pile(s) of logs for sale

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAWFISH

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I came across a guy that claims to have 130 ish logs for sale. They are mostly Locust with a few wild Cherry and a couple of Hickory. The pictures only show part of what he has. These have been down for 3 years now and he has decided to sell them. I do not need the wood but have still thought about going into the deal with a few other people. His price so far is $500.00 for everything which I think is on the high side, I am guessing that there is at least 10 full cords there. From what I have read about Locust it has the same BTU's as White Oak. What are your opinions / thoughts on the prospective deal??

I would check how solid those logs are after 3 years piled up like that through MI winters. 500.00 for 10 cords is only 50.00 a cord for hardwood, not a bad deal if wood is solid.

I would check how solid those logs are after 3 years piled up like that through MI winters. 500.00 for 10 cords is only 50.00 a cord for hardwood, not a bad deal if wood is solid.

Yes check it carefully, especially the logs that are in contact with the ground. Looking at how they are piled up might make that a bit difficult. The locust is probably as solid as the day it was cut. The cherry is probably past its prime, especially if is in contact with the wet ground.

Locust

If it's like the locust around here, 3 years seasoned locust cuts just slightly more difficult than cutting granite! Plan on wearing out a chain or 50 on it if it's locust!

3 years of what appears to be at least 20% of logs laying directly on ground ??

Buying that "pile" would not really be *my* best use of half a thousand $$$$$

I was going to say something similar. I wouldn't claim for a minute to know much of anything about trees but that must be a different locust than we find around here. Our stuff destroys chains. I could cut White Oak like in your picture all day long with just touch ups but if those were our local Locust logs I'd be lucky to get half way through just one of them before before the chain was trash.

Black locust as a fence post will last 50 years. You don't have much to worry about after 3 yrs.

Price may be a little high, especially depending how much cherry is in the pile. Cherry goes quickly. Locust will last a long time and is GREAT wood. In my area, it is about as good as it gets and I'll take locust over oak.

If there is 10 cords and it is all good - $50/ cord and you still need to make it into firewood and transport it. Moving it yourself may cost you another $10-$20/ cord, depending on distance and mode of transport. Around here, we can get a log truck to deliver ~8-10 cords for $450-$650. For the amount of effort still required to turn the wood into firewood (cut, split, and stacked), this seems a little high.

Then again, I don't live in your area, so it is hard to compare one place to another.

i would only buy it by the cord, after being cut, split and stacked. agree on a price per cord - any punky. unless theres ALOT more than what i'm see 500 bucks is way to much.

In MA, we are lucky to get 5 chords of log length wood for $400 (delivered), so if the logs aren't too far away, this sounds like a pretty good deal.

I would see if the guy would consider something in the area of $350, since you still have to make it into firewood and keep a little money for yourself. In my part of MI I have seen firewood for sale between $45-$75 a face cord.

Kyle

probabley going to be a lot of punk in that pile.Any cherry touching the ground is junk. It don't look worth it to me, considering chain/sprocket wear etc.

hard to judge the scale of the pics but i must be the only one who thinks its half that amount

I'd be interrested in this deal.

Where in MI ?

Does the owner have a way to load the logs onto a trailer ?

Thanks

I'd be interrested in this deal.

Where in MI ?

Does the owner have a way to load the logs onto a trailer ?

Thanks

:chainsawguy:

Finally someone with some nuts speaks up on this thread. If this wood were close to me I would be all over it too. If there are 130 logs like the ones in the pics it would be easiily 10 cord. Even if it cost a few bucks to load it onto trailer it would still be cheap wood. That wood looks sound and would likley dry out fast to burn or sell and make a few bucks.

Back