If you could only have 2, what would they be?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lightweight Duo

Stihl MS192 with 10" bar and PMM (1.1mm) chain.
Husqvarna 543XPG with 13" bar and .325" (1.3mm) chain.

If I could only have two.......

While wearing my Stihl hat, the MS261 C-M and the MS461R.

When I put my Husqvarna hat on, the 550XP and the 372XP.

Now when the Dolmar hat comes out......5100 and 7900.

:cool2:

Only two? That's easy.... Husqvarna and Jonsered would be the 2 brands I choose.:hmm3grin2orange: I would never limit myself to 2 saws. I have over a hundred screwdrivers as an example (but only need 2), so why limit myself on something as important as a chainsaw? It's my favorite tool. It's how I pizz off the neighbors, how I tune out the wife, how I heat my home, etc. It is fundamental to my very existance.:msp_thumbup:

I don't really think a two saw plan is much of a plan. Most homeowners can get by with one saw. If you NEED two saws, in my opinion you need 3. small, medium and large. If with a two saw plan you go with a small saw and a large saw, then the middle stuff where most of the cutting is gets left out. If you go with a small and medium or medium and large, one is still not using the right tool for the job sometimes.

My two cents worth.

If I could only have two.......

While wearing my Stihl hat, the MS261 C-M and the MS461R.

When I put my Husqvarna hat on, the 550XP and the 372XP.

Now when the Dolmar hat comes out......5100 and 7900.

:cool2:

Keep your Husky hat on, your other options aren't looking as good - and obviously are heavier! :msp_smile:

Last edited:
To expand upon my three saw recommendation. The 50cc class saw is the most important. Spend some money and get a good one. The little saw can be found cheap. A $50 bill will solve that category with a used Poulan XXV or similar. Even a Homelite Super 2 or such will meet that need.

For the larger saw, either an older "heavy metal" saw could be put in this category or a later model used saw. So if you spend $500 to $600 on a pro grade 50cc class saw, $50 bucks on a small saw. Allow a couple hundred or so for a larger old saw. (or up to $400 will get you into a beat up Stihl 044, 066/660, 372XP etc.

Maybe you already have all the saws you need and just have CAD! lol

To expand upon my three saw recommendation. The 50cc class saw is the most important. Spend some money and get a good one. The little saw can be found cheap. A $50 bill will solve that category with a used Poulan XXV or similar. Even a Homelite Super 2 or such will meet that need.

For the larger saw, either an older "heavy metal" saw could be put in this category or a later model used saw. So if you spend $500 to $600 on a pro grade 50cc class saw, $50 bucks on a small saw. Allow a couple hundred or so for a larger old saw. (or up to $400 will get you into a beat up Stihl 044, 066/660, 372XP etc.

Maybe you already have all the saws you need and just have CAD! lol

$400-$600 will bring you a nice 288xp or a very nice 2101.:rock:

I like my ms260 and the ms440 for my 2 saw plan, and then again I like the 346xp and the 2186. I enjoy em all...Prob. be using the 350 and the sp80 most this winter...LOL!

I've decided to start reducing the number of saws sitting around my garage. I'd like to get it down to 1 or 2 saws. I'd mainly use them for firewood or blazing trails a the hunting property. I plan to sell all 7 saws I have now, and buy 1 or 2 pro saws. So far, I think I'd really like to have a 346xp...

Going from 7 saws to 2, right? :msp_confused: I mean, how much space are the other five saws taking up?

Back