New ms 880 runs with 361 unlimited coil.....it works!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a vid of it in about 20 in hickory. Chain is starting to dull but im not impressed. Yes I know I have no safety equipment on. And yes the video sucks it was filmed by my 8 year old daughter on my cell phone. The saw definitely 4 strokes at WOT and cleans up in the cut. I just cant seem to get the tuning right. Im not sure what beergut did to his to get it to run at 13k. I am nowhere even close and honestly I'm not even gonna try. Just pulled the muff cover and piston still looks fine. May stop now before I destroy it.

[video=youtube_share;5wdRnd60P_k]http://youtu.be/5wdRnd60P_k[/video]

Last edited:
Tune it where it won't clean up in the cut, and then lean it out until it does. If the carb has a governor, it could sound pig rich at WOT, yet be extremely lean in the cut. As far as sounding goes, it sounds fine. You will likely never be impressed with a stock 880. Many aren't.

blsnelling;4462600 You will likely never be impressed with a stock 880. Many aren't.[/QUOTE said:
The whole idea that I had was to make a fast cutter with the torque of a semi truck. I plan on having it ported I just wanted to see if this coil would work.

i got an 880 carb from mine with the cast muffler you could try if ya need one..
i don't really wanna sell it, but i'd loan it out for diagnostics testing, long as ya don't disect it (since your in the medical field and stuff)..
as far as i know it's not in any way limited, as was once believed,,

i got an 880 carb from mine with the cast muffler you could try if ya need one..
i don't really wanna sell it, but i'd loan it out for diagnostics testing, long as ya don't disect it (since your in the medical field and stuff)..

That should work. Does anyone know if he needs to change the intake boot? I thought there was talk that it had been changed as well.

That sounds good....yes im in the medical field but I usually am involved with fixing things up...not dissecting except for the occasional organ harvest.:msp_tongue:

the carb i have is a tillotsn HT-12E
the intake manifold/boot on my saw looks like part # 1124-141-2201
don't know if they changed that on the newer stainless muffler saw or not ??

Early 441 coils were not limited. Later ones are.
cool mine must be the early one

I'm concerned that there could be a limiter in the carb, and that the carb is actually super lean. I don't know that, but be VERY careful. Just listen to it in the cut and you should be fine. I don't think slightly retarded timing would prevent it from revving out. If you want to be for sure, I think you can swap out to the earlier 880 intake and run a 084/088 carb.

Double check that other thread to be sure. I'm pretty sure he made that swap.

That should work. Does anyone know if he needs to change the intake boot? I thought there was talk that it had been changed as well.

ok guys,even though this was hashed out in the other thread i'll clean it up
firstly the wg 12 carb seems to be lacking with the coil swap and muff modd,it ran ok but wasn't strong in the cut and had some backfire/popping going on

to fit the tillotson carb from any of the previous models ,you will need to change out the intake boot and inner sleeve ,they have a larger diameter butterfly which will hang up on the smaller boot,so a change out is required

I ended up with the 441 coil,088 intake boot and sleeve,and a HT7a tilly,i left the original ex port alone and added the husky deflector and opened the area behind it right up,
this makes a slouchy 880 into a strong runner with just a few swapped out parts

since the 361 coils works, the 046/460/066/660 will work also. but they have more advance timing then the 361 coil. also the common 1300 coil should work which has no timing advance.

since the 361 coils works, the 046/460/066/660 will work also. but they have more advance timing then the 361 coil. also the common 1300 coil should work which has no timing advance.

the coil shape and dimensions are different to the older style ones ,not saying it cant work but they wont just bolt up otherwise the 088 coil would have been used

ok guys,even though this was hashed out in the other thread i'll clean it up
firstly the wg 12 carb seems to be lacking with the coil swap and muff modd,it ran ok but wasn't strong in the cut and had some backfire/popping going on

to fit the tillotson carb from any of the previous models ,you will need to change out the intake boot and inner sleeve ,they have a larger diameter butterfly which will hang up on the smaller boot,so a change out is required

I ended up with the 441 coil,088 intake boot and sleeve,and a HT7a tilly,i left the original ex port alone and added the husky deflector and opened the area behind it right up,
this makes a slouchy 880 into a strong runner with just a few swapped out parts[/QUOTE]

I read the previous post lots of times. splitpost you used the previous model intake and carb but beergut did not. He kept the original carb and intake. His saw was tuned to 13k. I agree something else is limiting the saw. Has to be the carb. Even when I have mine tuned to 12,4 it makes max power when tuned to about 11k. No matter what I do the timing is a major issue at low RPM's. It loads up, stumbles and pops etc. That suggests to me that even with the different carb the timing is still going to be an issue. I wish I had the MS880 just prior to the current model. The 088 coil swap sounds much easier. I'm done for now until I get the intake and carb parts.

the coil shape and dimensions are different to the older style ones ,not saying it cant work but they wont just bolt up otherwise the 088 coil would have been used

no, all the coils i listed interchange with the 361 coil. they do just bolt up and use 2 mounting screws rather than the 3.

again talking about the 361 compared to the 1300 coil and 460/660 coil.

I just read the entire post that beergut started about a year ago. He seemed to get much better results with the 441 coil and the dual port than I am with the 361 coil. Could my muffler still be too restrictive. He didn't use the different intake/carb and his was at 3/4 turn off full lean at 13k. He also had much better throttle response and no bog/pop. Best I got was 12,400 with h screw tight and no matter how much I tried to tweak the L setting it still bogged/popped. Im thinking the combo of more retarded timing of the 361 coil and the need for another port on the muffler is my problem. It's the only thing different from beerguts setup. I might try to get a 660 coil tomorrow and see if the timing is more compatible. Im open to any suggestions.

Back