Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The yr before I bought my '75 CJ5, you could got points and factory headers available on the 304 V-8. The trim packages were better my yr....I had the Levi seat edition/Renegade...kinda trick. That factory floor three spd was ridiculous. On the road, it always felt like it was missing a gear between 2nd and 3rd. I bought a Ford top-loader 4sp for it, but my check bounced as I was loading it up in the back of the Jeep...lol. Twenty something and a lot to learn yet about money....still leanring...lol!

In short order I put a Edelbrock High-rise and Holley 4barrel on it, along with dual exhausts. It was a beast off-road. Of all the cars & trucks I've had, that's the only one that comes up in reoccurring dreams...strange. It was a far cry from a perfect, purpose built vehicle.

Kevin

The yr before I bought my '75 CJ5, you could got points and factory headers available on the 304 V-8. The trim packages were better my yr....I had the Levi seat edition/Renegade...kinda trick. That factory floor three spd was ridiculous. On the road, it always felt like it was missing a gear between 2nd and 3rd. I bought a Ford top-loader 4sp for it, but my check bounced as I was loading it up in the back of the Jeep...lol. Twenty something and a lot to learn yet about money....still leanring...lol!

In short order I put a Edelbrock High-rise and Holley 4barrel on it, along with dual exhausts. It was a beast off-road. Of all the cars & trucks I've had, that's the only one that comes up in reoccurring dreams...strange. It was a far cry from a perfect, purpose built vehicle.

Kevin

We had similar Jeeps...

Mine was a 77 (or maybe 79?) CJ-7, 304, 3 sp. Buckshot P mudders. Golden Eagle model. Levi seats. Couldn't get it stuck in mud unless you high-centered it on something. 304 was tired, so I swapped in a fresh 360. Ended up spinning a few axles - darn two piece crappy axles that AMC used back then.

We had similar Jeeps...

Mine was a 77 (or maybe 79?) CJ-7, 304, 3 sp. Buckshot P mudders. Golden Eagle model. Levi seats. Couldn't get it stuck in mud unless you high-centered it on something. 304 was tired, so I swapped in a fresh 360. Ended up spinning a few axles - darn two piece crappy axles that AMC used back then.
I always wanted a V8 Gremlin with the Levi interior. Don't know why? Just did.

I always wanted a V8 Gremlin with the Levi interior. Don't know why? Just did.

You and me both! I have a Javelin 401 road race project and I have a spare 401. Might even have a spare T-10 4 speed laying around, too. Nice thing about the AMC V-8's is that the exterior dimensions are the same, so you can just yank a 304 and drop a 401 right in.

Buddy stopped with this CE670 W today. I would like to buy it if it comes up. Which it sounds like it might. Don't see these W models come up around here too often. The filter setup isn't for me. Definitely would consider converting back to a standard filter and cover.

Just found out this won't be for sale. He decided he wants to get it pumped out as a race saw... :::Sad Face:::

On the plus side I get to play with it a bit.

You and me both! I have a Javelin 401 road race project and I have a spare 401. Might even have a spare T-10 4 speed laying around, too. Nice thing about the AMC V-8's is that the exterior dimensions are the same, so you can just yank a 304 and drop a 401 right in.

I had a ‘78 CJ-7 with a 401 and Dana’s F&R, and lockers. I’ll have to dig up a picture

Erik

I dunno why, but I always wanted one of those red, white and blue Trans Am Javelins.....with the 401 and a Hurst 4spd. One hundred of those red, white and blue Javelins made...they say 25 survived. That may be just 25 that are road registered. I mean how would they know for sure about the rest of them? I never even sat in a Javelin....don't know if they were cheesy crap or not.

Kevin

I had a ‘78 CJ-7 with a 401 and Dana’s F&R, and lockers. I’ll have to dig up a picture

Erik

dd7a1e3a6dcc4175032e13d52161395f.jpg
446c6b07fd7d81499ef8a4fb073079f8.jpg

And the ‘84 I-6 258ci
1c62f14da3a04edbca06fb2030f4dc06.jpg
10 day honeymoon road trip. Calif to Vancouver Is

Erik

When I was a kid there was a very rusty jeep up to my grandparents place. It was parked in a old shed and us kids loved to play in it for an odd reason; it had two steering wheels. One was to steer the jeep and the other was to raise and lower the snow plow. I have mentioned this to several "jeep" people and they all tell me I'm crazy and nothing like that existed. We always referred to it as "the army jeep", but the only picture I've ever seen of it (you can see part of it in the backgroud) it looks more like a CJ-2A, but it could have been an MB. I have two things on my bucket list. One is a John Deere GP (I would love a Model P, but those are too rare and well out of my reach) and the other is a flat head flat fender jeep.

