MS361 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Venditto

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey Gents,
It's cold and rainin out so what should I do? Tear down my 361!
I like to keep 'er clean.
I want to do a muffler mod.
I have a gas leak. After running, when the saw sits on it's side, fuel fill up.

1. I pulled the spark plug wire off and the plug boot came off the wire. I assume that's a BAD thing. I seem to recall changing that part once before. I assume I have to do it again?

2. How does the muffler come off? I have the plastics off. I see the bottom front bracket. That bolt seems LONG and seems to be holding the crack case closed as well. Yes? Any issues in pulling it? I read there's three bolts, but I only see the one. Are those "plugs" in the front?

3. I notice lots of fine dust inside the air filter. What's that about? I've never replaced the filter, just vacuum it. I usually vacuum it all out and grease the filter seat. Am I missing anything here? How long does an air filter last.

4. What's the small inspection-like hole held on by a single screw, on the bar side of the muffler?

5. I'm not seeing any fuel residue inside the carb area.

Thanks In Advance,
TomJV

"gas leak" - Could be just a bad flippy cap causing the fuel leak.

Forget the muffler mod. You do not need that. Must have been a heckuva yank on that plug wire. Mine's been intact for 10 years.

Before you go any further and damage the saw anymore, I suggest you get a service manual.

Forget the muffler mod. You do not need that. Must have been a heckuva yank on that plug wire. Mine's been intact for 10 years.

Before you go any further and damage the saw anymore, I suggest you get a service manual.

A muffler mod on a 361 is well worth it in my opinion , the power bump is very noticable.

The MS361 needs a muffler mod as bad as any saw made. I highly encourage that you do so. You will also need to trim the limiting tabs from the carb needles and re-tune.

Yes, those are plugs in the front of the muffler. Simply pry them out. You'll find recessed bolts under each. The plug boot can be replaced.

No muff mod???

BLASPHEMY!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick and cheap muffler mod.
eea696612c9149f524f04b0a4577eefe.jpg

Use a cutoff disc in your Dremel.

Nope, I didn't man-handle the wire, I popped it off the plug and the boot came off, like it was already off. I'm not an animal and I've been around tools before.
Nope, I replaced the flippy cap last year. Also, I got in the habit of storing the saw on it's side with the caps facing up for this reason. It still leaks on its side. Still I know the caps can get out of sync and fuel can behave strangely, so point taken, I'll take another look at the cap.

As for the muffler, it's GONNA GET MODDED. YEAH!
I read on the Forestry Forum that those things that look like plugs IFO the muffler ARE indeed plugs. I pulled them and off it came.
I already bought the Husqvarna deflector part and screen which I will install on the muffler. I haven't decided how to affix it yet. I nut and bold would be nice, but I don't want to split the unit. Pity, I don't weld : (
67L36DRIVER's mod is simple enough, provides a defector and no hardware. Not much to look at LOL, but she works.
There's also the "shark fin" mod. This consists of three or four kerf cuts with the Dremel which are pulled outward. Again, no hardware to fall out and provides a deflector.
Here's an EXCELLENT LINK to 361 muff mod with pics:
http://www. forestry forum . com/board/index.php?topic=69759.0
It also shows the limiters trimming part of the job. I had this saw all apart a couple years ago when I rebuild the carb. I just can't remember if I did the limiters at that time. I'm gonna pull them and check them out.

As for the carb adjusting, I've done it by ear in the past(as per the manual). Recently I bought a tach.
Also, I noted there's a lot of black crap building up in the exhaust port and muffler intake. Apparently I've been running rich. There are worse things!
TomJV

Someone was kind enough to send me a shop manual.
The inspection port on the muffler is the spark arrestor. This is a normal service item. I'm surprised I never noticed it in the owner manual.
TomJV

For some reason pics won't upload. I'd post what I did. On the flywheel side of the muffler, mock up the deflector kit with the muffler installed. Mark where it fits without getting in the way. Put two 3/8th holes about a 1/4" apart, then cut out the space between. That should mostly fill the area under the husky deflector and give you an 85% port compared to exhaust opening. I used #8 half inch metal screws with 1/8" pilot holes...maybe it was slightly bigger. I'll put up a pic if it starts working.

The MS361 needs a muffler mod as bad as any saw made. I highly encourage that you do so. You will also need to trim the limiting tabs from the carb needles and re-tune.

Yes, those are plugs in the front of the muffler. Simply pry them out. You'll find recessed bolts under each. The plug boot can be replaced.
Well, Brad, after 10 years of running my 361, I have never done that. Maybe it's worth a try. She always seems a little weak trying to pull a 25" bar. Maybe that's why I bought my 046 Mag that never seems to breathe hard with a 25" bar on board.

Dang, I miss Lakeside 53. JackCC, if you can, post pics and I'll try it tomorrow. Cold weather on tap and a good time to do shop work.

Wood Doctor,
I only own one "ported" saw - a MS361. I don't know what Terry Landrum did to it and I don't particularly care for the increased noise, but that saw is impressive - enough so that I would do another one if I have a pristine 361 to send him. I have a well used stock 036Pro that I purchased new and until recently two MS362s. IMO very respectable saws, but nothing like the power of the modified 361. Is it in the league of a stock 046 - certainly no. Is it my go to saw - most certainly.
Ron

I'm all finished. Quite pleased with how it runs, going to cut wood tomorrow with it.

f522c225dcdc2a5855861001eeb12454.jpg

Got 3/8th full chisel semi skip on a 20" bar. Should cut nice.

b521c8b598c0bf33fd00f3d1a3b38475.jpg

Installed the husky deflector kit. I put two 3/8ths holes side by side and cut out the space between with a cutting wheel. I would say it's about 75% of the exhaust port. The acceleration between no muff mod and muff mod is substantial.

Did anybody advance the timing on their saw yet?

I had to quote one of my posts because pics still won't work. I'm using tapatalk.

I'm just glad husky makes that deflector kit. $15 something ain't much for something that does the job right and looks good. And I'm not saying the shark fin method is bad, but @67L36Driver did one of the crudest mods to date!! The adjustable feature is nice though ;)

Back