question about ms 261 from a newbie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

632stang

Reaction score
First off im new here and there is some good info on this site its right up my alley.I bought a new 261 yesterday and it seems like the chain tension varies a great deal when you roll the chain by hand. could anyone tell me if this is normal and will wear in? I don't remember any of my other saws doing that or maybe I just didn't pay attention.. any help is highly appreciated...

No, that is not normal, and don't try to run the saw that way!

First things to look at - make sure that the chain is properly on the sprockets (drive and nose), and make sure the chain fits with the drive sprocket and the bar.

Take the saw back to the dealer if you don't find a solution.

Okay thank you I thought it was questionable. Im gonna call the dealer today.
I don't believe this could do the crank bearing any good. I checked all the obvious and can't see anything wrong. on the good side the saw makes nice power runs and kinda sounds different than my other stihls.

Okay thank you I thought it was questionable. Im gonna call the dealer today.
I don't believe this could do the crank bearing any good. I checked all the obvious and can't see anything wrong. on the good side the saw makes nice power runs and kinda sounds different than my other stihls.

Perhaps the chain "assembler" spun the preset and tiestrap too tight...pull the chain and check every link to see that one isnt a little stiff...

First off im new here and there is some good info on this site its right up my alley.I bought a new 261 yesterday and it seems like the chain tension varies a great deal when you roll the chain by hand. could anyone tell me if this is normal and will wear in? I don't remember any of my other saws doing that or maybe I just didn't pay attention.. any help is highly appreciated...

Not trying to be a SM but, Did you read the owners manual?

TT

.... and while you're in there, check to make sure that the chain/bar/sprocket are all meant to be with each other. BTW, I just make it a practice to soak all my new chains in SAE 20 oil overnight; I feel it penetrates better than B&C oil.

I run a 261, that is not normal, it sounds like the chain is aligned with the sprocket. I'd simply take off the bar and then put the chain and bar back on the saw and then check it. I hope you didn't pinch your bar.
The 261 is a great saw and the exhaust note is a little different.
Congratulations on the new saw, you picked a great one.

Back