Performance saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzznutsoz

Performance Saws Australia
Reaction score
Hi all,
Not sure if this is the right spot to post this but just want to know where to advertise a business,
I've recently started performance saws in Melbourne Australia and I'm looking to get the word around to get some work in and create some awesome saws for customers, so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi all,
Not sure if this is the right spot to post this but just want to know where to advertise a business,
I've recently started performance saws in Melbourne Australia and I'm looking to get the word around to get some work in and create some awesome saws for customers, so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
What's your rate for port work mate?

I'm working around $100 - $300 depending on what sort of port work is required, mild to extreme is the scale I'm using, also am equipped to fabricate expansion chambers and any other custom work requested

I'm working around $100 - $300 depending on what sort of port work is required, mild to extreme is the scale I'm using, also am equipped to fabricate expansion chambers and any other custom work requested

I am interested in seeing some photos of your work and vids of saws stock vs ported if you have them.

Where abouts are you located? I have a few saws that I would be interested to get "tweaked" to see what all the fuss of porting a saw is about. o_O

I'll have to admit that I'm pretty hopeless when i comes to photos n vids a friend of mine used to do that stuff for me so he has basically anything an everything I know of and unfortunately that's where it ends.
My latest experiment you might say is, I decided to see how much I can get out of theses Chinese saws that are getting around and so far so good on a 72cc saw that has extreme porting, muffler mod ( expansion chamber in the build) , modified carb and ignition system mods and I must say it has surprised me, also ms 390 in the build and on the search for a husky around the same size to do a comparison.
I'm in outer north of Melb, an happy to do pick ups ( within reason ) where r u?
Your also welcome to come and see first hand if your interested, that way you'll get more of an idea of how things are done.

I am interested in seeing some photos of your work and vids of saws stock vs ported if you have them.

Where abouts are you located? I have a few saws that I would be interested to get "tweaked" to see what all the fuss of porting a saw is about. o_O
Melbourne, Australia he said.

Yeah you'll need to be a site sponsor to advertise porting work here mate. There are a few Chinese 365 copies with BB kits running in the under 77cc class doing quite well in Australia (very well in fact).
What's your background in saw porting and do you have any customers using them in a professional sense? Can you machine squish bands etc?
All handy info and good luck with it. All of my ported saws have come from US builders.

Yeah you'll need to be a site sponsor to advertise porting work here mate. There are a few Chinese 365 copies with BB kits running in the under 77cc class doing quite well in Australia (very well in fact).
What's your background in saw porting and do you have any customers using them in a professional sense? Can you machine squish bands etc?
All handy info and good luck with it. All of my ported saws have come from US builders.

I understand that some of those can run really well when properly ported, and with a good piston (doesn't usually come in the same kit).

Personally I wouldn't try, unless I had an expert doing it.

I understand that some of those can run really well when properly ported, and with a good piston (doesn't usually come in the same kit).

Personally I wouldn't try, unless I had an expert doing it.

There are a few issues with certain BB kits as far as transfer sizes go but that is more from a racing potential sense. The 365/371/372 BB kits seem to be doing very well however and look to be one of the few BB kits that can outperform a standard OEM kit.

Ok fair call everyone I will gather some photos and put then up , you'll just have to bare with me that's all.

MCW my background is 2 stroke performance in general, porting is just one of the skills I have acquired over many years of working with these engines, and that ranges from motorbikes to cars, and by cars I mean rotarys, and I actually have pics of a PP engine I ported not that long ago for one of the shops here, now as for chainsaws, well it still is a 2 stroke engine and all main princables are still the same and I enjoy playing around with themimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

There are a few issues with certain BB kits as far as transfer sizes go but that is more from a racing potential sense. The 365/371/372 BB kits seem to be doing very well however and look to be one of the few BB kits that can outperform a standard OEM kit.
Some no doubt can - but it doesn't happen when someone just puts one on as is - and most people won't know what kit to buy in the first place.

Cool. So you can machine cylinders etc to increase compression? Do you need timing numbers etc?
I'd be happy to send you a Dolmar 7900 BB kit (kit only) if you'd be interested. I can give you basic squish numbers so you know what to machine off the squish band to get squish around .018-.020" if that helps.
I love rotaries too :D

Some no doubt can - but it doesn't happen when someone just puts one on as is.

Actually you might be surprised Niko. The MS660 BB and 365/371/372 BB kits I have here will hang with an OEM kit. Some versions of the Dolmar/Makita BB kits are probably even more impressive than the Mahle OEM kits but many aren't.
Most of the Stihl BB kits are behind OEM and the 395XP BB kits don't seem to perform the same as the standard 56mm kits. You'll hear different stories from different people though but everybody has to remember that there are a fair few manufacturers of these kits now and some are better than others. I've had some shockers plus some absolute crackers as long as the rings are swapped over to a decent set like Caber.

I'd be very interested in timing numbers MCW and also interested in the BB kit and squish numbers you refer to, one of the best tools I have access to I think is a CNC machine the sky is the limit with those machines

Actually you might be surprised Niko. The MS660 BB and 365/371/372 BB kits I have here will hang with an OEM kit. Some versions of the Dolmar/Makita BB kits are probably even more impressive than the Mahle OEM kits but many aren't.
Most of the Stihl BB kits are behind OEM and the 395XP BB kits don't seem to perform the same as the standard 56mm kits. You'll hear different stories from different people though but everybody has to remember that there are a fair few manufacturers of these kits now and some are better than others. I've had some shockers plus some absolute crackers as long as the rings are swapped over to a decent set like Caber.

Some of that fits with what my brother has told me (I rely on him on this topic), but then you don't really know if buying another kit of the same kind really is the same. Consistancy seem to be abscent in the world of aftermarket parts (I am sure there are exceptions, but how to know which it is, and when?). Then there are the pistons and rings, as you noted.

My point isn't to bash all aftermarket kits, but rather to make some readers aware the they don't necessarily perform better than OEM, just because they say "Big Bore" in the advertising - and you don't really know what you will get when you order one .
Usually they don't even perform as well as OEM when stock, despite they say "BB" in the marketing - but there will always be exceptions.

Some of that fits with what my brother has told me (I rely on him on this topic), but then you don't really know if buying another kit of the same kind really is the same. Consistancy seem to be abscent in the world of aftermarket parts (I am sure there are exceptions, but how to know which it is, and when?). Then there are the pistons and rings, as you noted.

My point isn't to bash all aftermarket kits, but rather to make some readers aware the they don't nesessarily perform better than OEM, just because they say "Big Bore" in the advertising.
Usually they don't even perform as well as OEM when stock, despite they say "BB" in the marketing - but there will always be exceptions.

Agreed 100% Niko :)

Another thing, it usually is the (non-strato) quad style Husky cylinders with long transfers that are easiest to improve on, both because they are just that, because they are more "correctly" ported in the first place, and because they have more metal to work with in the critical areas (for porting). The 395 is an exception, as I understand it - but then it is quite different from the other quad ones - more like an "afterthought" quad than designed as one from the outset (394).

Latest posts

Back