I bought a stolen chainsaw!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You made every effort to take care of things, good on you. I too, despise thieves, if it was my saw, I would gladly reimburse you and buy you and your crew lunch!

Mrs Holden MY Wood always has something to say, as she walks on water.

so now all you need to do is place ads on C/L and or the news paper stating that you have recovered a stolen saw and offer it back to the person that can prove that it is theirs otherwise all you've done is cover your butt for buying a stolen saw by claiming that you bought it to return it to the owner.....

as for what i would have done, I most likely wouldn't have bought it at all and just turned over any info to the police....

so now all you need to do is place ads on C/L and or the news paper stating that you have recovered a stolen saw and offer it back to the person that can prove that it is theirs otherwise all you've done is cover your butt for buying a stolen saw by claiming that you bought it to return it to the owner.....

as for what i would have done, I most likely wouldn't have bought it at all and just turned over any info to the police....

That would be one way of looking at it. I am certainly balancing the risk of loosing $250 against the possible gain of a great deal on a really nice saw.

Except that isn't my claim. I was motivated to buy it because I wanted a good deal on a saw, and then I discovered that it was almost certainly stolen. I boldly confronted the seller, struck the price down to a "certainly hot" price, and then I did my damnedest to catch them for prosecution.

Failing at that enterprise, I did what I thought was my best to recover the situation. Having negotiated a price for the saw, I either had to put up the money, or watch the thieves walk away with it.

Many would have kept the deal and kept the saw, reporting nothing. This would be a complete lack of moral integrity.

Some would have taken the smooth, easy, high ground and sent them packing. That will give you a sense of being honorable, but does nothing to stop thieving, and it certainly doesn't help catch them. It is the easy way out. No risk, no corruption of morals, no satisfaction for correcting a wrong. As a confession on my part, no chance of coming up with a good saw, either.

I chose the very rocky middle ground. I paid hard cash for the saw, reported it to the proper authority at risk of my loss, and I am at much further risk of involving myself with prosecution of the bad guys and potential retaliation.

I will certainly confess that I was tempted by the value of the saw. Quite frankly, I don't care about the engine, since I have lots of other saws bigger than that. I was genuinely interested in the 36" bar, since I have a 660 without one, and I recently attempted to buy a 36" bar for it. And I also probably have a mild case of CAD, also.

BTW: isn't a 36" bar a little big for a MS-460?

I read it and anyone thinking he is a hero is clueless. He bought a newer 460 for 250, it is obvious that is a stolen saw. You are only as good as the company you keep. I will not even waste my breath with thieves and stolen tree equipment.
I question his motives, he bought a saw hoping to save a few bucks thats it.

I disagree, I am not saying he is a hero, but I think what he did is the best way to handle the situation. The stolen saw is going get bought either way. But at least he made and attempt to get the thieves arrested and the saw returned to the owner. He said he called the police and reported the ser# of the saw so there is still a chance the owner will end up with the saw and he did this knowing he could be out $250.

Whats the better answer after he attempted to do the right thing and the cops wouldnt come down? Just let the guys walk off with the saw. The only other thing I would have suggested is calling the local police and have them come and stop the dudes and at least get their info. At least then they would know where to look when they confirm its stolen.

I prolly would have tried to confiscate the saw and scare them off by threatening to call the cops... And if that didn't work myself and my guys can be pretty persuasive...

That is if I was fairly certain the saw was stolen.

I can't stand a thief. I have had so much #### stolen that it burns me up to think about it. That's why I would have no problem taking the saw from the thieves and try to get it back to the rightful owner.

This is for the OP of this thread , buying stolen saws makes ya a little scummy no matter how many cops ya called and reports ya filed its just wrong to take from another man who no matter how rich he may be did some sort of work to purchase that saw , I was robbed by a scumbag for more than 5k of equipment and it sucks ,AND YOU SUCK FOR SUPPORTING SUCH BEHAVIOR bottom line ...... I hope this thread is closed and your banned .....

