New ms 880 runs with 361 unlimited coil.....it works!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 308762[video=youtube_share;QOBoRQ6cAO8]http://youtu.be/QOBoRQ6cAO8[/video]

It still needs tuned but it seems to act similar to the saw that was modded with a 441 coil...(really rich) Im sorry I didn't tach it yet because I was so excited just to start it. I will pull the limiter caps, mod the muff and tach it later today or tonight.....Im very hopeful this works and don't kill a $1700 saw.

It runs about 11,400 at wot with the leanest setting the H limiter cap allows. It's REALLY fat. I have to get cutting bits for my dremel to mod the muffler so I will post an updated video after all that is completed.

That's excellent news. We know that the 361 coil isn't limited. If you're experiencing anything other than a completely adjustable saw, then it's in the carb. I know that the carbs on the earlier 880s were not limited. At one time, some thought they were, but that proved to not be true. I swapped nothing more than the coil on them and had a fully adjustable saw.

Thanks for taking the step and putting the 361 coil swap at rest, now get to muff modding
as for the 441 being limited, I was under the impression that its not

Sorry no video tonight. As you can see I got the muffler gutted and the stock port opened up. Limiter caps were pulled and trimmed. I'll run it in the AM. Not sure if I'll have enough exhaust flow with it the way it is or if I need to add another port on the opposite side. Guess I'll see tomorrow.

View attachment 308820View attachment 308821View attachment 308822

Thanks for taking the step and putting the 361 coil swap at rest, now get to muff modding
as for the 441 being limited, I was under the impression that its not

I believe the older ones were not but the new version is. And your welcome...the 361 coil only cost half of what the 441 was $36 vs about $80.

441 does have a limited coil, I *think* at 12,5

Does anyone have an answer to what is causing these saws to run x-tra rich with just the change of the coil. Could the voltage output be lower causing more un-burnt fuel. Just curious

I just ran it and tached it. Best I could get is 12,400 with H jet turned closed. It stutters and stumbles from idle but when I try to richen it it back fires which I don't like. I don't like holding it at wot...even after its warmed up. Im running 40:1 ultra with 100ll. I can definitely tell a difference after the muff mod mostly with throttle response (and it's LOUD). Im going to test it in some hickory but I don't have anything larger than 20 in right now.

Timing ain't right. 12,400 is pretty fast for 120cc's, are you looking for a racer, or just a fast runner? Going to 32:1 will lean out the air/fuel mixture a bit by impeding flow thru the jet, and prolly just be generally better for that saw, but I suspect fuel ratio isn't the only issue. Don't kill the saw!

I'm concerned that there could be a limiter in the carb, and that the carb is actually super lean. I don't know that, but be VERY careful. Just listen to it in the cut and you should be fine. I don't think slightly retarded timing would prevent it from revving out. If you want to be for sure, I think you can swap out to the earlier 880 intake and run a 084/088 carb.

Latest posts

Back