Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It needs a couple items like a choke pull, sparkplug cover, decomp hole cover plug and recoil screen to be real nice....LOL...have all those items in stock NOS....still $500 with shipping is more than I want/need it.....got 80s and 90s but no 801s....

I’m with you Robin....like to have a 801 to complement the 80/90’s I have, but not at that price. Plus, I would expect this saw to be 100% original & complete at that price.

And besides I’m still working the saws so nice $$$ paint just comes off....lol.

Kevin

Yeah it would just be pretty much a shelf queen to fill out the collection.....and filling that space is not worth that kind of $$$ to me.....so....I'll still have a space there....one may come my way yet......I've always found that with enough patience the things I truly want eventually appear to me....for the price I want to pay...usually. My 111S came my way in this manner....I did pay price for it but it was in perfect condition, very, very low hour and came with a real nice 36" roller tip in .404....new chain too. And a real nice sawmill attachment......so though I paid more than I wanted the condition and extras made it swallowable.....

Yeah it would just be pretty much a shelf queen to fill out the collection.....and filling that space is not worth that kind of $$$ to me.....so....I'll still have a space there....one may come my way yet......I've always found that with enough patience the things I truly want eventually appear to me....for the price I want to pay...usually. My 111S came my way in this manner....I did pay price for it but it was in perfect condition, very, very low hour and came with a real nice 36" roller tip in .404....new chain too. And a real nice sawmill attachment......so though I paid more than I wanted the condition and extras made it swallowable.....

I totally agree with the patience and waiting thing. Except some of us are long in the tooth so if I have to wait another ten yrs for something, that may not be the best trade off anymore....lol!!!

Kevin

An 801 is one of the first saws I acquired when I started seeking the older Jonsereds. It is a little rough and I haven't got to it yet. I seem to have an easier time finding projects than finishing them. My neighbor is trying to persuade me into buying his Timberjack skidder and this Super W6-TA arrived yesterday:

P1010001 - Copy.JPG

We been working the Heck out of an H Farmall the past couple weeks pushing brush. The old stuff can Get er Done. Helps when your not afraid to scratch a little paint!

We put the neighbors 11 yr old on er yesterday. It was a hoot watching him. Took em 1&1/2 acres to turn the old beast around. Good times!

Tim was the first person I knew to have an 801. I’ve never see them in the PNW. I’ve seen lots of 80/90’s by comparison. I don’t know if these saws were sold primarily east of me or they’re low production models?

I’m just dreamin’ here but how cool would it be to have actual factory production numbers of saw models and where they went in the world.......

Kevin

Compression is low....are they new Cabers? If so you’ll gain some psi after five tanks or so. If you can get her around 145psi or better, she’ll rip forever. Did you convert a newer style ignition to the older saw (I can’t remember what you said you had and would do)?

My favorite J’reds saws designs are the 621, 70E and the 801/80, 90. Not including the 111S because I’ve not run one. Rest assured if I strike a deal with Scott, she ain’t gonna sit on a shelf......lol.

Kevin
After running a few tanks I tore back into this and put a fcast caber ring in.

Will see how she does. Cut the base and did some porting on the exhaust side (just put it back to original height) and was surpised at how much more fuel it needed on the bottom now.

Running it pig rich for now and only made a few test cuts after letting it idle a bit.

Need a new snifter valve for compression tester. But will be interesting to see if it gets any better.

We have 5 or 6 more trees actually big enough justify these saws yet. Just got cold again today so not sure when that's gonna happen.

The other one is really coming to life after a couple tanks but no clue where the compression is. We kept that one stock as far as port timing and the cylinder was in better shape to begin with.

Both will likely outlast me!

About 801's the local dnr used to keep one but they had to replace it in the 90's during a tornado cleanup. Reason was no chain brake.

Must have been a federal thing cause locally it was still in use at the time. Though I think one of the old timers had pulled it out of the attic and resurrected it.

I think it took an 064 to replace it. Rumour is the 801 was a serious beast.

Specs look like there were only ounces in weight difference between the 70e and 801. Definitely one on my want list.

But other things keep coming up like groceries!

‘72 Olds 442: Silver, 4-speed, stolen, recovered, sold for parts

‘67 GTX convertible clone: built from a Satellite, 383, 727, Silver with white interior and black top. Amazing car, lots of fun and countless adventures in the backseat with young ladies. Regret selling it.

‘69 Roadrunner: 440, 727, Dana 60, stupid fast rust bucket. In typical young male fashion I built the hell out of the engine/trans/rear but neglected the brakes/suspension/.etc. scared the piss out of myself one day when i did a pirouette at about 100mph on the highway. Parked the car on the side of the highway, walked to the exit ramp, called my dad from a pay phone to come pick me up. Never drove the car again; posted for sale the next day and sold at a loss.

‘74 El Dorado: big, fat, ugly, 2.73 gears and was like driving your sofa down the road. Purchased for $200. Fun while it was around.

‘74 Duster: OEM 318 cracked a cylinder wall and was replaced with a second hand Diamondback 408 stroker (11.2, Edelbrock heads p/p and decked, 1050 Dominator, enormous cam, roller rockers, 1 3/4 ceramic headers to 3” true duals) 727 with 3250 Ultimate Convertor Concepts stall, narrowed 8 3/4 with 4.30s, partially hidden cage with full backseat. Car was stupid quick (10.49 @ 132 mph 1/4 mile on race gas and cheater slicks). Was daily driver when I was stationed in Beaufort, SC, the wife used to take it to the commissary on Parris Island to get groceries. Hit a deer on the way home from a car show, only dented the bumper. Survived 2 hurricanes in NC before being sold.

