Pto log splitter pump coupler help..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Ok so the splitter was working good with all new hoses and fluid. I turned up the pressure a bit and tonight it stopped splitting. That's when I noticed the metal shavings under the pto. So I have one of these.
Screenshot_20200527-201408_eBay.jpg

And its shredded. It came with it and from what I've read they suck. Now I dont know for sure that it was the right size. It's a bit bigger than the shaft but there were the metal shavings. Anyone know where I can get a quality one? I'm not sure y it slipped but I didn't put it on and never looked at it.

Is there a reason you have a PTO clutch on a splitter?
You can get an extension I'd that's what you need.
Can't see a reason why a over-running clutch is needed on a (hydraulic?) splitter?
If you need a clutch,the disc type are a much better setup.
But, also much more expensive.
Maybe I'm missing something.
Most farm supply stores have those in stock.

Is there a reason you have a PTO clutch on a splitter?
You can get an extension I'd that's what you need.
Can't see a reason why a over-running clutch is needed on a (hydraulic?) splitter?
If you need a clutch,the disc type are a much better setup.
But, also much more expensive.
Maybe I'm missing something.
Most farm supply stores have those in stock.

I dont think it's a clutch it's a quick connect pto coupler. 1 3/8 6 spline by 5/8 round shaft coupler. It mates the pto to the pump.

Ok so the splitter was working good with all new hoses and fluid. I turned up the pressure a bit and tonight it stopped splitting. That's when I noticed the metal shavings under the pto. So I have one of these.
View attachment 831344

And its shredded. It came with it and from what I've read they suck. Now I dont know for sure that it was the right size. It's a bit bigger than the shaft but there were the metal shavings. Anyone know where I can get a quality one? I'm not sure y it slipped but I didn't put it on and never looked at it.

Your right don't buy that one go to Farmer BOB's parts and supplies and look at there all steel coupler. They are made by G and G in Omaha Ne. There black in color. I had the same problem with a sprayer pump this spring eating up those cheap TSC coupler's ordered one of these all steel ones and no more issues.

I ordered a Delavan 90600 Forged Steel 540 RPM Quick Coupler. 1-3/8" x 5/8 off Ebay. Not sure y someone would want aluminum over steel when it comes to applying power from a steel shaft to a steel shaft. I do like the quick coupler part though. Hopefully this makes a difference being forged steel.

I ordered a Delavan 90600 Forged Steel 540 RPM Quick Coupler. 1-3/8" x 5/8 off Ebay. Not sure y someone would want aluminum over steel when it comes to applying power from a steel shaft to a steel shaft. I do like the quick coupler part though. Hopefully this makes a difference being forged steel.
I hope that one holds up even that one didn't last real good on our sprayer pumps that's why I suggested the G and G one from farmer Bob's they are a lot heavier that the Delavan and so far I have sprayed all spring with it and there seems to be no wear so far. Years ago we never had coupler problems but they don't make things like they used too.

I hope that one holds up even that one didn't last real good on our sprayer pumps that's why I suggested the G and G one from farmer Bob's they are a lot heavier that the Delavan and so far I have sprayed all spring with it and there seems to be no wear so far. Years ago we never had coupler problems but they don't make things like they used too.

I was hoping that being aluminum instead of steel was the design flaw not the actual style of coupler. I did look at farmer Bob's and found one for the same price but it was a different style. I also did not see any brand names on them. Then I was googling it and found the steel quick connect coupler. I'm hoping for the best. I stack about 3 cords a year and some of it is hand split or small enough to not be split. The splitter is not being heavily used.

The Delavan will probably be ok. I run that sprayer about 100 hours a year and it was worn out after the first year. The one from farmer bobs that is made by G and G is a quick connect also and doesn't have the plastic balls that like to wear out. The one from G and G is like the one I used for 20 years on a lot of pumps but got threw away by a friend that had borrowed the tractor and sprayer and the pump went out so he just went to TSC and bought a kit with everything put it on and within two days that coupler was shot and he had threw out the old steel one so it was gone. That's what started all the problems for me.

The Delavan will probably be ok. I run that sprayer about 100 hours a year and it was worn out after the first year. The one from farmer bobs that is made by G and G is a quick connect also and doesn't have the plastic balls that like to wear out. The one from G and G is like the one I used for 20 years on a lot of pumps but got threw away by a friend that had borrowed the tractor and sprayer and the pump went out so he just went to TSC and bought a kit with everything put it on and within two days that coupler was shot and he had threw out the old steel one so it was gone. That's what started all the problems for me.

My problem was at some point the set screw loosened up on the shaft during use and then the shaft end of the coupler slipped and became much larger. The set screw was bent and destroyed also. That's y I figured the steel one would be better. Probably less chance of the screws loosening or the shaft slipping in steel. I have the pump mounted to the tractor so I dont think it would come off the pto even if the quick connect part failed.

Back