Looking at a used WoodMizer LT50

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Went and looked at it this morning. It's a 2010 model with a Cat51(perkins)engine and 1255 hrs. Apparently it was in a building for the last 6 years and it fell down around it. The guy found it and asked his buddy about it, he said yes we ain't run it in years take it and see if you can sell it. He was asking 26K now he's down to 24K. He said he replaced all the hoses but there's only 5-6 laying there. When I opened up the box there looked to be a dozen. Looks like all the hyd are working buy one res was low on fluid.

He tried to make a cut with it and I mean tried. Started out at about 1", in 3' depth was about 1.5", and at 8' it was back up to about .5". I could have made a straighter cut with my chainsaw by hand. I started looking at the guides after he shut it down. On the operator side the guide is there but has at least 1/4" gap between the 2 metal pieces and there is no plastic piece under the roller guide. On the other side the guide is missing all together. He said he replaced the drive belt on the motor and the pulley belts. WM verified that when I talked to them.

The accuset 2 was constantly flashing ERROR. WM said that could be any number of issues from a weak battery to???
They wouldn't even speculate on cost of repairing that issue.

He said he replaced all of the little pulley bearings for the guide travel in/out, didn't look like it too me pretty rusted up.
The fuel and coolant tanks are UV shot and rotted about to fall apart.

I'm thinking of offering him $10K cold hard cash or a 2006 F250 powerstroke XLT with 98K miles that KBB says is worth 18K locally.

Went and looked at it this morning. It's a 2010 model with a Cat51(perkins)engine and 1255 hrs. Apparently it was in a building for the last 6 years and it fell down around it. The guy found it and asked his buddy about it, he said yes we ain't run it in years take it and see if you can sell it. He was asking 26K now he's down to 24K. He said he replaced all the hoses but there's only 5-6 laying there. When I opened up the box there looked to be a dozen. Looks like all the hyd are working buy one res was low on fluid.

He tried to make a cut with it and I mean tried. Started out at about 1", in 3' depth was about 1.5", and at 8' it was back up to about .5". I could have made a straighter cut with my chainsaw by hand. I started looking at the guides after he shut it down. On the operator side the guide is there but has at least 1/4" gap between the 2 metal pieces and there is no plastic piece under the roller guide. On the other side the guide is missing all together. He said he replaced the drive belt on the motor and the pulley belts. WM verified that when I talked to them.

The accuset 2 was constantly flashing ERROR. WM said that could be any number of issues from a weak battery to???
They wouldn't even speculate on cost of repairing that issue.

He said he replaced all of the little pulley bearings for the guide travel in/out, didn't look like it too me pretty rusted up.
The fuel and coolant tanks are UV shot and rotted about to fall apart.

I'm thinking of offering him $10K cold hard cash or a 2006 F250 powerstroke XLT with 98K miles that KBB says is worth 18K locally.

I'd not even offer the F250 since there is no idea what else went wrong while it sat. If you can see the pulley bearings he's not truthful about, what else is not right? Just my$.02

Have you asked the folks at WM what the book value on a poorly maintained lt50 is? I would start there. If the bed is true, then I am of the opinion that everything else can be repaired fairly easily. WM doesn't seem to use too many parts that are proprietary, and they can supply you with some very detailed manuals for every component of the machine.

The blade drift is likely a combination of a dull blade and the missing rub plates on the guides.

Yes, I talked to WM at Newnan GA, looking at $3-400 per side on guides. They wouldn't even talk about repairs on the Accuset. Could be anything from a cable, cables, to cards (hardware), software, etc. I saw where one WM saw was listed for sale and said it had over $5,000 in recent repairs to bring it up to "condition". Who wants to buy a saw, carry it Newnan GA to be appraised parts changed out helter skelter and finally get a working saw....

I agree the bad cut is probably guides/blade issue, but the other is scary and can be costly????

I would talk to WM and get worst case scenario on repairs compared to machine value and see what you can get the saw for.

Latest posts

Back