Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Madsen's told me a few yrs ago that Silvey was thinking of making a limited run of their single tree jack. I put my name in the hat. Since then, the owner of Silvey died....so that was that. But some outfit in Salt Lake City is making an exact replica of the 45 ton Silvey tree jack. Excited....I raced to Madsen's online catelog to see this puppy!

OMG, it's $2,000.......here it is...if the link doesn't work, it's on Page 6 of their online catelog.
http://www.madsens1.com/PDF/17catonlne.pdf

Kevin

My 10th XF showed up a few days ago. Not in great shape, but the rear handle is intact and I have a few parts saws, so this will be a runner again.

I'm impressed by the skill involved in patching/reinforcing the clutch cover; someone took the time to do that right.

Interesting rivet patern....not sure I agree 100% on his rivet placement with regard to the crack line....but all that matters is that it's strong, right?

Kevin

Wow.....how cool is that??!

Spike 60 outa have those for his shop. Sorry Scott, I have no idea on value or if it can even be established. Take what you can get kinda thing....probably eBay for best price under the models they represent.

Kevin

So i made an impulse buy last night, not really knowing what I was getting into since its very difficult to tell a jonsered 80 apart from a 621 just by pictures, but because I noticed the rear buffer on this particular "621" looked like one from a Jonsered 80 I impulsively bought it lol. What do you guys think this is?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/382456592194

Well boo, lol
Ill see if I can back out, if not, I guess I can try and pass if off to someone who needs parts and get some of my money back

Hold on for pics of the two side by side. The top cover is the giveaway; it is slightly smaller and has a bevel on the side-the 80 does not.

Also the handle has been bastardized as you said....the AV should be external to the handle.

Kevin

Two obvious ways to tell the difference between a 621 and an 80. First the top cover of the 80 is nearly square to the sides...the 621 has a very pronounced chamfer about a half inch wide along both edges. The second is the twin triggers with top actuated high idle trigger lock...only Jopnsereds to use this trigger handle (except the 62 which is just the early 621)......but as Kevin said the handle has been changed to the standard 49 though 90 handle. This is likely a real poor/sloppy fit as the 621 handle is about 3 5/8" between the upper AV ears......the 49 though 90 trigger handles are about 4" between the ears. I would guess this handle came from a 52/52E as they used the metal lower handle......the 621 did too but the rear AV mount and end of the handle was altogether different. If you're looking for an 80 keep an eye out for a square edged top cover....a lot of times they show up on ebay listed as a 621 as they are very similar unless you are familiar with both saws.

Great pics Kevin!! Good comparison. That also shows the twin trigger setup.....only used on the 621. That's a sweet looking late 621 you have there...it'll clean up nicely!!!

Thanks Robin!

The 621 is nice....it was supposed to replace the 80 in my fencing business. Haven't gotten around to it yet....supposed to be a spark issue. I'm pretty sure it will be some issue of the PO screwing around with the points set up....we'll see. I'm poor with ignition stuff.

Kevin

Some good tips on looking for 80's. That's how I found mine for a real good price -- seller didn't know what it was.

I used to see that a lot on eBay, Scott. Not so much anymore though.....but a LOT of Frankensaws out there where the owner makes no apology, or expects you to know what kinda hybred it is.

An 80 and a 621 sitting together makes you do a double take fer sure for most...lol.

Kevin

Thanks Robin!

The 621 is nice....it was supposed to replace the 80 in my fencing business. Haven't gotten around to it yet....supposed to be a spark issue. I'm pretty sure it will be some issue of the PO screwing around with the points set up....we'll see. I'm poor with ignition stuff.

Kevin

Likely just oxidized points....or they have worked together.

Yep I've messaged a number of sellers over the years that they were listing the saws wrong......probably just about even listing 621s as 80s as it is the other way around.

I used to see that a lot on eBay, Scott. Not so much anymore though.....but a LOT of Frankensaws out there where the owner makes no apology, or expects you to know what kinda hybred it is.

An 80 and a 621 sitting together makes you do a double take fer sure for most...lol.

Kevin

I found mine on eBay-kleinanziegen.de - that's the German equivalent of Craigslist. Listing just said Jonsereds; I'm sure most folks just figured it was a 621. See lots of those in Europe.

Back