PowerSharp!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They had 3/8 lp after a while. There was a ps for all sizes at one point or another. I have owned a piece of every size.

Thanks for posting those! I had a Sears electric chainsaw that came with the older version of 3/8 low profile PowerSharp chain. And the 'new' (current) version is only available in 3/8 low pro, so I assumed that it only came in that size. .404, wow!

Also interesting to see that ad dated 1966. I bought my Sears saw in the late 80's, so I did not know how far back the PS system went.

The manual filing gauge for the old PS chain is kind of interesting. On one hand, I guess that it offers users the flexibility to sharpen the chain off of the saw. At the same time, I keep thinking of one of the FAQ's on the current PowerSharp website: 'Why would you want to take the time to hand sharpen the chain, when it can sharpen on the saw in seconds?'

Screen shot 2014-10-04 at 10.42.59 PM.png

Philbert

Wagnerwerks: Thanks for posting those adds. I like that Necklace one, I guess that'd be combined with black nail polish and hair dye nowdays.

That one in the shrinks office, That saw must be a four banger, so I'd say a fellow would need the horn to clear aside the slow-pokes with one or two cyls.
But the tic-tac-toe on the wall and the stick man ??
Anyone here know if that's referencing any sort of, then current, pop-culture item
or just a general way of depicting that some of my fellow nut-cases had passed through?

I'm guessing that the "barracuda" name for the powersharp chain
was just a Sears/ Craftsman rebadging thing.

You're very welcome. I have a lot of brochures from the 60s-70s and I love the cartoons. I'll try to post more as I find them. Even my wife thinks they're cool!

There's a full roll of .404 58g. And it's price in 1973.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 39
There's a full roll of .404 58g. And it's price in 1973.

What was minimum rage then, two bucks and change an hour? 70 hours or so for a roll of chain then...of course anyone buying a whole roll was making a lot more than that, just sayin' I like thinking in terms of hours worked for stuff.

When I first started driving as a teen, five gallons for an hour's pay at my chump change job. Five mickey d's plus fries and a shake for the same hour.

Yeah. I remember my pap telling me about how much a chain cost for his old mall. Then he told me about his cousin borrowing it to cut down a tree that turned out to be hollow and full of concrete. He was devastated.

He told me the story while I was complaining about paying $10 @ for 20" stihl chains a few years back..lol

New Pricing on Starter Kit?

The new (2015) Oregon catalog shows the PowerSharp Starter kit (bar, chain, stone, bar-end cassette) with an MSRP of $49.95. Several vendors are listing these for less. I recall seeing these up to $70 when they were introduced a few years back. Considering the cost of a standard bar and chain, this makes the system pretty affordable.

Philbert

Screen shot 2015-01-14 at 9.43.18 PM.png

Only power sharp I felt with is on a Remington mighty might seams to work good cut good and quickly dress a chain up with very light pressure.

I want a PowerSharp kit for my Sachs-Dolmar 105 & 108!
I have to find a dealer selling them.

I would also like a PowerSharp system for my Dolmar PS-6400 & PS-7900 in 3/8", but Blount claims "it is in the making, still a few years out".
Few years ouT. By then something newer and better might come along

Quote:

Hello and thank you for contacting us here at Blount International, Inc.

Unfortunately, we do not offer the PowerSharp System for larger saws. The PowerSharp chain is based on our 3/8”, .050 gauge, LOW PROFILE chassis chain which is designed for the smaller cc units. With the design of the current chain, when subjected to larger cc’s and more horsepower, the chains strength is compromised. Please rest assured, you aren’t the only one asking for this!!!! We are currently in the design stage for a larger chassis PowerSharp chain, but it still is at least a couple of years out for “proto” type production. Sorry for the bad news….

Regards,

V** G*****
Sr. Technical Services Technician
Blount, Inc

Bump.

I like Powersharp chains. But a lot of folks don't 'get' them. Neither do a number of retailers.

So, occasionally there are some good closeout deals at stores, CL, eBay, etc. Good deal if you like it, or just want to try it.

Saw some starter kits (bar, sharpening cassette, chain, and stone) recently at a local farm store on clearance for $24.

Bought these NOS replacement chain/stone sets today for $10 each off CL.

image.jpeg

Philbert

Back