Need your opinions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I have it in me. For another 10 to 15. At least hope I do if not then I’m screwed either way wether it be tree cutting or pipe fitting. Long ago i never planned for retirement now looks like I have to work till the day I die

42 is not old, but you are heading toward old age and decrepitude. The older I become the more I find it important when facing hard work to work smarter rather than to work harder. That may involve using machinery when previously I would have used muscle, and may mean getting getting help to do something I previously would have managed alone. Sometimes just taking time to analyse what needs to be done allows me to figure out a less strenuous (or quicker) way to accomplsh the task. But it also requires recognizing limitations, and could mean you would be best to turn down some jobs to save yourself for jobs within your capabilities. I would think that 42 is not too old to start a tree service, whether it would be prosperous could depend on your local market.

I might be older but I come from the old school
:rolleyes: 42, old school:lol:.
I think you can do it, don't see you being old school, just a hard worker:cheers:.
As oldmaple said he's still doing it, the question I ask myself is do I want to do it.
There's plenty of money out there and it sounds as though you are already in some great paying work. I would say pay cash for all the equipment you need, get the business 100% set up, and money coming in(similar to what you are doing now), then quit. It's not hard to make money doing tree work, but it will be hard to keep it going through a slow time if you owe on equipment and have a few employees.
Personally I don't underbid, but usually overbid because its what I'm going to get paid for my time/equipment, although I keep in mind what others are charging for similar work. Since I don't have the equipment many times I can't do the work as cheap as a larger company can, what's funny is I have no problem telling a potential customer that, most times they still use me as there is a reason why they called me in the first place, it's called references.

So it's not just your ability to stand up to the physical demands, it's also a question of several other required elements of running a successful business--and truth be told, a little luck besides. People often possess the stuff to succeed, but are set back by circumstances beyond their control (fate, bad luck--call it what you like).

Besides the physical side of tree work, you need to be able to talk to customers and gain their trust. You need to figure which investments in equipment will pay off, and which will saddle you with too much debt, or will drag you down with repair costs. (The more equipment, the more maintenance, and if you let that go you'll wish you hadn't.) You need to hire--and then keep--good help. You need to know how to balance family and business--believe me, this will come up. You need to know how to price your work, a fine balance between pricing yourself out of work or selling yourself too cheap. There are probably a few other things, but this gives you an idea.

Probably the best advice I've ever heard about starting ANY business, is to have enough cash on hand to see you through the first year when you can't expect income to outpace expenses.

You might be the perfect candidate for this work, or you might try it and fall flat. No one can tell you which. There's a certain fulfillment to running your own show, but everyone who does it has had moments of "How did I ever think this was better than drawing a steady paycheck?"

So it's not just your ability to stand up to the physical demands, it's also a question of several other required elements of running a successful business--and truth be told, a little luck besides. People often possess the stuff to succeed, but are set back by circumstances beyond their control (fate, bad luck--call it what you like).

Besides the physical side of tree work, you need to be able to talk to customers and gain their trust. You need to figure which investments in equipment will pay off, and which will saddle you with too much debt, or will drag you down with repair costs. (The more equipment, the more maintenance, and if you let that go you'll wish you hadn't.) You need to hire--and then keep--good help. You need to know how to balance family and business--believe me, this will come up. You need to know how to price your work, a fine balance between pricing yourself out of work or selling yourself too cheap. There are probably a few other things, but this gives you an idea.

Probably the best advice I've ever heard about starting ANY business, is to have enough cash on hand to see you through the first year when you can't expect income to outpace expenses.

You might be the perfect candidate for this work, or you might try it and fall flat. No one can tell you which. There's a certain fulfillment to running your own show, but everyone who does it has had moments of "How did I ever think this was better than drawing a steady paycheck?"
You have a lot of good input there and I really appreciate it. I’m trying to sit down and put an actual business plan togeather and look at the funds needed and the funds available. And the situation about family and work. Yes I can see where that could become a problem. And much thought and planning must be put into that part of it. It’s just as much important to balance that as it is your checking account and maintenance of equipment. Sounds like you might have been there or through there perhaps maybe you can help give me some advice from time to time.

I hear that, a mans gotta know his place :drinkingcoffee:.
That's why I don't do tree work full time, not where I am in life, maybe one day I will for now it's fun though.
I do have a nice job to do this week, easy peasy:dancing:.
As Dirty Harry said at the close of Magnum force

A man's got to know his limitations.

If I were to give advices to my kids I’d tell them not to start before 35 or 40, so u r not too late. This is not a business for the young and brave. Bravery is called stupidity here. I started when I was close to 40. Mature and with responsibility of supporting a wife and 4 kids. I know that I cannot afford to get hurt or killed so I’m extra careful. Now I’m in it for over 15 years and I have more than enough to keep myself busy without advertising at all, strictly by referrals. Agree with the good advices given, do not under bid! You already have your bread n butter covered by ur primary job so u can afford to make a good profit on every job. Also, make sure you stand out. Let ur client know u more than a good tree trimmer so they stick to you even u r not the cheapest. Most likely you’ll not hire someone for a while so u can find cheaper liability coverage for cheap as owner operator. If u stick to those guidelines, you’ll do well after maybe 5 years. Remember, don’t b cheap! First start, I was happy going home with 500. 5 years later I feel suck if I don’t bring home 1000. Now I normally get 1500 to 2000 for a 8-10 hour day. 2500 day is not uncommon.

I agree Erwin this is no place for bravery. I love my life and my family. And yes my insurance is cheap. As just owner. And the point of bidding you stress yes must remember I already have my bread and butter so it’s not like I have to depend on this solely for the bills. I must remember that and to always give a customer exceptional work. Thank you for your advice and reply

I hear that, a mans gotta know his place :drinkingcoffee:.
That's why I don't do tree work full time, not where I am in life, maybe one day I will for now it's fun though.
I do have a nice job to do this week, easy peasy:dancing:.

Tree work is full time for me. But my feet are on the ground.

I started out as a climber, but I was too slow and I had too many bad days being uncomfortable with different situations in the tree.

On the other hand, I'm an awesome groundman. :D

If you're into pain and misery join the club. I retired at 51 after 27 years climbing. Climbing is a young man's game but being a bucket b*tch can extend your career.

Yep. Climbing is a young mans game. So is tree service starting. Far as the bucket goes, that’s like saying a tractor can extend ones log loading career. :laugh:

One thing I’ve noticed in this business is that they keep coming. Man, do they keep coming.

Indeed.

I think every time there's a storm and a few trees go down, two more companies start up with dreams of mega-thousand dollar insurance jobs.

Little do they realize, often enough, that they still have to make payments for all their new fancy gear even when the weather is nice, or when winter hits and business drops like a rock.

Latest posts

Back