MS460 High Output Oiler Upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raganr

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
There are a few threads about upgrading the MS460 oil pump with a H/O oiler. Figured I would post some new pics since some of the older pics are gone now.

Used an impact gun with a 19mm socket to remove clutch. I didn’t take any pics before cleaning but here is one with everything cleaned up and apart.

i-Qdgws9h-L.jpg

Oil pump removed.
i-6xM4dhJ-L.jpg

Here is the roll pin that needs to be removed before pulling out the control bolt. I sure was happy that I had a roll pin punch and holder set. I would probably order another roll pin if doing this again.

i-bLPbvS5-L.jpg

With he control bolt removed, this brass bushing needs to be pryed/pulled out. I used a set of vise grips but it did mar it up a bit. Used a file to clean up the burrs.

Note: When re-assembling, you need to depress the pump piston through the brass bushing while inserting the control bolt. Any punch or broken off q-tip should work.

i-PcBpd4k-L.jpg

Oil pump apart. Don’t loose the two small washers/shims that go on each side of the spring. The roll pin was a little mangled but I was able to re-use it.

i-q5rXnXN-L.jpg

Old pump piston on left, new one on right. They looked the same to me. … Guess I could have saved $35. The control bolt, 2 washers, and sealing ring were only $8 total.

i-GJH8rdX-L.jpg

The old control bolt on the left and new H/O bolt on the right. A clear difference.
i-6ZsMwC8-L.jpg

Finally got around to adding a Madsens ¾ wrap I scored a while ago from the classifieds. Also mounted a 28” ES Light bar.
i-SZ7XjdM-L.jpg

i-XffJwq5-L.jpg

Parts used:
i-GkkXNbP-L.jpg

i-KTGPKTT-L.jpg

i-RCW9k53-L.jpg

Roll Pin PN = 9380 620 1090

Also scored a 20“ Cannon Super Bar Plus (wide nose) for this saw and will get some pics posted of that set up soon as well.

Been working on my square filing as well….. I am really enjoying Homelite410’s chain vise.
i-zsSrQbg-L.jpg

I should get a chance to test it out this weekend on a large downed pecan tree :)

Great instruction. I did that change a while back. I made the punch and I recall it is about 1/16" diameter? Almost had to dig out the magnifier headset. LOL

Are you talking about on top of the control bolt?

Are you talking about on top of the control bolt?
Pump piston. If you spin it over inside the housing you'll see it move farther as it rides the control bolt. You can make the pin a little smaller to get more stroke also.

Pump piston. If you spin it over inside the housing you'll see it move farther as it rides the control bolt. You can make the pin a little smaller to get more stroke also.

The pin at the opposite end of the screw slot on the control bolt ?

Do you think the old control bolt could be moddified to flow like the H/O control bolt meaning that this modd could be done without new parts? Nice thread and pics btw, good info as many would want to do this.

Do you think the old control bolt could be moddified to flow like the H/O control bolt meaning that this modd could be done without new parts? Nice thread and pics btw, good info as many would want to do this.
Yes, mdavlee said it (4posts up), I believe it, and am going to do it !!

I'd be willing to wager that he has done it already, he is one crafty dude !!

The 440 doesn't allow the HO parts upgrade. You have to mod them for more flow.

Definitely noticed more oil consumption. Pretty close to an empty oil tank when fuel tank was empty. Even with the bar almost buried, I could see oil flinging off tip onto adjacent fresh cut wood.

Wood is pecan :)

i-xhzq6mg-L.jpg

i-PvbjvRZ-L.jpg

i-tt7tktn-L.jpg

Got 2 loads like this. Still another 1 or 2 left.

i-ZzfzJCf-L.jpg

Will put the Cannon SBP on the saw for the next few loads.

i-r4SMMXp-L.jpg

i-KrJ5f7S-L.jpg

Video with the Cannon bar. Yes, I saw the smoke. Bar was getting oil, I checked after mounting it and I could tell the saw was pumping oil based on the oil tank level. Chain tension was good too.... I did just decide to give Tractor Supply/County Line brand bar oil a try.

Another one with a hand filed chain on the 28"

i-gChVpK5-L.jpg

i-BN5Q5bs-L.jpg

i-Hp9XrQw-L.jpg

Can I bump an old (but VERY helpful) thread to ask how on earth you get the "roll pin" out? Or, more precisely, how you use a roll pin punch and holder set? I googled images of a set, and they're cheap enough. I can imagine how they help for installation (just a really small punch, basically, right?), but how does the tool set help for removal?

Thanks in advance!

Follow up on my own question in case someone has the same later. The roll pin goes straight through. I found that a very small finish nail was the perfect size and pushed the pin straight through.

Removing the brass bushing was painless. Have the new control bolt on order from @Definitive Dave . Will follow up when it's all back together.

One question... does anyone know if f the Aftermarket pumps can be modded the same way?

Latest posts

Back