Splitter photos?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How Much

Not sure how much it will hold, didn't measure it yet. Some where around 3/4 of a pickup truck load. I hhavn't calculated the cordal amount yet.

If I was to build a splitter I would definitely use an H-Beam for the reason you gave me. Thanks for the input. :bowdown:

Be careful... the description comparing W Shapes (or Wide-flange, apparently what you guys are calling H beams) to S Shapes (or Sloped-flange, apparently what is being called an I beam) is like comparing an apple to a motorcycle. There is no fair way to easily completely explain the difference in reactions. Most of the commercially available splitters are using some form of W-flange steel. The MAIN reason for it is that for a given WEIGHT of beam, you have more lateral and torsional strength in a given beam depth. S-flange shines in vertically loaded applications, such as overhead crane trolley beams. The big discussion should center around how HEAVY of a w-flange to use. There are 2 w-flanges that are approximately 8" high x 6 1/2" wide. One weighs 28# / ft and the other 24# / ft. While there is only 4# / ft difference, it translates into much more stiffness than the 17% increase in weight would indicate.

Personally, I am opting to use a MUCH stiffer beam for the splitter that I am collecting materials to build. I have a length of w8x67 waiting for me. It is 8"h x 8"w with flnage and web thicknesses TWICE the "standard" splitter beam size.

Not sure how much it will hold, didn't measure it yet. Some where around 3/4 of a pickup truck load. I hhavn't calculated the cordal amount yet.

Your engineering of your new splitter / transport continues to amaze me. I bet you had a ball thinking through it all and building it!

Be careful... the description comparing W Shapes (or Wide-flange, apparently what you guys are calling H beams) to S Shapes (or Sloped-flange, apparently what is being called an I beam) is like comparing an apple to a motorcycle. There is no fair way to easily completely explain the difference in reactions. Most of the commercially available splitters are using some form of W-flange steel. The MAIN reason for it is that for a given WEIGHT of beam, you have more lateral and torsional strength in a given beam depth. S-flange shines in vertically loaded applications, such as overhead crane trolley beams. The big discussion should center around how HEAVY of a w-flange to use. There are 2 w-flanges that are approximately 8" high x 6 1/2" wide. One weighs 28# / ft and the other 24# / ft. While there is only 4# / ft difference, it translates into much more stiffness than the 17% increase in weight would indicate.

Personally, I am opting to use a MUCH stiffer beam for the splitter that I am collecting materials to build. I have a length of w8x67 waiting for me. It is 8"h x 8"w with flnage and web thicknesses TWICE the "standard" splitter beam size.

My terminology comes from many a year in the Millwright trade. Cut a slice of the end of the beam and one looks like an "I" and the other looks like an "H". Didn't know about OR appreciate the weight per ft. differences until I got involved in being a Planner.
I would pick something heavy enough since I have to source it and make the purchase.

My current splitter was built with parts procured on the Graveyard Shift at work and you didn't always have the option to pick what you wanted but would settle for what you could easily lay your hands on.

My current splitter was built with parts procured on the Graveyard Shift at work and you didn't always have the option to pick what you wanted but would settle for what you could easily lay your hands on.

+1 on the Midnight Splitter Materails Supply!! LOL I'm all about materials scavenging! My beam section is a "leftover" from one of my projects.

I just wanted to point out, to those that may be planning new splitter projects, how beams are now classified and what affects price (weight) and strength (cross-sectional area) in a "layman's terms" posting.

got this woodsplitter for dunkin doughnuts coffee for a month. i havent come across anything it couldnt split yet. i got a honda engine for free recently so im going to put that on and looking at all you guys lifts has got me thinking about adding one of those as well.

got this woodsplitter for dunkin doughnuts coffee for a month. i havent come across anything it couldnt split yet. i got a honda engine for free recently so im going to put that on and looking at all you guys lifts has got me thinking about adding one of those as well.

That is one sweet deal!

Congrats! And good luck on the new project...

Thanks for the compliments:

we have a few odds and ends to tie-up and then we'll be done, it works really well so far though.

mechnut:
That has got to be the slickest splitter I have ever seen! Good Work!:jawdrop:

Thanx

Thanx again to everyone for the compliments.

I guess I should explain why we decided to build this crazy contraption. Most of the firewood we cut is away from home, so with our old setup we had to tow the splitter to where we were cutting, then haul one of our tractors and a trailor to haul the wood up out of the woods where we couldn't get a truck.

So just to cut a truck load of firewood involved a major convoy. Now we drive the splitter onto our 16' trailor, and a small wagon behind it if we want, split our wood load the truck, load the splitter, put the splitter back on the trailor, then hall it all home.

So, that's why we built it,

well that and it was fun.:cheers:

Hydraulic Pics

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

just a few pics of the hydraulic system.

did a little more research on this splitter. it was one of my fathers. The motor is an ajax 3 hp. electric. the ram has a 5.5 inch bore and a 2" rod diameter. The pump is a williams machine and tool company d58x which produces 5000 psi. that combonation according to the baum hydraulics calculator will produce 59.4 tons, no wonder it splits everything.

My homebuilt splitter running off a free diesel i got from a street sweeper, it's a lil big but it works.

Is it expensive to operate? Not portable. But I do admire the pig roaster in the picture. Looks like one I built. Not just a smoker but rotisserie as well. Looks like a fuel oil tank with a fire box. I use a Dayton Gear Reduction motor.

Back