Max flow on 500i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its just a shame that a saw as advanced as it is, and the freakin a/f leaks.
I would think they could handle a problem, that everyone knows exists except them.
Denial. Beginning to be a way of life anymore.
Definitely not a great filter system, could/should have done better. If a good filter is a must grab a 462 or Echo 7310. The Echo likely has the best filter on the market IMHO.

20201027_161730.jpg20201027_161528_HDR.jpg20201027_161557.jpg20201027_161759.jpg

Its just a shame that a saw as advanced as it is, and the freakin a/f leaks.
I would think they could handle a problem, that everyone knows exists except them.
Denial. Beginning to be a way of life anymore.
I made it earlier in the day, it takes more than a few minutes to edit a video. I could care less, been around here a loooong time, I knew what was going to happen before it did.
Listen I understand, but we all have personal preferences and you can do anything you want with your stuff just as good as I can. I watched your videos on the 7310 before I bought one and I find myself using it more than the 462 and 500i. I like giving people a hard time and I’m just trying out things on these newer saws to see what works. I’m not saying the max flow is the best set up because I have yet to try it due to just putting it on but I can see where the filter seals against the “housing” and I know particulate matter can’t get past it what so ever.

Listen I understand, but we all have personal preferences and you can do anything you want with your stuff just as good as I can. I watched your videos on the 7310 before I bought one and I find myself using it more than the 462 and 500i. I like giving people a hard time and I’m just trying out things on these newer saws to see what works. I’m not saying the max flow is the best set up because I have yet to try it due to just putting it on but I can see where the filter seals against the “housing” and I know particulate matter can’t get past it what so ever.
It's all good Brother! I had zero issue with the Max Flow, I was adding my thoughts for discussion, not to put down what you did, or say you weren't seeing a problem, others have said much the same. So I'm keeping an eye on the filter, for me so far so good, that could change.

It's all good Brother! I had zero issue with the Max Flow, I was adding my thoughts for discussion, not to put down what you did, or say you weren't seeing a problem, others have said much the same. So I'm keeping an eye on the filter, for me so far so good, that could change.
I have started the saw with the max flow on it and it didn’t seem to hesitate or restrict the response or anything, I’ll definitely give the hd2 another chance. My dealer said they can’t even get parts for the 500 yet so I’m not sure what someone would do if something did go south and already needed warranty work done.I know the basic parts are same as other saws but I’m talking about the ecu and engine components.

I'm thinking that the grease film or adding rtv or even a secondary rubber seal should work. Air will travel with the least path of resistance. If the air filter is packed then you would expect air and fines to travel at the mounting interface. Improve the seal there and shake out the filter more while using it in finer wood cuttings might help.

I'm thinking that the grease film or adding rtv or even a secondary rubber seal should work. Air will travel with the least path of resistance. If the air filter is packed then you would expect air and fines to travel at the mounting interface. Improve the seal there and shake out the filter more while using it in finer wood cuttings might help.
I've noticed leakage long before the filter is close to clogged.
It's not the quality of the filter.

Yeah I’ve seen somewhere else where someone put an oem version 0000 141 0300 pre cleaner on.
I've had great success with outerwears on other engines...notably sand cars. Should work well here.

The elastic is covering some of the filter but I doubt it will he problematic from an air/fuel perspective and this should prevent small chips from wedging between pleats.

I've had great success with outerwears on other engines...notably sand cars. Should work well here.

The elastic is covering some of the filter but I doubt it will he problematic from an air/fuel perspective and this should prevent small chips from wedging between pleats.
Yes, very much agreed the pleats get quite a bit in them with 2-3 tanks

Outerwear 20-2471 pre filter installed...will test next weekend....
8 or so tanks through the saw...excellent addition to it. I've made it a habit to pull the cover off and blow the saw off with compressed air at the end of the weekend while using it.

Overall nothing but praise from me on this saw. Wasn't cheap, but should last me a decade+ and has all the power I need for the small Midwestern trees

8 or so tanks through the saw...excellent addition to it. I've made it a habit to pull the cover off and blow the saw off with compressed air at the end of the weekend while using it.

Overall nothing but praise from me on this saw. Wasn't cheap, but should last me a decade+ and has all the power I need for the small Midwestern trees

Finally someone else from the Midwest. I’ve recently gotten a 500i and and decided that I needed to go this route after reading this post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally someone else from the Midwest. I’ve recently gotten a 500i and and decided that I needed to go this route after reading this post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I started using the outerwears not long after getting the saw. They fit snug and do a decent job of keeping the big chips out of the pleats. You still have to clean them regularly. Overall I think they are a worthwhile add on that should prolong filter life. I really think that these saws will benefit from oiled foam filters in the extreme dust of fire kill and dead standing. I think that there are a couple of companies working on this including max flow.

Unifilter are making a slip on over the top oiled filter for the 500i and others, MS460 MS461 MS660 MS661 MS880 MS881
Retains the original filter and cover.
It goes underneath the filter as well and squishes down nice.
Had one on for a few tanks now and it helps a lot.
$40 AUD + Postage
Also got a JAE Supplies bashplate $80 AUD + Postage
Aluminum profile cut and bent plate to protect the underneath, which looked vulnerable to me.
https://jaesupplies.com.au/

Attachments

• UniFilter.jpg
    UniFilter.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 20
  • JAE Bashplate.jpg
    JAE Bashplate.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 18
Someone mentioned cutting burned wood... This is a bear, to say the least. According to those in the know, the carbon dust released by the cutting is extremely abrasive and damaging to the cutting attachment as well. Addidionally, the usual advice of "check your filter regularly" does not apply, since the particles are very fine (under 50 microns if I remember well), and thus bypass a normal filter. One gest special fine-mesh "socks" with which to cover the filters.
My 2c

if it is really concerning rub grease on the saw side sealing surface and on the filter rub a thin layer of black or grey rtv then install the filter but do not tighten but a hair and let cure. this should keep the rtv from bonding to the saw yet bond to the filter creating a larger sealing area. I have used this with success in the past in on filter sandwich mounting plates that were corroded
Gasoline dissolves RTV very easily. As such the spit back present in all piston port engines will disolve any silicone you apply to the filter area.

Back