It is December, the ms500i watch game

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What day will the 500i finally get released in the USA? First 2 weeks?

• Total voters
I’m retired from a 42 year career in automation technology. I learned in the very beginning that there are a few people that will stand in line or camp on the sidewalk overnight to be the first to buy that brand new version of whatever it is. On the other end of the scale is the person that won’t buy anything until it is so tried and true that it’s almost obsolete. In the middle,are the majority of buyers who wait for it to be proven in use.

Being that this is the first EFI saw, as far as I know that is, I think a good plan would be to not be in the group that sleeps on the sidewalk all night Waiting for this saw. They will most certainly get it aorted out and make a great saw, but the first ones shipped will almost certainly need some sorting out.

I’m retired from a 42 year career in automation technology. I learned in the very beginning that there are a few people that will stand in line or camp on the sidewalk overnight to be the first to buy that brand new version of whatever it is. On the other end of the scale is the person that won’t buy anything until it is so tried and true that it’s almost obsolete. In the middle,are the majority of buyers who wait for it to be proven in use.

Being that this is the first EFI saw, as far as I know that is, I think a good plan would be to not be in the group that sleeps on the sidewalk all night Waiting for this saw. They will most certainly get it aorted out and make a great saw, but the first ones shipped will almost certainly need some sorting out.
Efi has already been proven in the TS500i concrete saw for 10 years. It’s not new tech

Thanks huskil. I didn’t know that. Is the TS500i a Stihl product? Is the technology new to Stihl?

One of the places I work just got one, one freakin saw in. Almost too pretty to give the a tree service.
We’ll see. Nothing can possibly live up to the hype that’s been created.
Its a chainsaw. Will get throw, dropped, run over and chipped up just like any other saw.
Oh and abused unmercifully. Like every other saw.

I finally got my hands on a 500i this morning! It's sitting on the shelf, for sale, at a farm supply store east of Portland, Oregon!
I was really tempted to take it home.... but my 462 is barely broken in, so I left it for some other lucky soul!
It felt good, and its got a 32" bar on it. $1,439.95

I finally got my hands on a 500i this morning! It's sitting on the shelf, for sale, at a farm supply store east of Portland, Oregon!
I was really tempted to take it home.... but my 462 is barely broken in, so I left it for some other lucky soul!
Was it a 32” ES lightweight bar? My dealer seems to think that selling a lightweight for power saw with a lightweight bar should come with a $60 up charge.

Based on the balance of the saw, I don't think that it was a lightweight bar. I was not able to remove the bar cover, and all the tag said was 32" B & C.
I would definately want a light bar. I really like the 28" on the 462, and that is most likely use the most on a 500i.

Based on the balance of the saw, I don't think that it was a lightweight bar. I was not able to remove the bar cover, and all the tag said was 32" B & C.
I would definately want a light bar. I really like the 28" on the 462, and that is most likely use the most on a 500i.
I agree. A 28 seems to be the right match for light and maneuverable, but still able to snip a pretty good tree. At least our western species.

Local hardware store got one in the other day. I was surprised to see how small it looked, for some reason it looks bulkier in pictures. Then I picked it up expecting it to be somewhat heavy - WOW is it light!

Was that the wrap handlebar version?

Back