 4.6 acres of Mesquite wood to cut. I have a 30hp kubota tractor to run a Hydraulic splitter and a spare 4 stroke motor to use also as a portable unit. I am going to need a cylinder, relief valve, tank, hydraulic lines I beam and all the other hardware to build either unit.
My question is: which one will be stronger splitter hydraulic or engine driven? If you have knowledge into this topic please post. Thank You

It depends on the attainable psi of the pump and size of the ram piston. You also need to assure your engine will drive the chosen pump and all fittings and hoses are rated for the high pressure. Standard black iron or galvanized fittings won't cut it and are dangerous.

There have been several good posts on this subject. Assuming you plan to buy the materials you don't have, you may want to consider buying a manufactured splitter.

Last edited:
I read a reply to an old thread that discussed this and one opinion was "why put the hours on an expensive tractor engine just to run a splitter?" You should run the splitter using an engine that is cheaper and easier to rebuild.

rmihalek said:
"why put the hours on an expensive tractor engine just to run a splitter?" You should run the splitter using an engine that is cheaper and easier to rebuild.

my thoughts exactly

I have a 2810 Ford which I think is about 32 hp but I was told that the pump would be slow to run a splitter. If you hook it to your tractor hydraulics you might check to see if it pumps fast enought for a splitter.

Danny

danrclem said:
I have a 2810 Ford which I think is about 32 hp but I was told that the pump would be slow to run a splitter. If you hook it to your tractor hydraulics you might check to see if it pumps fast enought for a splitter.

Danny

You would need a PTO pump.

Latest posts

Back