New ms 880 runs with 361 unlimited coil.....it works!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just read the entire post that beergut started about a year ago. He seemed to get much better results with the 441 coil and the dual port than I am with the 361 coil. Could my muffler still be too restrictive. He didn't use the different intake/carb and his was at 3/4 turn off full lean at 13k. He also had much better throttle response and no bog/pop. Best I got was 12,400 with h screw tight and no matter how much I tried to tweak the L setting it still bogged/popped. Im thinking the combo of more retarded timing of the 361 coil and the need for another port on the muffler is my problem. It's the only thing different from beerguts setup. I might try to get a 660 coil tomorrow and see if the timing is more compatible. Im open to any suggestions.

I don't think it is an exhaust issue. I think it is mostly timing, and Young is likely right about the timing difference of "compatible" coils. But is partly the nature of the 880/3120xp. I'm not saying nobody uses them, but for all practical purposes, nobody uses them. Your 660/390xp will kick its ass for most things. If you want a ##### slapper, I'd just quit the chemistry experiment and send it to one of the big boys for that purpose. Or better yet, send the 390xp off for porting. I've never run one, but they look awesome for the size. Or still (stihl?)better yet, send both of em off:cheers:

I don't think it is an exhaust issue. I think it is mostly timing, and Young is likely right about the timing difference of "compatible" coils. But is partly the nature of the 880/3120xp. I'm not saying nobody uses them, but for all practical purposes, nobody uses them. Your 660/390xp will kick its ass for most things. If you want a ##### slapper, I'd just quit the chemistry experiment and send it to one of the big boys for that purpose. Or better yet, send the 390xp off for porting. I've never run one, but they look awesome for the size. Or still (stihl?)better yet, send both of em off:cheers:

Yeah I know but when I get an idea in my head it's almost like a challenge just to get it to work. I plan on having it ported but like Brad mentioned all these issues must be worked out first. My 390 and 660 are both great cutters but they aren't 122cc. My favorite go to saw I have is my 038s. It looks like a turd but cuts/works awesome.

You need to put your stock coil back on. Borrow a timing light or buy one, a cheap one works fine..... A dial indicator for TDC of the piston is handy but not required, you will need to know this for timing. Run it and note where your timing is at on stock coil, and change to 361 coil, and note difference. You may need to remove flywheel key and dial it in correctly with no key and check timing again to hit it dead nuts. The key dosent hold the flywheel, the taper does when torqued to spec.

I have used this method without having to remove key and adjust flywheel when i replaced the electronic ignition module on a stihl 076 with an electonic module. No adjustment needed but i did check it with a timing light.

Yeah I know but when I get an idea in my head it's almost like a challenge just to get it to work. I plan on having it ported but like Brad mentioned all these issues must be worked out first. My 390 and 660 are both great cutters but they aren't 122cc. My favorite go to saw I have is my 038s. It looks like a turd but cuts/works awesome.

I totally get that, but those boys have stuff you don't have.

no, all the coils i listed interchange with the 361 coil. they do just bolt up and use 2 mounting screws rather than the 3.

again talking about the 361 compared to the 1300 coil and 460/660 coil.

When I looked at doing this coil swap I found,361/441/880 will all interchange fit wise and so will a lot of the other newshape coils but 046/660 two mount coils will not, the hole spacing is different as well,the cases don't have room for the rounder coil

Are you saying you got one to fit up?

be interesting to see what the diffs are

The 361 coil is going to work. The saw and coil are at Dozerdans to be milled and ported. The timing will have to be advanced but in the end I should have a totally unlimited saw. Spent a great day at his place today and learned a little about the art of modding saws and shared some great stories. I'm lucky to have one of the original saw modders so close to me. Oh and the 028 super he ported for me screams like a banshee:chainsaw:

The 361 coil is going to work. The saw and coil are at Dozerdans to be milled and ported. The timing will have to be advanced but in the end I should have a totally unlimited saw. Spent a great day at his place today and learned a little about the art of modding saws and shared some great stories. I'm lucky to have one of the original saw modders so close to me. Oh and the 028 super he ported for me screams like a banshee:chainsaw:

What impressed you more, your 028 or my slow string trimmer? LOL

Later
Dan

Both but I think the diff is the 028 belongs to me....Thanks to you a new project is going to be underway soon.

If they ever have sting trimmer races I think that I can hold my own in the 25cc and under class.

Later
Dan

Can you get ahold of any premium fuel other than E10 stuff where you are at? There are times that 100LL won't burn properly without higher compression and other mods to a saw. With no engine mods it might very well run better on 92 or 93 octane.

Can you get ahold of any premium fuel other than E10 stuff where you are at? There are times that 100LL won't burn properly without higher compression and other mods to a saw. With no engine mods it might very well run better on 92 or 93 octane.

No and I don't mind having the small loss of power to know that im getting pure fuel that will store for a long, long time.

I have no doubt that the 361coil
Is viable,you already proved that,its the fit of the older coils that i was refering too ,can't wait to see what you end up with:)

Back