Screw on spout for bar oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
Has there been any new products in the last few years? Pouring from a full jug can be a pain. Would be nice to have an angled spout with a screw on lid like on some gas cans. Hmm.. maybe I'll just buy a one gallon kerosene can and use that.

When starting a new jug, I pierce the foil seal on the bar oil with the tip of the scrench. This makes a small hole that slows down the pour rate and helps prevent spills.

In the past, I've also used the caps/spouts from bottles of gear oil, though the red plastic tip caps are easy to lose.

I tried a large dawn jug a few years ago, but the opening is way too small. If there was a dish soap kind of dispenser top with a half inch opening, that would work great I think.

Has there been any new products in the last few years? Pouring from a full jug can be a pain. Would be nice to have an angled spout with a screw on lid like on some gas cans. Hmm.. maybe I'll just buy a one gallon kerosene can and use that.

Try a Walmart 554059544 “Trans & Oil Spout” valve/dispenser, but cut the clear tubing in two pieces & put a piece of hand bent 3/8 copper or 90 copper ell in it...add worm clamps &/or tywraps to the ell, as the oil makes the tubes slip off too easy. Stick the supplied black stopper plug into the clear tube end too, to keep the sawdust & crap out.

Used them modified like that for years now, and it completely valves off by turning the base.

Only issue I’ve had is that some jugs are different sizes...but ain’t that the truth, lol!

I just keep the gallon jugs that they fit well on, and transfer the new oil into it.

880191D3-D972-4387-B2B2-626C4CEA7D75.jpeg

Got one of the walmart spouts. That flexible tubing is pretty thin. We have some much thicker tygon tubing at work that will be a good substitute I think. Edit... maybe not. Looks to be 14mm ID and we have half and 3/4 tube at work. I think the half might be a really tight squeeze.

I use an old laundry soap jug, I seen a guy on youtube doing it. They have a built in spout, it looks funny but works great.

Back in the early sixties when my dad was logging he used a plastic dishwashing soap bottle. Prior to that he used a small glass mason jar. There weren’t many plastic containers at the time. Oil cans were mostly foil lined cardboard with metal ends or tin cans with no way to seal them once opened. He was tickled to have the plastic bottle.

Ron

I tried a large dawn jug a few years ago, but the opening is way too small. If there was a dish soap kind of dispenser top with a half inch opening, that would work great I think.
did your bar blow bubbles?

Back in the early sixties when my dad was logging he used a plastic dishwashing soap bottle. Prior to that he used a small glass mason jar. There weren’t many plastic containers at the time. Oil cans were mostly foil lined cardboard with metal ends or tin cans with no way to seal them once opened. He was tickled to have the plastic bottle.

Ron
Was wondering how many remembered the old cardboard quarts of oil that you punched the spout into thru one of the metal ends. If you pushed wrong the can collapsed and you had oil everywhere.

After the passing through our area of the Tour de France cycle race I picked up a couple of drink bottles(bidons) discarded by the riders work great with a pull up valve in the cap

I’m a spill-it-all-over-the-place kind of guy. Damn!

Lately I’ve taken to using a litre gear oil container with the little tapered spout-cap.

Why is it that you can’t see the oil rising in the tank as easily as the fuel, especially when the oil has lots of colour? Maybe it’s just my eyes?

I still have one of those piercing spouts for the old oil cans. I have no idea what it is good for now? It worked great in its day.

I still have one of those piercing spouts for the old oil cans. I have no idea what it is good for now? It worked great in its day.

Well, except for the Godawful noise it made when it tore a hole in the metal top (like nails on a blackboard!) ... and the 2 jiggers of oil that dripped out of it when you put it away...and the 3 tablespoons of grit that got stuck to it before you used it again! (Yeah, I used to pump gas back when they still had gas station attendants...)

Latest posts

Back