SMALL ENGINE SHOP!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may need to re-evaluate what you wrote. "On initial inspection it was not pretty but at least the sparkplug wiring wasnt burnt out, it ran and looked decent. "

The decision was yours, you saw it run (seems like you didnt test cut anything though), I fail to see how the guy screwed you over.

If you drove 2.5 hrs and it was a basket case but he told you it was a running saw, then you would have been screwed over.

I am also confused how, if you saw the saw running, yet still decided to buy (it if those were its issues when you bought it).

Sometimes we all make poor purchasing decisions, self delusion does not mean anyone screwed you but yourself.
Wrong thread bro

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Im confused. Start a new thread

I misunderstood I thought my integrity was under troll attack. I apologize web

Webevan, start your own thread.
BJD85, you are new here but don`t start out name calling, settle in and you may be around for a while.
Sorry pioneer. I typically dont name call unless provoked. And web sorry for the misunderstanding. I like how quickly that was handled tho very reassuring about the quality of this group, I will read more thoroughly bedore posting

Maybe wrong thread, maybe not. It is about buying a used saw from someone else. He didnt really ask anything that would help him, just mainly a rant.

I am not sure how one would confuse who I was replying to? Maybe different versions of tapatalk do not show quotes?

Hmm, and where did I put that mystery-90 mix... need to get my block back on.

I'll work on about anything someone brings me but if you think I can somehow magically come up with parts for a Homelite that's older than I am...

I have a fair bit of NOS Homelite parts for sale. There's also Leon and chainsaw lady (sorry, I can't think of her name at the moment).

THOUGH we sometimes run into people expecting their 30+ yr old item for a place to have parts on hand and/or be fixable more or less on the spot for a few dollars.

Couple years ago I implemented a 1/2hr min charge. It worked fairly well to weed out the "something for nothing" people.

Also helped with stuff being dropped off and them deciding it's not worth fixing. "Just throw it out"
Ok, but you still owe for the labor!

I used to take it down to show the scored piston, and then put it in a box to show the customer when he came back in.
He would then say,
"naaaa, I'll just take it back", after I gave the ballpark estimate...

so I would just hand them the box, and say "No charge".

When they would ask, "aren't you going to put it back together?"

I would say, "That will cost you $20..."

I used to take it down to show the scored piston, and then put it in a box to show the customer when he came back in.
He would then say,
"naaaa, I'll just take it back", after I gave the ballpark estimate...

so I would just hand them the box, and say "No charge".

When they would ask, "aren't you going to put it back together?"

I would say, "That will cost you $20..."

We charge $90/hr.

Someone brings in let's say a yard tractor. Getting it unloaded and hoisted up in the shop... that's ~10 mins right there.
Easily can spend 20 mins seeing what's damaged and sourcing parts to make up a quote.
Most common thing we see is broken quills, belts/pulleys, etc.

Now we do roll that labor into repairs if it's greenlighted. Sometimes the teardown/diagnosis and parts sourcing is 90% of the work. Throwing on new parts is the easy part.

I have a fair bit of NOS Homelite parts for sale. There's also Leon and chainsaw lady (sorry, I can't think of her name at the moment).

THOUGH we sometimes run into people expecting their 30+ yr old item for a place to have parts on hand and/or be fixable more or less on the spot for a few dollars.

Couple years ago I implemented a 1/2hr min charge. It worked fairly well to weed out the "something for nothing" people.

Also helped with stuff being dropped off and them deciding it's not worth fixing. "Just throw it out"
Ok, but you still owe for the labor!

I REALLY wish we would adopt this particular no s**t policy at our shop. The "free diagnosis" we offer is just ripping ourselves off, since we have to waste time on junk and make people with legitimate repairs wait around. That and just like you said, people find junk at a yard sale or dig it out of grandad's shed and when it comes back as either unfixable or financially irresponsible to do so, "Ah you can just throw it out for me". Gee thanks, buddy - I'm honored to have the opportunity to throw your garbage out for you! I guess it's a moot point, I tell them to come get it and they're like 'yeah I will today or tomorrow' and it's still sitting in there a month later.

I REALLY wish we would adopt this particular no s**t policy at our shop. The "free diagnosis" we offer is just ripping ourselves off, since we have to waste time on junk and make people with legitimate repairs wait around. That and just like you said, people find junk at a yard sale or dig it out of grandad's shed and when it comes back as either unfixable or financially irresponsible to do so, "Ah you can just throw it out for me". Gee thanks, buddy - I'm honored to have the opportunity to throw your garbage out for you! I guess it's a moot point, I tell them to come get it and they're like 'yeah I will today or tomorrow' and it's still sitting in there a month later.
I appreciate a man who works a hard day just as I do... But I had no idea obout the struggle involved here with small engin shops. I will have a completly different approach next time I need to visit a shop. I hope I can teach myself enough and take good enough care of my machines so I dont have to. But side note if I went to a shop and asked for a "throw away saw" and offered them 20 bucks would that be disrespectful? Im just looking for a pratice saw I can take apart clean and put back together.

Different shops have different policies.

Typically if a shop has a "free diagnostics", you will pay through the nose for parts and I do mean double or triple.

If they give you a rate to look at it and call you to tell how much it will cost to fix it, usually any parts are reasonable.

You want help with equipment; befriend a rental/dealer shop, they will almost always have something around or out back. Sometimes they are negotiable as well, depending how much you rent from them.

I appreciate a man who works a hard day just as I do... But I had no idea obout the struggle involved here with small engin shops. I will have a completly different approach next time I need to visit a shop. I hope I can teach myself enough and take good enough care of my machines so I dont have to. But side note if I went to a shop and asked for a "throw away saw" and offered them 20 bucks would that be disrespectful? Im just looking for a pratice saw I can take apart clean and put back together.

The world needs more people like you, my friend. Speaking for myself, I just don't want people to come around and waste my time. Something you got for $20 at an estate sale that hasn't been ran since the Reagan administration is going to waste my time. And I think any mechanic who doesn't just hate money will agree: bring in the work, but ask yourself how much you'd be willing to spend on it before you personally consider it too expensive to fix. Is it way less than the shop's rate for 1 hour? Any mechanic worth his salt can probably at least narrow it down to which of the 3 components it requires to run it is likely to be within 10-15 minutes, but a thorough diagnosis takes longer. Things to consider.
As far as asking for a throwaway saw, I think it probably varies by the shop but it'll probably really help if you have a good rapport with them. There are customers I'd inform about times we were going to throw something in the dumpster, for example. You can usually find stuff on CL or Ebay, if you're not looking for something that runs - and if you need advice on what to look for before buying, I or someone else could probably give you a few pointers.

Thanks man really appreciate it. I just really dont care for letgo craigs list face book ECT. This is literlly the only form of such I suscribe to. I had let go for a bit and its just so shady. There is dozens of timberwolf saws NIB for sale. We all know how they got em! Lol. But i guess I can make an exception for the right fixer upper project.

Back