ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Traverse Creek Inc

Silver Maple Staff

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
I left that owl as is and went and carved a wood wizard, carved the same style as the owl. I carve the make it up as you go method, that is why I mentioned I plan on taking up the pencil and carve the next character ,in the round. I am making myself some different carving knives/tools, more directed toward small detail blades. I can rough out with my bigger carving utensils but the fine stuff needs smaller blades.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
I left that owl as is and went and carved a wood wizard, carved the same style as the owl. I carve the make it up as you go method, that is why I mentioned I plan on taking up the pencil and carve the next character ,in the round. I am making myself some different carving knives/tools, more directed toward small detail blades. I can rough out with my bigger carving utensils but the fine stuff needs smaller blades.
Let's see the wizard!

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
Yep, next time I get it out to resume carving I will get a pic or two, sidelined it for a bit as I have 3 vehicles I need to get ready for safety check and tires,oil changed for the summer season.

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
Very nice. What knife are you using?
One I just made that looks like your Moira and a small flat chisel blade I also made from an old dull jigsaw blade. I like to make my own tools so the next one will be a blade with a slight hook to the blade, down turned to be used with a slight pulling action.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
One I just made that looks like your Moira and a small flat chisel blade I also made from an old dull jigsaw blade. I like to make my own tools so the next one will be a blade with a slight hook to the blade, down turned to be used with a slight pulling action.
Cool... do you sell your handmade knives?

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
Cool... do you sell your handmade knives?
I only make one as I go, they are nothing special and usually made from some tool steel I have on hand. I started working in the forge at home when I was 9 years old and have fancied working with steel to make tools ever since so I keep a lot of worn out or scrap steel around. There is a very nice carving set sold by Lee Valley tools but I am too cheap to spend the $100. on a hobby tool set...LOL
Flexcut carving knives,https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...ves/31090-flexcut-carving-knives?item=06D0516

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
I agree that they are a bit more than I want to splurge on a set unless I get deeper into this detail carving, if I do then maybe but since I can make any blade shape I want or need then more likely I will just continue adding my own shaped blades to my setup.
I did a bit of detail cleanup on two of the characters tonight,

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yes, the scratches were all there made with the knives but they just don`t stand out so following over them with a very fine tip in the wood burning tool made show up much better.
What kind of wood burner do you have?
I've been looking at some on ebay - actually found one exactly like I had when I was about eight years old (can't believe my parents let me use it unattended.:p )
I'm tempted to get it, but I remember it took a loooong time to heat up, was hard to manipulate, and pretty much sucked.
1618620187086.png
Then there's Plaid

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
What kind of wood burner do you have?
I've been looking at some on ebay - actually found one exactly like I had when I was about eight years old (can't believe my parents let me use it unattended.:p )
I'm tempted to get it, but I remember it took a loooong time to heat up, was hard to manipulate, and pretty much sucked.
View attachment 901636
Then there's Plaid

I have the set in the link below,

https://www.bittychoice.com/product...ourd?currency=USD&variant=31616098533472&utm_