My grandfather had an Overland car which was the precursor to the Willys Jeep.The last Overland made was in 1926.I remember the car sitting in a cow pasture for as long as I could remember as a little kid.I also remember my grandma announcing that she'd sold the Overland car for $100.Apparently there was a gentleman who'd found out about them having this car & he wanted it for the engine in it.He called my grandma to tell her that the engine wasn't seized.The car must've sat in the pasture for close to 40 yrs.Back then there was no such thing as detergent oil,& there was something about using non-detergent oil that would (for lack of a better word) prevent an engine from seizing after sitting for a length of time.I often wonder what'd happened to that engine.

When I lived in Ouray, CO I knew a HS principal lady who was renting a A-frame up in the mountains. A flat fender Jeep came with the place. I had already sold my CJ5 by then. I played with it a bit up in the snow. I was the only one who could get it started...went like a bat outa hell in the snow..........until it high centered, which was often.

About the same time period I got into M37's and M43's. Now THOSE took on the wilds of the San Juan CO mountains. I had a fleet of those things and a gasoline half-track. Only have one M43 left from those days. I logged out of that M43 for yrs....insulated box made it easy to warm at night.....not to mention all the surgery dodads to play with in the back.....lol. Gasoline heater system....scared me to death.

Saw a 1938 'Dodge Brothers' hearse with basically the same motor...a few less cubes.

Kevin

This 86 CJ7 is my first Jeep....the only reason I got it was to take it out to my camp on a remote offshore island....there is not any place to work on anything out there so I've been simplifying and rebuilding the drive train to do the task. The fresh 258 motor unfortunately took out the feeble T 4 BorgWarner that was original so I'm in the midst of building a new T4 and resealing and shimming a Dana 300 transfer case. This is OK as I would rather be doing the work here in the warm shop rather out on the island wherever it failed........and you know they never fail in a good spot.......
I drove 60's era Series II and IIA Land Rovers for years....still have four I think.....two 109" Pickups and two 88"s. The 69 88" was my first and I found a Braden PTO front mounted winch for it. All the local Jeep guys used to laugh at me as they roared by me on the road.....but who do you think they'd come find to retrieve their sorry azzes from whatever bad spell they had got in?? I always ran 750 X 16" Hercules truck tires and with the weight of the Rover you could really get some traction to the ground......as I would explain to the Jeep boys as I was retrieving them....in my opinion.....most stock Jeeps are a two wheel drive on road vehicle with four wheel drive off road capabilities........Land Rovers are designed as four wheel drive off road vehicles with two wheel drive on road capabilities.......I also retrieved a fair number of 3/4 ton FWD pickups with that Rover......the most memorable was a 3/4 ton International 4WD that went in a brook to deep for the engine......unexpectedly.....rear wheels were both off the ground and she had no power to assist in her retrieval....but she came out just the same, then I towed it back out the four miles through the woods to the road.

When I was a kid there was a very rusty jeep up to my grandparents place. It was parked in a old shed and us kids loved to play in it for an odd reason; it had two steering wheels. One was to steer the jeep and the other was to raise and lower the snow plow. I have mentioned this to several "jeep" people and they all tell me I'm crazy and nothing like that existed. We always referred to it as "the army jeep", but the only picture I've ever seen of it (you can see part of it in the backgroud) it looks more like a CJ-2A, but it could have been an MB. I have two things on my bucket list. One is a John Deere GP (I would love a Model P, but those are too rare and well out of my reach) and the other is a flat head flat fender jeep.

Never have seen such a thing.....did it look like factory built or a farmer built setup?? Sounds more like a clever home built plow lift......

Never have seen such a thing.....did it look like factory built or a farmer built setup?? Sounds more like a clever home built plow lift......

I really don't remember. I haven't seen that jeep since I was 5. My dad remembers plowing with a jeep that basically had a bottle jack pump between the seats. When you wanted to raise the plow you pumped it up and it had a twist knob to lower it. Manual angle of course, but as my dad said, "it sure beat shoveling!". I still think of my Fisher Speedcast as "modern", but all the plow guys laugh at it. It's like the old Jonsereds. A 70E seems like a modern saw to me and a 670 certainly does, but most considered them old and outdated. They sure beat a handsaw!

