Jonsered Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the same thing with Rovers.....the 60's series II and IIA were really stout rigs.....in 68 they went to a 8.1 : 1 compression ratio head from a 7.1:1 of the earlier ones......this made a big difference....increased the cruising speed to 55 mph form 45 mph. and added some serious umph to the 80 horse, long stroke 4cyl. But in 71 they came out with the gentrified series III....which was more user friendly with a full syncro 4spd. The II's and IIA's were syncro in third and fourth but not first and second. This was fine for road use but they used the same trans case so all the interior parts had to be made smaller to make room for additional syncro clusters.......this made the trans wimpier in the two lowest gears where you really need the strength. Us old double clutchers were not impressed with broken transmissions doing the same work as was always expected from Rovers......without worrying about the trans. They were really more tractor than automobile....

Does anyone know where I can find the slide switch for the Jonsered 361's?I foubd a guy on FeeBay who has two,but he wants $9 ea.,for that price he can keep them.Frontier also used the slide switch,& there were a few Partnersaws as well.Those things are as scarce as hens teeth.

Does anyone know where I can find the slide switch for the Jonsered 361's?I foubd a guy on FeeBay who has two,but he wants $9 ea.,for that price he can keep them.Frontier also used the slide switch,& there were a few Partnersaws as well.Those things are as scarce as hens teeth.

I don't think you'll find one much cheaper.

Well......I understand completely....but newer is not always better....you could use a belt driven Speedcast to help you get unstuck by using the to angle to push with.......the "Newer, Better" electric plows......ain't gonna happen....they have just enough power to angle the plow and not much more....

I run chains on all four so I don't usually get stuck, but I hooked the plow over the frozen bank this winter and used the angle trick.
I'd seen my uncle and cousin do that "back in the day".

When I lived in Ouray, CO I knew a HS principal lady who was renting a A-frame up in the mountains. A flat fender Jeep came with the place. I had already sold my CJ5 by then. I played with it a bit up in the snow. I was the only one who could get it started...went like a bat outa hell in the snow..........until it high centered, which was often.

About the same time period I got into M37's and M43's. Now THOSE took on the wilds of the San Juan CO mountains. I had a fleet of those things and a gasoline half-track. Only have one M43 left from those days. I logged out of that M43 for yrs....insulated box made it easy to warm at night.....not to mention all the surgery dodads to play with in the back.....lol. Gasoline heater system....scared me to death.

Saw a 1938 'Dodge Brothers' hearse with basically the same motor...a few less cubes.

Kevin

Kevin -

The gasoline half-track sounds interesting. Got any more details or pictures?

Scott

TE="Cantdog, post: 6570028, member: 34161"]Yeah the same thing with Rovers.....the 60's series II and IIA were really stout rigs.....in 68 they went to a 8.1 : 1 compression ratio head from a 7.1:1 of the earlier ones......this made a big difference....increased the cruising speed to 55 mph form 45 mph. and added some serious umph to the 80 horse, long stroke 4cyl. But in 71 they came out with the gentrified series III....which was more user friendly with a full syncro 4spd. The II's and IIA's were syncro in third and fourth but not first and second. This was fine for road use but they used the same trans case so all the interior parts had to be made smaller to make room for additional syncro clusters.......this made the trans wimpier in the two lowest gears where you really need the strength. Us old double clutchers were not impressed with broken transmissions doing the same work as was always expected from Rovers......without worrying about the trans. They were really more tractor than automobile....[/QUOTE]

I’ve tried to explain this very thing to the younger gen; put these punk 5spds trannies in the same space as the 4spd took up and you have to cut the gears smaller. In trucks that means a weaker tranny. I’ve actually worn out first gear in my Dodge 5spd in under 200,000 miles. Never done that working a truck back in the day with a 4spd.

The actual gear is worn out- syncros are fine. Off-road posers supposedly build trucks around this Dodge NV4500 tranny.....sure doesn't impress me and that Dana 60 front axle is a seal whore.

Kevin

Kevin -

The gasoline half-track sounds interesting. Got any more details or pictures?

Scott

Unfortuntely, in those days I took very few pics, especially of my own stuff. I had a nice 35mm Nikon but didn't understand why all my pics looked washed out back from the developer. Eventually, a expert told me to at least use and UV filter and more effective, a polarizer. That did the trick, but I wound up leaving that area. Most surviving pics I had were of the M43's/M37's. But this summer I promised the ex I'd get the last M43 off her property in Idaho.

The half-track was a real hoot....but when I left CO I sold that one. You needed a gas tanker nurse rig to follow ya around...lol!

