Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never seen one either....but then I've never seen a Nordfella either.....Ron posted it on another forum a while back....I asked him to post it over here so you guys could see it.....seems like to much effort to produce to not be seen around.....I thought it was for one of those rare three handed fellas.....

I thought it was in here some time ago that a Nordfella was posted or the instructions........something. Anyway, I got the full impact of the little crittter and how it was supposed to work. In the sales lit, they had very high hopes for it. Never seen one in the flesh though and doubtful I ever will.

Kevin

Yeah the only Jonsereds saws I've seen set up for the Nordfella was the 70E and the 451E/EV. I've watched vids of then being used in Sweden and they seemed to work OK but most of the trees the dropped were small enough that a good shoulder would have sent them over anyway.....novel idea but didn't seem to catch on....this side of the pond. Saw the metal cyl. hook up line, cyl fitting and quik-connect valve to mount on the recoil cover on ebay a while back but no hose or wedge....went for big bucks for half the stuff I thought....

Not when we were using a Silvey hydraulic five pack just to bring down one...lol!

Just try to find those Silvey jacks now....they still sell parts and repair was my understanding, but they don't make them anymore. Madison Loggin Supply told me that they'd consider making another run of the 50 ton jacks if enough people were interested....I signed up for one, never heard back. I should follow up on that..........

Kevin

Hey everyone, I am getting 2-53E saws from a member here. One that doesn't oil and another that "boils the gas when ran hard" (sellers statement). Any suggestions or tips for getting these saw up and running. I would like to have both running by time for the NYS Upstate GTG.
Between family time and work, the only time I can work on my saws is after 9 at night.

Jeff

Hey everyone, I am getting 2-53E saws from a member here. One that doesn't oil and another that "boils the gas when ran hard" (sellers statement). Any suggestions or tips for getting these saw up and running. I would like to have both running by time for the NYS Upstate GTG.
Between family time and work, the only time I can work on my saws is after 9 at night.

Jeff

Hey Jeff...welcome... I assume you mean 52E Jonsereds......the boiling gas thing can happen to all the old Jonsereds with the tank in the cases.....as the tank shares a partition wall with the crankcase and can get really hot when run hard in high outside temps.....make sure the chain is sharp...a dull chain can really overheat a saw motor by running much higher rpm than when cutting properly.

If the other saw is not oiling...first make certain the oil passage in the bar lines up properly with the oil passage in the saw case and that the oil hole in the bar is not clogged with debris. Next remove the clutch cover and with the saw on it's side (clutch up) you will see the chain catcher, a round deal about 1/2" in diameter and an inch or so long held on by three small screws...remove the screws and the chain catcher. Under this you will find a screen which is the bar oil filter....make sure this is clean also behind the screen is a plastic cup...remove this and just inside the tank you should see a black rubber hose...be certain this is connected on both ends...don't remove unless it is off as it a real pain to re-attach the upper end inside the tank. If at this point you have not found any clogs you need to go to the oil pump adjuster...this is located on the bottom of the saw on a hole slightly aft of the crankshaft center about 2' in from the clutch side.....up in the hole there should be an alum. plug with a hex opening in it. Do not remove. Slide a proper sized flat blade screwdriver through the hex opening and back the screw inside out a couple turns and see if it oils when running....these pumps oil constantly when the engine is running and are near bulletproof.

Jeff

One thing you should check on the boiling gas saw...pull the recoil and make sure the cooling fins on the cyl are clear of debris....I've seen them so clogged with oily sawdust that no air could get through the fins at all....just another thing to check...

@Cantdog, thank you for all the info. I have a Jred 621 that had an oiling problem as well. I turned out to be a plugged screen. I am hoping it will be a similar issue.
I am getting these saws as more of some thing to tinker well and use every so often. My main cutters are my 2240 and 2260.

Jeff

On the boiling.....could you be more specific? I ask that because when I used these older J'reds professionally, on a warm/hot day, you cannot shut them off and leave them in the sun. If you do, you'll have all kinds of hell to pay to getting them to run right...other than just cooling down. You could sub in another known good vent plastic box.....but if it's happening with the saw suddenly shut off and left in the sun...it's a design issue.

However, just using the saws on a hot day in the sun never caused a problem until I shut them off.......remembering to park them in the shade ended the boiling problem.

Kevin

@Real1shepherd
I am not totally sure about the boiling issue. I am still waiting to get these saws from an AS member, I bought them from.

OK...if it starts boiling while using it and running becomes unstable, you've got a issue of some kind....probably running too hot. If it's a parked in the sun thing, just park it in the shade. Let us know.

Kevin

@Real1shepherd
I am not totally sure about the boiling issue. I am still waiting to get these saws from an AS member, I bought them from.

Under certain conditions they (the old Jonsereds) all can boil fuel.....clogged cooling fins, outside temp, hard, long cuts, barometric pressure can all contribute...goes nearly always un noticed unless you, for some reason remove the gas cap right after shutting off with a half tank of gas or so (enough fuel to actually see the boil). Like all engines, saws tend to increase engine temp immediately after shutdown. Also many guys just hit the kill switch at the end of a long cut, not giving the saw a minute or two to cool down and dissipate the heat at idle. That always makes my cringe.... Generally the higher power the saw, the more heat made, the greater chance of boiling fuel. My original 49sp never boiled the fuel that I noticed......however after I rebuilt it and ported it I have seen it boil the fuel a couple times.....I don't take it as anything to fret about...as I said....this is one of the main reasons all more modern saws moved from the fuel tank in the cases to a separate fuel tank......but left the oil tank still integral with the engine....as this warms the bar oil to pump and flow better in cold conditions. If your 52E cooling system if not violated by debris or a broken plastic cooling fan I wouldn't worry about it.....just let the saw cool down at idle for a bit after extended use and you'll never likely see it happen.

I logged in temps as high as 90 degrees, which is crazy hot in the National Forest. But I blew the trash off the saws everyday with compressed air. I'm sure humidity is also a factor somehow. I never took note on the temps when this could happen, but guessing any day over 80 degrees and leaving your saw parked in the sun after heavy use. As I said, never had it happen in a cut or bucking.....just coming back to the saw to restart.

But yeah, never shut a saw off immediately after a long cut...always idle a bit. I'm sure some of this issue is user related or can be.

Kevin

Yeah the only Jonsereds saws I've seen set up for the Nordfella was the 70E and the 451E/EV. I've watched vids of then being used in Sweden and they seemed to work OK but most of the trees the dropped were small enough that a good shoulder would have sent them over anyway.....novel idea but didn't seem to catch on....this side of the pond. Saw the metal cyl. hook up line, cyl fitting and quik-connect valve to mount on the recoil cover on ebay a while back but no hose or wedge....went for big bucks for half the stuff I thought....

I passed on a 70E from my buddy in Sweden that had the pump but no bladder. Probably should have bought it. Live and learn.

Latest posts

Back