McCulloch Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a pic fo the coil. Never had one look like this.

I think I'll pull a coil from one of the 10-10's to get it up and running.

XlsnydcFeLKV3tMlSnjaaEP_BR-aM6HnOMPYSd0scKY=w978-h553-no
2UpmUetaB0FVJXYZIigq8e2PMHK_gNvL8Lofn-jE2hs=w691-h553-no

Picked up this Pro 10-10 Auto a few days ago. It was on the local craigslist for $15. Ended up getting it for $13. Checked fuel line and it looked good so fresh fuel and 6 pulls later it was running. Dosen't look like it has had much use, has McCulloch chain still on it. Original? I thought it may be good parts for our others, but will stay a runner for sure.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1427046698633.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1427046698633.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 33
  • uploadfromtaptalk1427046746885.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1427046746885.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 32
Thanks guys! It is the best looking 10-10 I have. I too like the short clutch covers. This is the first one for me with short chainbrake. I have taken long chain brake covers and replaced with plain short covers..

A 790 is 103cc, a 797 is 123cc. Otherwise they are pretty much the same with maybe carb or having a decomp as the difference. The 797 is bigger, so more power and both are direct drive. A 125 is newer with AV and is 123cc's.

Well, I managed to get spark. Filed the points and changed the coil. While I had the starter off, I tried to start it using a drill on the flywheel bolt. After sputtering a few times, I decided to see what kind of compression I had. 85-90 lbs with the drill spinning the engine over.

I found some pretty heavy scuffing on the exhaust side of the piston.

YC77mZ61KFAdG1UCYy6XFIRE0UtT0oSutlc0_XLhxaA=w746-h524-no

The cylinder looks like it will clean up.

The only #'s on the piston are these: Is it a A,B or C type??
DSC00674%5B1%5D.JPG

Took a pic fo the coil. Never had one look like this.

I think I'll pull a coil from one of the 10-10's to get it up and running.

XlsnydcFeLKV3tMlSnjaaEP_BR-aM6HnOMPYSd0scKY=w978-h553-no
2UpmUetaB0FVJXYZIigq8e2PMHK_gNvL8Lofn-jE2hs=w691-h553-no

A 790 is 103cc, a 797 is 123cc. Otherwise they are pretty much the same with maybe carb or having a decomp as the difference. The 797 is bigger, so more power and both are direct drive. A 125 is newer with AV and is 123cc's.

Thanks for the info sawfun. So the 797 has more balls. Is the extra cc pretty noticable? I picked up a non runner 790 and am wondering if its worth the time and money to fix.

Well, I managed to get spark. Filed the points and changed the coil. While I had the starter off, I tried to start it using a drill on the flywheel bolt. After sputtering a few times, I decided to see what kind of compression I had. 85-90 lbs with the drill spinning the engine over.

I found some pretty heavy scuffing on the exhaust side of the piston.

YC77mZ61KFAdG1UCYy6XFIRE0UtT0oSutlc0_XLhxaA=w746-h524-no

The cylinder looks like it will clean up.

The only #'s on the piston are these: Is it a A,B or C type??
DSC00674%5B1%5D.JPG

The engine will have a stamp on it near the decompression port. If there is not stamp, it's a "B" cylinder. I may have joined the conversation late. What saw are you working on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longbar, I have not run a 790 or 795 against a 123cc Mac but would expect some difference in torque not speed with bars over 36" and would expect they could run a 50" bar where the bigger saws could run 2 or 3 foot more bar.

Yes a 790 is worth rebuilding if complete enough. While heavy for a 6 cube saw, they were well made and are a true muscle saw. They are akin to a SS396 chevy where the 797 is the SS427 or 454 or basically a smaller big block. If you don't want it, many here on the forum would. They do not bring the money the bigger saws do in resale their larger brother does so rebuilding one is a labor of love. If you are not cutting very big old growth, that saw will still serve you well.

Back a page to rarefish - that is a one man bar for the early saws like the 3-25...many customers were not convinced a one man saw was a real thing so the stinger made it more appealing. The bar appears to have the narrow slot for the 5/16" bar studs which was found on the earlier models.

deere... - If there is no stamp on the cylinder (top fin) it is a "B", customchainsawparts has the piston with rings and bearings for $45 + shipping, a real deal.

From my limited experience, the 795 is a long ways behind the SP125. I have most of the parts on hand to put together a 797, just no time yet to do it. I have high hopes for that one.

Mark

Jeff, clean that cylinder good. If you use reading glasses - wear them when you inspect your work. If you don't, ... well I would rather not say what might happen, but it won't be pretty. If rebuilt properly, I believe this could become one of your favorite saws. Ron

Latest posts

Back