PowerSharp!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE: Went back in and replaced most of my photos which had been lost. Anyone else who posted, please see if there are any you can replace as well.

As a side note: My local Menard's has the PowerSharp starter set (bar, chain, sharpening cassette, and stone) on sale/clearance for under $30 right now.

This is about what you would pay for a conventional Oregon bar and chain of the same quality from Menard's.

The replacement chain/stone kits are under $16.

Good deal for someone interested in trying it.

Philbert

image.jpg

Local Menard's has the PowerSharp starter set (bar, chain, sharpening cassette, and stone) on sale/clearance for under $30.

This is about what you would pay for a conventional Oregon bar and chain of the same quality from Menard's.

The replacement chain/stone kits are under $16.

Good deal for someone interested in trying it.

Philbert

View attachment 339494

Yep, that's a good deal. Home Depott has had them at about that price before.
If you try one, make sure you press the bar very straight when you go to sharpen it. I recently used one and when I sharpened it, I pressed it against a crowned road surface (thinking I'd ensure I wasn't throwing sparks in the dry woods). The saw, which cut straight before the sharpening, started pulling to the side after it was sharpened. Only thing I can figure is I accidently sharpened one side more than the other when it pressed against the crowned road.

If you try one, make sure you press the bar very straight when you go to sharpen it.

Check out my summary of pointers in Post #118.

By the way, I have continued to use the PowerSharp chain on a few of my saws and continue to have good results.

On the first chain we had the irresistible impulse to grind it into concrete and see if we could restore it. I also demonstrated the sharpener to many interested parties. On later loops, I treated it like I would any other chain - i.e. I tried to avoid hitting any rocks, metal, concrete, etc. I sharpened it when I noticed a decrease in cutting efficiency. These loops have lasted much longer!

Philbert

Well I got one for mu Stihl 020 Super.

Will try it out over the weekend.

2qsyl1z.jpg

Ok....

Used it for a while today to cut up some Pine (Fir?) and Apple that was on the ground from storms. (Been there for a while)

Straight out of the box the B&C works great, No issues what so ever.

As the chain got less and less sharp from all the dirt, It still threw some nice chips until it just got too tired and needed a sharpening.

Sharpening was stupid easy and real fast. Real fast.

I probably was a little too cautious on the sharpening and could have leaned in to the saw more on that, But it still took a nice edge and felt pretty much like new again.

I will actually cut down a few damaged trees soon and plan on using this combo. Just for fun.

So far so good from a homeowner/Landowner who in no way what so ever is a "Pro" in anything related to chainsaws. :)

My WheelHorse 310-8 Pulled a few carts today to the staging area where I keep wood for the outdoor pit.

rupvn6.jpg

How long you need to sharpen it depends on how dull you let it get.

Just keep the bar straight (no bowing) when you press against the tip. And mount the sharpener the same way each time (don't flip it).

Philbert

How long you need to sharpen it depends on how dull you let it get.

Just keep the bar straight (no bowing) when you press against the tip. And mount the sharpener the same way each time (don't flip it).

Philbert

Thanks Philbert, I'm trying to do just that.

Really wish they had Power sharps for more models as I find it very handy.

I repeat again, I really wish Oregon would make the Power Sharp system to fit more sizes, It is really handy.

Got an Email from Oregon today and as Philbert stated they keep saying there will be a .325 soon...

Makes me wonder if I could make a .325 fit a 455 Rancher, Oregon does sell the Power Mate® Rim Sprocket System to make the saw .325 so why not right?

Just thoughts.

Recently tried the ps on my cs-400 and was surprised at how well it worked. I shortened the bar down to a 16 and like the handling better. My first chance to use it was to cut down a bar length pine. I have to say it did at least as well as the other chains I have for the saw. I was getting 2" strings. I will be interested to see how it holds up over the long haul though. If it does well I may be recommending this to a few friends that cut less frequently than I do.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

My Echo CS-400 was offered with either an 18" or 16" bar. I am glad that I got the 16" bar - it balances and cuts well with the standard 3/8 low profile chain. I picked up a 14" PS bar and chain for it on closeout, but have not run it yet.

Philbert

Back