location for start up business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've given away dozens upon dozens of accounts over the years, which brings this reply right back to the opening post.

When I was a noob, I would drive all over town for what ever work was available wherever. I had no idea that getting the next job would be so incredibly simple (be patient, I will share that with you).

After two years, I figured it out, and it took me the course of another two years to undo what I had done.

I know this doesn't make any sense at the moment, but it will.

In chasing down every call that came in, I would drive 5 Km this direction, 10 Km that direction, my dump site would be the other way..... you know what I'm talking about. My marketing was on, 100%, but my approach was way off, until my second year as the owner of my own business.

Here's the marketing, and then the mistake: I would do one or two 'free' things for the client, write them on the estimate sheet in red pen and put a big -NC- (no charge) after it. At the end of the job when doing the final walkthrough, I would let them know of the free thing(s) I did, prior to getting payment. Often they would offer to pay for the 'extra', but if not, they would be appreciative 100% of the time..... people LOVE free stuff.

I would politely refuse additional payment (think about it, whatever 'free' stuff you do is minimal and not worth charging for anyway). But the freebie was written down, and shared with the homeowner. When the thanks or acknowledgment came, then came the marketing schpeel.

"If you're really satisfied with the work, just do me one favor. Just tell one person sometime in the future, will you do that?"

Now this is more in line with marketing than it is in 'Where to start your business', but this is where it comes around to the two years of undoing what I had done, and why this is important to you. I will lead with an analogy (not to be confused with a comparison).

If a farmer is going to plant crops, does he drive 5 Km one direction to plant a seed, and 10 Km the other direction to plant another seed? No. He plants a lot of seeds in one field.

"Choose your field well." That is my reply to the opening post. Don't stray far from it if you don't have to.

I started my business and I was that crazy farmer planting seeds all over the place. My 'crops' grew like Kudzu weed and in two years I had this amazing referral network providing me business ALL OVER THE PLACE. This may seem a good thing, and for some of you, it may be, but not for me.

See, I grew up in the country, on a farm. I went to college, came to Indianapolis to finish school and WHOOPS! I fell in love with this sassy blonde chick. That's another story, but all of a sudden I am transplanted into the middle of a city situation. The following year that sassy chick told me it would be completely all right if I wanted to scrap 7 years of higher education and become a Treeguy. Enter into the industry, The Tree Machine.

Did I digress? Where was I?

Last edited:
OH, Farm kid, farmer, planting seeds, un-doing the success of my labor.

OK, one thing I have NEVER gotten used to is traffic. I've been here 13 years and I still hate driving in traffic. It is costly in both money and time. It is a horrible waste of good talent, sitting in a truck.

After the two early years in the business, I finally found my 'field' and started applying the same marketing in a more concentrated area. This worked even better, as the more you work in an area, the more business you generate by just being there. Plus you have the clients each telling one person who often lives near that original client.

BUT, I was still getting calls from a distance and when I'd drive, I would feel an opportunity cost of not then being able to generate more business closer to home. It took me two years to figure this out. Now I had to un-do what I had done.

The fact that I was now feeling a 'loss' in serving my hard-earned referral was actually a good thing. It made it easier to let them go. Cherished clientele, I had to politely tell them that I could no longer serve them. This went on for about two years. I'm not very good with saying 'no', especially to people who I had such a good relationship with (everybody).

But, over the course of time, if I would not serve them myself, I would at least offer them the name of a company that could. Eventually, I created a local, low-driving, low time in the truck, low traffic, close to home situation that I enjoy far more than I could ever express here with you. It is a dream come true, which is the point I make that you are the creator of your dreams. Just apply the magical formula of treating your clients with utmost respect, do the best tree care possible and do a magnificent, world-class cleanup. Do something free. Ask them to tell one person. Is that so magical, really? I promise, promise, promise you it will work.

Choose your field well.

JPS said it just right- on the edge of a large city. I've worked in several states across the country. Suburbs are jam-packed with people- usually with nice yards. Put yourself where people have expendible income and bigger trees (like in NJ!). Also, if you know there are no other "good" companies doing PROPER tree care, then you can step in and be the "go to guy" who actually KNOWS about trees.

More people means more employees, too.

Living near lakes can bring a lot of money as people often want vista pruning done to keep the view of the lake.

love
nick

Ya know, Nick, I have often wondered about renting a plane. Take the wife and kids up for an afternoon ride, and fly over hundreds and hundreds of kilometers.

Flying over would offer you a look at tree density and people density, where mature trees are, lakes, I mean you could really cover a lot of territory. That would be after the 'Google Earth' search.

Back