Max flow on 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylorweld

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was looking for a better filtration setup for the 500i, and I knew something had to be out there so I bit the bullet and bought a max flow to see if it would work or not and it fits perfect.

Attachments

• 46B5A341-C1BF-445C-85B8-51CB0FAF5C58.jpeg
    46B5A341-C1BF-445C-85B8-51CB0FAF5C58.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 98
  • A4A704F9-3C5F-43E6-A2B9-17BAE5B359DF.jpeg
    A4A704F9-3C5F-43E6-A2B9-17BAE5B359DF.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 91
I was looking for a better filtration setup for the 500i, and I knew something had to be out there so I bit the bullet and bought a max flow to see if it would work or not and it fits perfect.
What do you mean by "better" Is the OEM leaking?
The Stihl filter flows fairly well, from what I've been told.

Was wondering about using one myself. Are you able to use the cover? I know it's not a big deal and they can be run without them but I figured it wouldn't fit on that 500 housing.

Disregard, I looked at the photos more, looks like it's pushed into the 500 cover correct?

Sweet!! That just made my day! Thanks for the info.
Yeah no problem, it’s a snug fit but it’s not forced in by any means. It’s just sawdust kills saws and the fines get a little to close for comfort. The hd filter it good but since the 500i don’t have the pre separation for the bigger saw dust like the m tonic saws so the filter takes all the brute.

Yeah, I've noticed a little fines getting thru but haven't been too worried about it but glad you tried it. Was gonna buy one for my red eye but think it'll go to the 500 instead.

I’ve lost track of all the old saws I’ve had over the years that had been run with “custom” or no filter at all. I’d never use a saw without, But on most of them the filter just sat in there. Look at an xl12 Homelite, Mac 6-10, Poulan 306a. Maybe those saws just didn’t get used as much...

I’ve lost track of all the old saws I’ve had over the years that had been run with “custom” or no filter at all. I’d never use a saw without, But on most of them the filter just sat in there. Look at an xl12 Homelite, Mac 6-10, Poulan 306a. Maybe those saws just didn’t get used as much...
Right? Poulan 3400...a flocked wire screen that just kinda...sits im there

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Right? Poulan 3400...a flocked wire screen that just kinda...sits im there

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Yup. That would be one. Here’s the other thing. A sharp chain makes an airfilters life easier. Chips will never make it deeper into the system than sawdust. And if your making dust instead of chips it’s time to sharpen. Wood chips/dust aren’t abrasive. When I get a 30-40 year old saw in that looks like it’s never been cleaned 90% of the time the internals are fine. When the piston is scored or the crank bearings are done it’s from straight gas, a lean mixture or just worn out. I’ve never seen a failure obviously from saw dust. That doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened though. I don’t own a saw newer than early 2000s, so I can’t speak on the more sophisticated computer controlled ones. I would think Stihl and Husqvarna did proper research under the conditions In which these saws operate especially pro/commercial saws. Chopsaw/demosaws have a horrible life, sucking in the worst dust possible chainsaws have it easy. If a little dust got thru I’d say the 500i would likely push it right out the muffler like the 3400s did, might become a problem with the new cat and restrictive mufflers over time. Long answer. Short answer keep the Chain sharp and won’t have a problem

You’ve never cut fire kill, have you? I’ve run some *very* sharp square grinds and still managed to create a haboob.
I cut native wood to my area for fire wood, storm damage or just plain removal. Like I said never had a problem and in the 500 or so saws that have come across my bench I’ve never seen one fail from saw dust.

Yup. That would be one. Here’s the other thing. A sharp chain makes an airfilters life easier. Chips will never make it deeper into the system than sawdust. And if your making dust instead of chips it’s time to sharpen. Wood chips/dust aren’t abrasive. When I get a 30-40 year old saw in that looks like it’s never been cleaned 90% of the time the internals are fine. When the piston is scored or the crank bearings are done it’s from straight gas, a lean mixture or just worn out. I’ve never seen a failure obviously from saw dust. That doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened though. I don’t own a saw newer than early 2000s, so I can’t speak on the more sophisticated computer controlled ones. I would think Stihl and Husqvarna did proper research under the conditions In which these saws operate especially pro/commercial saws. Chopsaw/demosaws have a horrible life, sucking in the worst dust possible chainsaws have it easy. If a little dust got thru I’d say the 500i would likely push it right out the muffler like the 3400s did, might become a problem with the new cat and restrictive mufflers over time. Long answer. Short answer keep the Chain sharp and won’t have a problem
Absolute nonsense, Probably the worst cutting conditions a chainsaw sees is cutting burned fire killed trees. Regardless of the sharpness of the chain a fire saw works in extreme dust.. The best solution is a Max Flow air filter kit because Stihl filters let way to much fine material past the filter (Husqvarna's small filter surface area clogs quickly thus sucking fines past the filter mounting surfaces). At least with a Max Flow the sawyer can kinda scrape the surface of the filter. None the less the sawyer is advised to carry a couple spare oiled filter in a zip lock baggy in the truck. Saying fine particulates don't harm a saw is silly. Think a sharp chain is all you need is equally silly. That is lack of experience speaking.
On some jobs I've brought the air compressor to clean the saw each day with Simple Green and a brush.

Absolute nonsense, Probably the worst cutting conditions a chainsaw sees is cutting burned fire killed trees. Regardless of the sharpness of the chain a fire saw works in extreme dust.. The best solution is a Max Flow air filter kit because Stihl filters let way to much fine material past the filter (Husqvarna's small filter surface area clogs quickly thus sucking fines past the filter mounting surfaces). At least with a Max Flow the sawyer can kinda scrape the surface of the filter. None the less the sawyer is advised to carry a couple spare oiled filter in a zip lock baggy in the truck. Saying fine particulates don't harm a saw is silly. Think a sharp chain is all you need is equally silly. That is lack of experience speaking.
On some jobs I've brought the air compressor to clean the saw each day with Simple Green and a brush.
Ah an expert. Who is cutting burnt trees? I guess all those saws were fooling me. Thanks for letting me know. Also to clarify (seemed obvious but I guess not) I never said I don’t clean or replace filters. My saw are expensive and treated as such. Never lent out or abused. I use Poulans from the 80s stihls from the 90s Dolmars from 00s and everything in between. Never had an overheat, lean issue or any other. I stand by what I said. If your making dust you shouldn’t be using a saw.

Back