That would be one way of looking at it. I am certainly balancing the risk of loosing $250 against the possible gain of a great deal on a really nice saw.

Except that isn't my claim. I was motivated to buy it because I wanted a good deal on a saw, and then I discovered that it was almost certainly stolen. I boldly confronted the seller, struck the price down to a "certainly hot" price, and then I did my damnedest to catch them for prosecution.

Failing at that enterprise, I did what I thought was my best to recover the situation. Having negotiated a price for the saw, I either had to put up the money, or watch the thieves walk away with it.

Many would have kept the deal and kept the saw, reporting nothing. This would be a complete lack of moral integrity.

Some would have taken the smooth, easy, high ground and sent them packing. That will give you a sense of being honorable, but does nothing to stop thieving, and it certainly doesn't help catch them. It is the easy way out. No risk, no corruption of morals, no satisfaction for correcting a wrong. As a confession on my part, no chance of coming up with a good saw, either.

I chose the very rocky middle ground. I paid hard cash for the saw, reported it to the proper authority at risk of my loss, and I am at much further risk of involving myself with prosecution of the bad guys and potential retaliation.

I will certainly confess that I was tempted by the value of the saw. Quite frankly, I don't care about the engine, since I have lots of other saws bigger than that. I was genuinely interested in the 36" bar, since I have a 660 without one, and I recently attempted to buy a 36" bar for it. And I also probably have a mild case of CAD, also.

BTW: isn't a 36" bar a little big for a MS-460?
I should have said it would look like you are covering your butt, I think you had the best intentions but you still enabled them by buying the saw...they still made money just not as much, if people would stop buying from Joe Blow off the street and only buy stuff from dealers and such and not give the crooks a place to sell then why would they steal other than to have possession of the item...

Last edited:
Too bad you couldn't pay them in counterfeit money.
Jeff

I would have taken that saw and through it right in the windshield of there crackhead mobile than danced on there neck for a few minutes, and NOT called the cops or anything else besides you think there gonna say that they got the #### beat out them trying to sell a stolen saw to a fat guy .... Probably not

you acknowledged the saw was stolen, and bought it anyway..
isnt that already a crime ?

Actually...No.

It is a crime to intentionally buy, sell, or trade in stolen property. It is assumed by law enforcement that you are guilty of the crime of receiving stolen property if you are in possession of anything stolen and do not cooperate with law enforcement to find the guilty party that allowed it to be in your possession. "Intent" is the significant factor in the criminality of buying anything.

The thieves that steal things but are only caught with the goods are only charged with "receiving", because their participation in the actual theft may not be provable. They might even allege that someone sold it to them, but unless they can give law enforcement proof of some sort that they are telling the truth, they get charged. I know, because I have put people in jail who were caught with stuff that was stolen from me.

Pawn shops are notorious places for stolen goods to be liquidated; yet they don't get charged with "receiving", either. Why, you may ask? Because they are also the greatest source for recovery of stolen material. They do exactly what I did: they id the seller, and they report to the authorities what they have acquired.
Then it falls to the police to implement the law.

Those that hold my actions in disdain...that's ok. I don't mind. Just run the rest of your lives with the same moral commitment to integrity, and I will be one of your admirers.

SCUMMY BOTTOM LINE :angry2:
Actually...No.

It is a crime to intentionally buy, sell, or trade in stolen property. It is assumed by law enforcement that you are guilty of the crime of receiving stolen property if you are in possession of anything stolen and do not cooperate with law enforcement to find the guilty party that allowed it to be in your possession. "Intent" is the significant factor in the criminality of buying anything.

The thieves that steal things but are only caught with the goods are only charged with "receiving", because their participation in the actual theft may not be provable. They might even allege that someone sold it to them, but unless they can give law enforcement proof of some sort that they are telling the truth, they get charged. I know, because I have put people in jail who were caught with stuff that was stolen from me.

