Maintenance thread. What are you working on?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_2989.jpgIMG_3016.jpgIMG_3014.jpgIMG_2987.jpg
I replaced the hydraulic pump on my Built-Rite conveyor with a new pump from Built-Rite.
It is a twelve or thirteen year old 28' belted conveyor that I've owned for ten years. The pump shaft seal started weeping oil, which gets on the Love Joy coupler and spins all over the pump, base plate and side of the Honda GX 160 engine.
They have changed pumps on their new builds which required a change of the mount for me, four bolt to two bolt, and some new fittings, JIC?, for the aluminum bodied pump.
Does anyone know if the original is a two stage pump?
Does anyone know what the replacement is? Single stage?
So far the only difference in performance is when raising the conveyor it stalls the engine when it reaches max. height.
It never did that before.
The fittings off the side of the new pump are 3/8", the old pump was 1/2".

The first pump appears to be a two stage, which is odd on the conveyor though because it would get surging as the load changes. 1012 looks like a part number from Northern tool, or used to be called Northern hydraulics. That’s probably a Barnes pump from that era 15 years ago.
Second one appears to be just an ordinary single section gear pump. in my opinion better selection for a conveyor Drive

The first pump appears to be a two stage, which is odd on the conveyor though because it would get surging as the load changes. 1012 looks like a part number from Northern tool, or used to be called Northern hydraulics. That’s probably a Barnes pump from that era 15 years ago.
Second one appears to be just an ordinary single section gear pump. in my opinion better selection for a conveyor Drive
From a 2011 post
Northern Tool The rep told him the number 1012 was a Haldex 11GPM two stage pump 3000 psi max that required a 5 hp minimum

The new pump
https://northernhydraulics.net/cata...-c-high-pressure-aluminum-gear-pump-3039.html

Built-Rite did not send an invoice.
I bought three sets of idler wheels at $60.00 ea. and the hydraulic pump, plus shipping, was over $400.
A rather expensive education!
It's working and I'm cutting and splitting again.
Thank you Kevin J and Ray Benson for the replies. :drinkingcoffee:
Edit: I will add, the pump shaft is considerably shorter than the original. The new pump shaft does not fully engage the Love Joy coupler with the pump mount, which is the same spread as the original four bolt mount.

Still trying to get my tractor parking brake working, last thing is the pedal just spins when stepped on. Then there‘s not enough reach. I’m gonna weld it.

This is how it’s supposed to be.
F0F0DB36-7299-4C2D-BF64-93553302CC29.jpeg

It won’t move this far when stepped on, but just showing it’ll keep rotating on there.
AFAE3D4B-D7A9-4727-B312-F78E49EBA9A8.jpeg

As of this evening my tractor needs maintenance.
The hydraulic lift started playing up, first the box would only lower very slowly then the front loader would lift with it.
Then the tilt wouldnt raise more than a few inches, then the front loader stopped lifting altogether.
Then the tractor struggled to find any power to move.
Then smoke started coming from the wire attached to the back of the alternator.
I think it is either the PTO clutch or the oil pump.
Fcuk my life!

Injector cups on my 7.3.
Rebuilding the loader control valve on the 63 ford industrial
Fine tuning the milling rig on the 660 chicom
Getting the 8n running right and painted before I put new tires and wheels on it. <<this will become my skidded/firewood hauler

Looks like a braden in the back? Gonna skid redwoods?

It is a Braden, the tow truck version of what went on the front of the fifties and sixties Power Wagons. Same internals and cover plates/bearings, just different mounting points. Nope, no redwoods. Now it’s mostly hidden.

29A2F9DD-E81B-457E-A757-31E37089DEFF.jpeg

Still trying to get my tractor parking brake working, last thing is the pedal just spins when stepped on. Then there‘s not enough reach. I’m gonna weld it.

This is how it’s supposed to be.
View attachment 826675

It won’t move this far when stepped on, but just showing it’ll keep rotating on there.
View attachment 826676

Parking brake works, finally. It holds on our driveway hills. Forward and back. I had to clean out the brake drum, from when the steering hydraulic control valve above it started leaking again last December. I hung a funnel with a hose under the steering control valve, to divert any leak. In case it starts leaking again. The inside of the drum was soaked with hydraulic fluid. I had to get it pretty tight to hold on the hills, heavy machine.

Back