My logging winch repair project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job. I bought the same winch this spring. I gave it its first real workout this weekend. I couldn't figure out how the chain tensioner was supposed to work. Your pics helped. Mine had a new tensioner on it and the chain rides inside the disc. The end of the PTO shaft is different than mine.I don't have a bolt and washer on mine. All There is, is an external snap ring that holds the end from coming through the outside bearing. It appears that your original shaft had that, but the new one doesn't?? The previous owner did put new bearings and clutch in mine though. Where did you buy the parts from?
Someone fabricated a cover that protects the outside bearing on mine, which seems to make sense. It seems pretty vulnerable out there. what kind of tractor are you running there?

You have a problem that the shaft moves backwards?

Its a piece of tube between the sprocket and the bearing, you can see it in my new parts pic.

Can you post a picture?

No my shaft is fine. It just appears to be different than yours. Mine uses a snap ring on the end of the shaft instead of a bolt and washer to keep it in the bearing. I have the tube between the sprocket and bearing. Mine is now about 120 miles away so I cant take a photo right now.

It might been made by someone, the shaft is expensive and quite easy to make if you are using snap rings. Original part has a links bolt and all Fransgård winches I have seen has had this bolt at the end.

Like I said mine has a cover on it, so I don't look at it much. Maybe I don't remember correctly. I will have to pop the cover and look at it again.

You might have a Norse Winch, its almost identical but it has a cover for the bearing and the PTO shaft is little bit to the left and not at center as it is on Fransgård.

It has a Fransgard sticker on it. The bearing cover appears to be homemade.

OK, suppose you have the manual for it? V3000 or V4000?

Yes I have checked out that manual before. It is definitely a 3000. That parts breakdown on the manual shows a circlip only on end of the shaft. I do see a illegible handwritten notation about a bolt. I bet the part changed over the years because I think the circlip was weak. The only reason I know anything about this is that my sprocket had pulled out because the clip was missing. I took it apart to find out what the problem was. THe clip was missing. $.79 and I was back in business. I bet that part was superceded with the one you have now.

here

Attachments

• IMG_20140407_175130_379.jpg
    IMG_20140407_175130_379.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 98
    93.6 KB · Views: 91
    93.6 KB · Views: 85
Nice tractor, and having a winch makes Forrest work so much easier..

Post a few pics of the brake on such simple logging winches , many don't understand how simple the construction is, have seen discussion on you must have reverse PTO and you can't release the winch etc.

qupehude.jpg

de4e7ame.jpg

dasymy8a.jpg

9ymevape.jpg

Pics of the drum brake, this is there to stop the drum spinning when you drag out the wire, if it don't work the drum will keep on spinning after you stop dragging the wire and unwind a lot of wire, this makes a total mess when you start pulling whit the winch.
Often this mess gets so bad that you must rewind the whole wire length.

sejaheje.jpg

nuhy8y8y.jpg

amehytyp.jpg

agvg , thanks for the thread , lots of good reference material in those pics .
I've spent a bit of time with a few Farmi's and I own a little Norse 180 , it's very rare that we use the brake unless dragging the log instead of setting the choker on the winch frame , if it was set and everything was tight we'd just back the tractor to release the brake .

Normally you hang them on the winch but in difficult terrain its safer to release the wire and just drive the tractor thru and pull the logs whit the winch. Step hills are dangerous when you go up and have logs attach to the winch it self.

2abyqudu.jpg

Have an Sandvik/Norse 3081 too, a much heavier built winch, but both pull 3000kg.

Norse/Sandvik/Igland and Farmi has usual been considered a more heavy duty than Fransgard in those days this was used in pro logging.
Today super heavy duty tractor winches are all most strictly Igland whit large one and two drum winches. Tajfun and Uniforest are also getting larger.
Fransgard has come whit new and more pro models in the last years.

Latest posts

Back