Next car will be a ‘69 or a ‘68 Dart with a big block. Since I am a professional cripple now it will be an auto.

Nice! Love the 67 GTX's. A buddy has 4 of 'em. All hemi cars.

Neat story about the '68 Roadrunner. I think we were all guilty of spending all of our $$$ on drivetrains and neglecting everything else.

Have come close to buying a Duster. Back in the 80's they were CHEAP, but try finding a clean one for cheap now!

Have also toyed with a 68 or 69 big block Dart - a GTS clone with a stroker big block would be a lot of fun.

Nobody believes me but.....there was a rich kid in HS who’s father owned a big Chrysler dealership. Almost every day he brought the baddest of the bad stock Mopars to school. Terrible driver, ran into a bridge with a Roadrunner. Didn’t kill him but his dad killed giving him cars to drive.

Anyway......one day he brought a yellow & white trimmed Duster to school that said on the side graphics; 1/4 Mile Duster. It had a raised spoiler in the rear, but unlike the Superbird. I tell this story and nobody corroborates it. But I saw it with my own eyes. I would never race him with my ‘cuda because he was such an awful driver. He let me drive some of his cars however. He brought a blue ‘69 Roadrunner once with a Hemi and what sounded like a full race cam. I didn’t get to drive that one. My guess was that it was a customer’s car because it was over a yr old at that time. Heck, he couldn’t even keep it idling and kept stalling it with the competition clutch it had. That kid was a runnin’ joke around school. We loved the cars though....lol!

Never heard of a 1/4 mile Duster. Sounds like something the dealership added on, but I could be wrong.

After running a few tanks I tore back into this and put a fcast caber ring in.

Will see how she does. Cut the base and did some porting on the exhaust side (just put it back to original height) and was surpised at how much more fuel it needed on the bottom now.

Running it pig rich for now and only made a few test cuts after letting it idle a bit.

Need a new snifter valve for compression tester. But will be interesting to see if it gets any better.

We have 5 or 6 more trees actually big enough justify these saws yet. Just got cold again today so not sure when that's gonna happen.

The other one is really coming to life after a couple tanks but no clue where the compression is. We kept that one stock as far as port timing and the cylinder was in better shape to begin with.

Both will likely outlast me!

About 801's the local dnr used to keep one but they had to replace it in the 90's during a tornado cleanup. Reason was no chain brake.

Must have been a federal thing cause locally it was still in use at the time. Though I think one of the old timers had pulled it out of the attic and resurrected it.

I think it took an 064 to replace it. Rumour is the 801 was a serious beast.

Specs look like there were only ounces in weight difference between the 70e and 801. Definitely one on my want list.

But other things keep coming up like groceries!

The 801 is really an odd duck.....can be looked at two ways correctly. Either as an 80 with the air filtration system of the 90 or as a 90 with an 80 top end......the latter perhaps being the most accurate. A transitional saw anyway you want to look at it.......or...... which one you're looking at really, as the 801's were not all were exactly the same. The late ones were identical to the 90 in every way except the P&C......some of the early ones didn't have the decomp hole in the 90 style engine cover and used the earlier recoil of the 80.

The 801 is really an odd duck.....can be looked at two ways correctly. Either as an 80 with the air filtration system of the 90 or as a 90 with an 80 top end......the latter perhaps being the most accurate. A transitional saw anyway you want to look at it.......or...... which one you're looking at really, as the 801's were not all were exactly the same. The late ones were identical to the 90 in every way except the P&C......some of the early ones didn't have the decomp hole in the 90 style engine cover and used the earlier recoil of the 80.

It’s always been my opinion that they just made the numbers confusing. The 90 came in after the 80 and so the 801 makes sense in sequence because of the later style top cover and AF design but the 90 should have been called the 901. The reason the early 801’s didn’t have a decomp plug was because the 90 wasn’t made yet. When they started making the 90, it shared the same top cover which now had the decomp hole......hence the plug for the still made 801. The AF design of the 801 was a step forward and modernized the AF design of the 80.

As far as the comment about chain brakes, thankfully when I was still loggin’ in the early 80’s the Forest Service and BLM didn’t require us to have them. They did require us to carry a little fire extinguisher and checked sometimes that we had muffler spark arrestors. But usually they just asked.

Kevin

Never heard of a 1/4 mile Duster. Sounds like something the dealership added on, but I could be wrong.

We’ll certainly the collectors haven’t either. Could have been a dealer deal or maybe like Yenko it was a very rare beast. The graphics looked factory.

Interesting note about the hemi.....early in the game you could get the race hemi ordered into your car. But then Mopar decided later on that since racers did their own thing with the hemi, they just made the destuned base hemi available.

And then there was “The Book”. People forget this or didn’t know about it. Any good dealer had one. Basically you could order anything the racers were using on the track and bolt to your Mopar if applicable. Mopar was the only car co in the late 60’s seriously dedicated to street and track racing. GM had their phoney ban on HP and Ford.....well, if it hadn’t been for Shelby they wouldn’t have had anything noteworthy.

Kevin

Here's one out in your neck of the woods Kevin......looks like an older rattle can paint job...but that doesn't mean it might not be a good runner......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JONSERED-1...392922?hash=item1a42d4d05a:g:rcwAAOSwKApac7t9

Lol.....for that money I’d want dinner & a movie before I bent over. No doubt a barn find of some sort with original B&C. I bet the bar is a General, but I can’t see **** on this cell phone.

Yeah, looks like a rattle can Betty. Remember that guy that rattled-canned an 80 I think it was on eBay and I made a comment? He came blazing in here and said I was taking a cheap shot at him personally....the paint even went over on the bar.....lol!

Kevin

Back