Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't spent much time on J'reds lately. Have been spending a lot of time with the Stihl's - even started a group on FB for 1106 and 1109 saws (Contra/Lightning, 070/090) https://www.facebook.com/groups/555947141452381/

Anyway, I just got a box of 111 stuff in from the states yesterday - 3 sprockets, clutch cover, top cover, two jugs (one NOS!), a few oil caps, etc. Really tough finding parts for these old saws.

Scott

I passed on a 70E from my buddy in Sweden that had the pump but no bladder. Probably should have bought it. Live and learn.

Hard to say Scott how much a complete Nordfella setup would bring on the US market. Sure would get kudos points for about the rarest J'reds thing going...lol!

Kevin

I passed on a 70E from my buddy in Sweden that had the pump but no bladder. Probably should have bought it. Live and learn.

Perhaps I was remembering pics you posted of that saw rather than seeing it on ebay.....very rare...just don't see them around. The engine is actually the pump...what you can see from the outside is a bit of the steel line, control valve and quik-connect mounted on the recoil cover. This is a pic of the top of a 70E cyl.....the steel plug across from the sparkplug is where the steel line threaded into....I have a couple 451E/EV saws with the same steel plug in the same position to hook up the system to.

49 SP and 70E Build 100.jpg

It was probably quite an investment by Jonsereds to set the saws up for this system as it required the cyl change, a top cover change (center channel added to the top cover to allow room for the steel line) and a recoil change ( passage hole cast into the upper front to bring the steel line out through and also threaded holes in the covers the bolt the valve to). That is likely why it was only added to two saws that I know of.....a larger saw and a smaller one.....49 SP and 70E Build 121.jpg 49 SP and 70E Build 119.jpg 49 SP and 70E Build 111.jpg

On my local Craigslist there is a used 2260 with a Oregon powermatch bar for $375. Is this a fair price. Plastics look good. No inside pictures. Was going to offer $300, don't really need another one, but with pro Jonsereds going away might be worth it.

It's worth whatever they can get for it. If you feel comfortable with $300 on the buying end, go for it. Craigslist saws are generally less than eBay, so it's hard to establish a definitive price quide for Jonsered.
I ended bypassing that saw and picked up a great running 2186 for $400.

Have another XF on the way. That makes 10. Had kind of wanted to be in double digits before we leave Europe this summer. My contact in Sweden is also supposed to be sending me pics of a few more that he has. If anyone is/will be in the market for an XF, keep me in mind. I'll be selling some when we return.

Family pic is several months old.
DSCN2168.JPG

Hmmmm.....that must have been either a very early experimental one or something someone made up from parts for themselves. You can see where they had to cut the top cover to allow the bend in the steel line to stick up through. As you can see in my earlier pics Jonsereds raised the center portion of the cover forward of the spark plug to accommodate the line. This also required a completely different sparkplug cover. Awesome collection of XF's BTW!!!49 SP and 70E Build 125.jpg

Have another 111S on the way. Wasn't really searching for one but I couldn't pass it up.

It's a runner. Has been repainted. Needs dogs and the correct decomp. May have to swap the full wrap from one of my other 111's.

Scott

408152B4-2F79-4D69-9978-7B3BA48A5DD6.jpeg 332A0C64-FE44-47EB-AC35-6B16DCBC876E.jpeg 2D10983B-9F59-417E-930E-A24E1431DCBA.jpeg

Attachments

• B7E8932E-F958-47CC-8E24-78A34B2B2507.jpeg
    B7E8932E-F958-47CC-8E24-78A34B2B2507.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
Well as we all know from running the older points saws, J’reds did an excellent jobs with the points design. And a good job sealing up the system. So much so that you can run the saws for yrs (even professionally) without touching the points. And I’ve always gotten a nice hot spark....so the seller’s point about a better spark is BS....and so is the implication that an aftermarket chip system is ‘better’.

I can start any of my saws within three pulls no matter what the weather. But I get it that some peeps don’t like/understand points.....however with the older J’reds, abandoning the points system is just throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Kevin

I've got a J'red 361,a smaller saw,I think about 34 cc.,great for limbing.I bought it in 1982,that had an electronic ignition module on it,no points.So I think you'd have to go back quite a few yrs.to get to a J'red that had points n it.Some of the older 361's & 36M's had points in them,I do know that.I don't think I've ever heard of anyone wanting to put a chip in a J'red.They were just one helluva dependable saw.It's too bad that the professional line is no more.

Well, all the original silver tops had points. So did the 801 & 90....so that actually covers a lot of saws. Yet the pro line 900 series all had electronic modules. The 910 being the first and was developed/sold in the late 70’s after the Electrolux buyout.

The 70E had two styles of electronic modules. I think there must have been some crossover at some point; i.e, they were still selling older style points saws along with the ‘new’ style electronics saws.

I’ve seen lots of older J’reds for sale with aftermarket chips.....and the owners bragging about what a “better” set up is is.....like the current saw for sale linked a few posts up

Kevin

I'm a firm believer in"If it ain't broke,don't fix it".I know with the chips I've heard that saws"wake up"after installation.I know I can't use a chip on a saw that has electronic ignition module on it.Supposedly the chips advance the timing on a saw as it runs,I really don't know much about them.I do remember reading that on some saws they were more trouble than they were worth (the chips).Of course they were on a totally different brand of saw too,& it was one brand of chip in particular that caused all the headaches - the Nova chip.I think one fella went through something like 3 or 4 chips & then finally gave up.I think the chips are great for when you can no longer find points & condensers for your saws,but to just put a chip on a saw for no reason other than to say you put one on your saw,well that's just plain foolishishness.

Well that’s one thing that’s great about J’reds......many models shared parts. The points system they used in the older saws were shared by MANY saws....even saws that were proprietary platforms like the 621.....shared their points set up with others.

If you wanted to advance the timing in the older saws and knew what you were doing you just turned the point plate in the appropriate direction. You didn’t need a chip for that. Only problem was making sure your saw didn’t run too lean when it was hot under the collar.

Kevin

I concur.....not a big fan of the points elimination chips. Though I expect they do seem to "Wake up" a saw suffering from burnt, oxidized or points contact that have worked/worn together. So for the un-knowing they seem like a miracle!! A few years ago I was messing around with a non-running 49sp that I picked up. The piston was scored, ring stuck etc. This being before the aftermarket 49 pistons had arrived and me not having a suitable replacement single ring 49sp piston, so I cleaned up the cyl which turned out to be flawless and installed a slightly higher compression two ring piston, wristpin bearing and thrust washers from a 52/52E. I was most concerned about the difference in weight between the 52 and 49 piston but found the crankshaft carried the same part number so I put it together with new seals, gaskets. carb kit and fuel line. It already had an Atom chip installed so I thought I would try it that way. It started and ran good but had a very odd note to the exhaust...I do not know this for certain but I theorize those chips work on a multi spark system of timing....in other words say it triggers the coil three times per compression stroke, the first is late enough for the saw to start good, the second is fair from idle to 4-5000 rpm and the third is early enough to simulate full advance for WOT. The biggest problem is the last two firings don't give the coil time to recharge fully so the spark is less powerful. I used the saw for a few months and never got used to the sound of the exhaust....most folks would likely not notice this...but me, running a number of 49sp saws with stock mufflers it was noticeable. I eventually replaced the chip with a new set of points and the saw ran stronger and sounded normal after that. The chip did work and in the case of not being able to repair or replace your points is a good alternative to scrapping the saw but I don't take them to be better than a good set of points set properly.

Latest posts

Back