NEED INFORMATION ON HOW TO

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RED C

Reaction score
Trying to find information on how to add an electric start to a 10 hp 34 ton Huskee wood splitter
been to Huskee and they can't help...saw a thread from a Billy Bob about adding an electric start to
his but can't contact him....can anyone help me out?
TIA

I think it was about 6 years ago, TSC had a 34 ton electric start Huskee splitter. Thought it was kind of neat-but pricey. Looked at it, haven't seen one since. Not absolutely sure, but I think Huskee is made (or was) by Speeco. Maybe you could contact them.

It's based off what engine you have Honda, Briggs etc. see what engine and model do a search for starter. It should have a place on engine already there for starter to bolt up to .

It's based off what engine you have Honda, Briggs etc. see what engine and model do a search for starter. It should have a place on engine already there for starter to bolt up to .
that would work if he used a starter that used 110v AC via extension cord...
but if he wants a real electric start its a bit more involved than just getting a starter, if the engine doesnt have a charging system already then he would also need a stator+voltage regulator, and likely a different flywheel, one with the magnents for the stator, starter switch+solenoid, its a bit more than just slapping a starter on it.
he could also just do the starter without the charging system and just have to charge the battery whenever it dies...

I'm talking 12 volt starter kit
ive never seen a 12v "kit" that includes everything for a complete electric start...
also since its a Briggs if it is recoil start only, then its likely that the flywheel wouldnt even have a ring gear for the starter bendix to engage with.
if this was a tecumseh engine it would probably have a ring gear as they didnt have many variations...

Can you say lazy? Really, your splitting woold but can't/wont pull a chord? just sayen.

Trying to find information on how to add an electric start to a 10 hp 34 ton Huskee wood splitter
been to Huskee and they can't help...saw a thread from a Billy Bob about adding an electric start to
his but can't contact him....can anyone help me out?
TIA
I had a 10 HP B and S mower with a starter on it.

We did this to our 35 Ton Huskee a few years ago. It had a B&S 12.5 hp engine with recoil. The seals were going bad on the engine (several years old), and it needed an engine swap. For a few reasons, we decided to upgrade it to an electric start. The original didn't have any setup to retrofit a starter. There weren't any teeth on the flywheel, and no setup to mount a starter, etc. We ended up buying an electric start B&S 12.5 (essentially the same engine as the original with an electric start setup) and swapped it out. We mounted a battery box to the front of the engine mount on the splitter and bought a battery, a couple of cables and ended up putting in a key start so we could kid-proof it. The replacement engine didn't come with a gas tank (most don't) and some of the other essential bits were required off of the original engine to make it work properly, so take that into account when/if you buy a replacement engine as those parts may not be compatible or interchangeable across manufacturers. All in all, we dropped about $500 on the conversion, and have been very happy with the results - we're on year four with the new engine and run about 20 cord a year through it. HF may be your best bet for a new one. Otherwise, you could keep an eye out on CL for a used riding mower engine that you could use for the swap.

Latest posts

Back