Kevin

I did manage to find the switch slides for my 361 at a very good price.I happened to remember that my parts supplier told me awhile back that he was a Pioneer dealer for 30 yrs.I called him yesterday to see if he had any parts for a P-10,which was basically the same saw as the J'red 361.I also ended up getting 4 gas tank gaskets as well.I guess it pays to BS every now & then,& to pay attention too! Lol

Unfortuntely, in those days I took very few pics, especially of my own stuff. I had a nice 35mm Nikon but didn't understand why all my pics looked washed out back from the developer. Eventually, a expert told me to at least use and UV filter and more effective, a polarizer. That did the trick, but I wound up leaving that area. Most surviving pics I had were of the M43's/M37's. But this summer I promised the ex I'd get the last M43 off her property in Idaho.

The half-track was a real hoot....but when I left CO I sold that one. You needed a gas tanker nurse rig to follow ya around...lol!

Kevin

HaHaHa!!!! Funny you should mention where your last M43 is located.......all my Rovers and a couple other rigs are still at the Ex's....I gotta doing something about that too.....LOL!!

We had similar Jeeps...

Mine was a 77 (or maybe 79?) CJ-7, 304, 3 sp. Buckshot P mudders. Golden Eagle model. Levi seats. Couldn't get it stuck in mud unless you high-centered it on something. 304 was tired, so I swapped in a fresh 360. Ended up spinning a few axles - darn two piece crappy axles that AMC used back then.

I was lucky in the draw....'75 was the cutoff yr for the decent one piece Dana rear axle. Only thing I ever broke on the Jeep were leaf springs. AMC made many bad choices with the CJ after that yr including the two piece crappy rear axle which I think was an inhouse AMC setup. My gas filler cap was below my rear tail light which made it almost impossible to fill easily with a five gal Jerry can. Off road, that 3spd floor manual with the transfer case gearing was great....on the road that tranny was woefully lacking. They welded the tailgate too which then became a real hassle to remove the rear seat; by yourself you literally had to hulk it up and over the body. I went through I think five soft tops after the OE gave out.

Kevin

I did manage to find the switch slides for my 361 at a very good price.I happened to remember that my parts supplier told me awhile back that he was a Pioneer dealer for 30 yrs.I called him yesterday to see if he had any parts for a P-10,which was basically the same saw as the J'red 361.I also ended up getting 4 gas tank gaskets as well.I guess it pays to BS every now & then,& to pay attention too! Lol

Supposedly, the Jonsered 361 was built by Trail Manufacturing in Vancouver B.C. It was also sold as the Husky 35 and a Pioneer P10...Skil something or other too. Venerable old saw they say and good power-to-weight ratio for its day.

Kevin

I got 4 new unused windsor speed tip bars today 16JR58SN replaceable roller nose tip with 6 rivets , looked around and only seen 5 rivets so must be quite old bars ? other side says L983780 , hoped they would fit my D009 husky saws but is a bit sloppy , did a bit of lookiing up and Windsor JR is cross ref oregon D024 mount , oilers line up but the bar slot is 10mm insted of the 9.5 mm D009 . is the S clip available to fit over the bar studs , i did see a pic of it but never heard of it , anyone know the number of the S clip or availability ?

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_16dc.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_16dc.jpeg
    8.4 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8118.JPG
    IMG_8118.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8119.JPG
    IMG_8119.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
I got 4 new unused windsor speed tip bars today 16JR58SN replaceable roller nose tip with 6 rivets , looked around and only seen 5 rivets so must be quite old bars ? other side says L983780 , hoped they would fit my D009 husky saws but is a bit sloppy , did a bit of lookiing up and Windsor JR is cross ref oregon D024 mount , oilers line up but the bar slot is 10mm insted of the 9.5 mm D009 . is the S clip available to fit over the bar studs , i did see a pic of it but never heard of it , anyone know the number of the S clip or availability ?

Those are old bars......they are the old Jonsereds Large mount...10MM slot......will fit the 621 and all larger saws bearing the Jonsereds name up to the 111S. These are NLA and sought after by folks with 621, 66/70E 80, 90, 111S etc. and some 910, 820/30 and 920/30 saws as well. Don't know of any adaptors or spacers available to fit them to the large Husky mount....

Nice find!

I've been unsuccessful now for many yrs trying to find the old Oregon .404 tips that have the three, half-moon rivet pattern.

Used to be a fair amount of the 10mm used bars for sale on the bay....haven't looked in awhile.

Kevin

There is an "s" clip to fit them up to a 630/670. I have a bag of them...........somewhere.
They were supplied by Tilton when the 630 first came out so the dealers didn't have to stock a new bar.

There is an "s" clip to fit them up to a 630/670. I have a bag of them...........somewhere.
They were supplied by Tilton when the 630 first came out so the dealers didn't have to stock a new bar.

There you go!!! Never seen those but now have several sets of threaded bar studs to reduce the size to the Large Husky mount so you can run large mount Husky bars on the oldies that came with the 10mm studs.....another dealer option.....think they came out in the 820/30, 920/30 era.

Roy - let me know if you want to sell some or all of these.

Thanks

Back