Pawn shops are notorious places for stolen goods to be liquidated; yet they don't get charged with "receiving", either. Why, you may ask? Because they are also the greatest source for recovery of stolen material. They do exactly what I did: they id the seller, and they report to the authorities what they have acquired.
Then it falls to the police to implement the law.

Those that hold my actions in disdain...that's ok. I don't mind. Just run the rest of your lives with the same moral commitment to integrity, and I will be one of your admirers.

What a circular thread. I have been ripped off too many times to mention and would be happy to see my #### back!
Half the guys here have nothing but bad attitudes and worse opinions! For that matter opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and they all stink.
I think you attempted to do the right thing. I would have done the same and handed the saw over to the PD. If it comes back around it is yours, if not hope to get your $ back.

stolen chainsaw

without seeming a little redundant, your intentions were honorable but purchasing what you believed to be stolen property from thieves
means that the score just went from 0 to 0 to bad guys 1 good guys 0. The detective handling this case was not available or could not get to it until next week?, did you have a number for the detective to contact directly? I would have had someone else on duty to talk to or the chief. If you could not get anywhere with the KCPD I would have contacted the State Police. Maybe time was not on your side, something about a serial number not being available for proper ID? you contacted the dealer and he ID the saw from another tree company theft of late? I would have gathered as much information about this matter and forwarded the information to the police. I also would have to walk away from the perps sooner or later they would have been caught.
elg

Btw who gives a **** about the legal aspect. Just do what ever is easy right. Bang a marines wife while he is on deployment, kick a dudes azz in a wheel chair, scare a old lady into removing a healthy tree on S.S, etc.. Why people are so caught up on the legal aspect of everything is beyond me. No one has any morals or self respect these days. You bought a stolen saw and there is no way to jutify that choice.

My take is that the next guy would not give a rat's tail. In his case he has done all due diligence, plus a bunch more. If it is stolen, then the cops have some very good leads; once they see his picture they will probably know who he is.

I don't understand why you guys are banging on the OP. He has already called the cops and if the saw is stolen it will get back to the previous owner. The OP may or may not lose his money in the deal depending on how generous the previous owner is. ( if the saw is really stolen.)
As for him supporting crime by buying the saw. If it turns out to be stolen, and the cops care enough to put in a little effort, then they should be able catch the bad guys with the evidence provided by the OP.
I think the truth is most of you would have bought the saw and called it a good deal. Too many others would have walked away saying you didn't want to get involved. Either one of those choices help the crooks, but few of you seem to understand that little fact. It takes a real pair to do what the OP did.
I also noted that nobody came up with a better way to try getting the saw away from the crooks and back to the rightful owner if it turns out to be stolen.
If you want to come down on someone here try #####ing about the law enforcement folks that passed the buck because one of them was gone.
Rick

I think you did the best thing you could given the situation, you kept records, paid a low price, so whether you get to keep it or give it back, the 250, shouldn't be to much to ask of the origional owner.

Good luck with your endeavors.......

Back in the late 70's I had a guy come in and offer me a truck load of brand new in the boxes Homeys,for $50.00 each. Naturally I thought they were stolen and declined.
Unfortunately I was not thinking and failed to get the plate #,but did get a good look at the truck and driver.I did notify the police but I do not think anything came of it.
Later the same year a different guy comes in with over 300 brand new Plumb axes,for $2.50 each.I told him I was interested but I would have to go to the bank and would pay him the next day.He said he had bought them at a warehouse auction,he claimed he had sold most of them and wanted to get rid of the ones he had left.I figured they were stolen. So when he left I called the State Police. I explained the situation to him and the fact that I thought the axes were stolen.The Trooper told me he would check and get back to me.Later that day the Trooper called back and told me he could not find any reports of these axes being stolen. He told me as far as the State Police were concerned it was okay to buy them.
I bought them and gave one away with each saw purchase,as a promotional.I also sold them at a discounted rate from the retail price.As far as I know they were not stolen.I never had trouble with them and never saw the guy again. Today 30 some years later,there could be more of an electronic trail on them with bar codes and so on.

Back