Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patience and a steady effort checking ebay is about the only easy way to locate something like that...I have a set of 90 cases that are in good shape....as in unbroken and holes not stripped but they are ugly paint wise.....hardly any red left...I always hate to see mismatched case halves.
will the 90 cases fit the 801,if so,how much for the set?

i have been to chainsawr&sawagain sites.they have many 801 part listings,but most are out of stock. any other suppliers of jonsered parts out there?

Well there's other places out there...but I have dealt with mainly those two in the past and combing eBay for deals. There's a very popular place where the guy was under investigation for selling 'hot' chainsaw parts. He was never arrested for lack of proof, but the newspaper story about him indicated he was paying sleazeballs for saws that were stolen....i.e., he wasn't doing the stealing himself, but was happy to pay for saws of 'unknown provenance'. Make of that what you will. I had a bad experience with him on eBay buying a supposedly OE Husky workshop manual. It was made to look like those real, orange reprints that have been issued for Husky saws. It was a poor atempt at that. I have some of those real orange manuals and they're great stuff.

Kevin

i have been to chainsawr&sawagain sites.they have many 801 part listings,but most are out of stock. any other suppliers of jonsered parts out there?
You have to ask Scott (chainsawr) about parts your looking for and it goes a long way if you already have the money to buy because he has to go comb through his mountains of used saws to look for the parts I'm question.

I recently acquired this saw, not really sure what it is but it still has nearly 200 PSI compression and a good spark. Any chance of finding a replacement shroud and AF cover as both are broken on this saw.

View attachment 633169

View attachment 633170

View attachment 633171

View attachment 633172

Mark

Mark that's either a 50 or 51 virtually the same saw except the 50 is 42MM (44cc) and the 51 is 44MM (49cc)......not a lot of them around as they weren't in production all that long and were the basis of the 49Sp and 52/52E lines which had much longer runs. They come up on ebay from time to time but they generally are in rough condition and/or rather spendy. I don't have either version. I guess your idea of cleaning it up and being patient is your best bet.....rare saws but not lusted after much so one will come your way eventually. Good luck....I'll keep my eyes open...

Mark that's either a 50 or 51 virtually the same saw except the 50 is 42MM (44cc) and the 51 is 44MM (49cc)......not a lot of them around as they weren't in production all that long and were the basis of the 49Sp and 52/52E lines which had much longer runs. They come up on ebay from time to time but they generally are in rough condition and/or rather spendy. I don't have either version. I guess your idea of cleaning it up and being patient is your best bet.....rare saws but not lusted after much so one will come your way eventually. Good luck....I'll keep my eyes open...

I hate to disagree with Robin, but I believe the 50 was the only silvertop version with the early ones being 44cc and the later 49cc. When the 51 came along they were all 49cc and had the black top covers. I've had a 50 for several years, but have never even taken the covers off to see what it's like inside. So many projects...............:dizzy:

I hate to disagree with Robin, but I believe the 50 was the only silvertop version with the early ones being 44cc and the later 49cc. When the 51 came along they were all 49cc and had the black top covers. I've had a 50 for several years, but have never even taken the covers off to see what it's like inside. So many projects...............:dizzy:

I didn't realize the late 50s were 49cc....thought they were all 44cc....these saws are pretty much a mystery to me having never seen or used one personally and you are correct I believe the 51 was in fact a black top model...however I also believe the 51 airfilter cover was the same as the 50 with the plug protector built into the cover rather than a bolt on like the later 49/52 versions, but was painted black rather than silver. Was looking at it more from a spare parts perspective of what would fit Marks saw.:cheers:

I may have a line on some parts that would need to be painted to match, I expect I can do a bad job of painting and make them look old and used...

In the mean while I will go through it and clean it up a bit. The anti-vibe mounts for the rear handle seem a bit loose but that may just be old, hard, shrunk rubber. I doubt I will ever use this for more than just a GTG saw so I can live with a few small issues like that.

Mark

Well, however J’reds did the actual silver paint was not the best. It was the first part to look ratty and fade. I don’t know if it was the choice of colors or the paint itself.

So.....you’d be hard pressed there not to make an improvement on whatever you did....lol!

Kevin

I collect knives. The value in this knife would be if it was never used and pristine. It was used and sharpened a lot. That makes it about a third of it's value or less....a value that maybe cannot be established, but guessed at. You could buy some fantastic custom knives for that money, albeit not a knife made for Jonsered.

In custom knives (if this is to be considered a custom knife), it's all about the steel, how the blade attaches to the handle, handle construction etc. Traditional bone handles like that are more for show knives than function.....as they show wear, the reason most sit in collections. If I really liked the knife, the balance etc I probably would have used it too....but that absolutely kills the value. I think the price is from Crazytown, but maybe he knows what he's doing.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back