I really don't remember. I haven't seen that jeep since I was 5. My dad remembers plowing with a jeep that basically had a bottle jack pump between the seats. When you wanted to raise the plow you pumped it up and it had a twist knob to lower it. Manual angle of course, but as my dad said, "it sure beat shoveling!". I still think of my Fisher Speedcast as "modern", but all the plow guys laugh at it. It's like the old Jonsereds. A 70E seems like a modern saw to me and a 670 certainly does, but most considered them old and outdated. They sure beat a handsaw!

Well......I understand completely....but newer is not always better....you could use a belt driven Speedcast to help you get unstuck by using the to angle to push with.......the "Newer, Better" electric plows......ain't gonna happen....they have just enough power to angle the plow and not much more....

This 86 CJ7 is my first Jeep....the only reason I got it was to take it out to my camp on a remote offshore island....there is not any place to work on anything out there so I've been simplifying and rebuilding the drive train to do the task. The fresh 258 motor unfortunately took out the feeble T 4 BorgWarner that was original so I'm in the midst of building a new T4 and resealing and shimming a Dana 300 transfer case. This is OK as I would rather be doing the work here in the warm shop rather out on the island wherever it failed........and you know they never fail in a good spot.......

My 85 CJ7 had the 258 and a 5 speed. It it was absolutely worthless in the mud with the original Wrangler radials so I put some 33" Gumbo Mudders on it. And then 5th gear was useless, but at least I no longer got stuck in a mud puddle.

My 85 CJ7 had the 258 and a 5 speed. It it was absolutely worthless in the mud with the original Wrangler radials so I put some 33" Gumbo Mudders on it. And then 5th gear was useless, but at least I no longer got stuck in a mud puddle.

They really over geared most of the CJs in those years.....mine has the T 4 Borg Warner 4spd but has 2.70:1 gears.....for my needs I rather have 4.10:1...but where it's going It'll be traveling at 45 MPH max on the very limited tar road on the island but most usually in the 10-20 mph range on the very narrow dirt sections that amount to 3/4 the way around the island, so I'll be running a lot in low or second. The T4 and T5 trans were the wimpiest trans ever put in a Jeep.....basically a car trans.....however the Dana 300 transfer case they paired to the T4/T5 is the most favored and robust transfer case they ever put in a Jeep....go figure....

o the other side in low
I drove 60's era Series II and IIA Land Rovers for years....still have four I think.....two 109" Pickups and two 88"s. The 69 88" was my first and I found a Braden PTO front mounted winch for it. All the local Jeep guys used to laugh at me as they roared by me on the road.....but who do you think they'd come find to retrieve their sorry azzes from whatever bad spell they had got in?? I always ran 750 X 16" Hercules truck tires and with the weight of the Rover you could really get some traction to the ground......as I would explain to the Jeep boys as I was retrieving them....in my opinion.....most stock Jeeps are a two wheel drive on road vehicle with four wheel drive off road capabilities........Land Rovers are designed as four wheel drive off road vehicles with two wheel drive on road capabilities.......I also retrieved a fair number of 3/4 ton FWD pickups with that Rover......the most memorable was a 3/4 ton International 4WD that went in a brook to deep for the engine......unexpectedly.....rear wheels were both off the ground and she had no power to assist in her retrieval....but she came out just the same, then I towed it back out the four miles through the woods to the road.

I had similar experiences up in the wilds of CO...Jeeps and trucks would storm by me during hunting season...only to get their asses stuck later down the 'trail'. I only had one military rig with a Braden. 10,000 single pull, 20,000 with a snatch block. Mostly I wound up just pulling them out with chains and a slingshot (wide nylon tow strap). The one Braden I had was great but would constantly break a shear pin near the limit of its pull.

I did tumble down part of a mountain with a M43 though. Had to jump out the drivers window. Fortunately for me, it fell on some scrub oak and was unharmed. Had to get it righted again and go all the way to the bottom to get outa there....that was a ride...lol!

I was fording a narrow river once and the bottom dropped out, water rushing over the top of the hood. It had a snorkel but somehow I killed it...wouldn't restart. I used the foot starter to propel me to the other side in first low. Old trick if you had a massive starter. I figured the water kept her cooled down....lol!

After '76, or so, I didn't like the direction they were going with the CJ and Chrysler pretty much ruined them as purely off-road vehicles. Didn't really miss my old one with military rigs and the half-track. I miss the wilderness of that country though. You had to keep your wits about you or you'd die in a heartbeat going where I went.

Kevin

Latest posts

Back