Splitter suction line hose material?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I've changed all the high pressure lines on my "new" pto drive splitter. I bought 1" rubber hose for the low pressure to find out the old hose is 3/4" reinforced hose. Is this "low pressure" hydraulic hose? And idk where to buy it. I'm guessing it has to be kink resistant and made to work with oil.

The cheap splitters have clear vinyl which is terrible. True suction hose has a spiral heavy wire reinforcement molded into it. you won’t see it on the inner liner. The pressure hose with wire braid takes tremendous pressure outward but it collapses easily under vacuum. A true vacuum hose has that spiral reinforcement and then maybe one fabric braid.
i’m sure plenty of people have used fabric reinforced heater hose and things like that, but I only use actual hydraulic suction hose

The cheap splitters have clear vinyl which is terrible. True suction hose has a spiral heavy wire reinforcement molded into it. you won’t see it on the inner liner. The pressure hose with wire braid takes tremendous pressure outward but it collapses easily under vacuum. A true vacuum hose has that spiral reinforcement and then maybe one fabric braid.
i’m sure plenty of people have used fabric reinforced heater hose and things like that, but I only use actual hydraulic suction hose

This splitter is over 60 years old. The hose I took off has braided steal wire wound through out it. I'm not trying to cheap out I'm trying to replace what I removed do to a leak. I dont know where to buy it...

Any reputable hydraulic shop will have suction hose. Just tell them the inside dimension and explain what your doing with it. Usually rated for around 300-500 psi, just uses clamps to seal. Up here in Canada, we have Princess Auto. Not sure, but does Harbor Freight sell hydraulic supplies? Or maybe Tractor Supply?

Any reputable hydraulic shop will have suction hose. Just tell them the inside dimension and explain what your doing with it. Usually rated for around 300-500 psi, just uses clamps to seal. Up here in Canada, we have Princess Auto. Not sure, but does Harbor Freight sell hydraulic supplies? Or maybe Tractor Supply?
I got all the high pressure lines from tractor supply. I'm going to try Napa auto parts but anything I've found online is garage.

Could even try heavy truck parts suppliers. I used to work for my local one, anytime I put power take off or any hydraulic piece on, we had our own hose/fittings and clamps. We sold to public also.

This splitter is over 60 years old. The hose I took off has braided steal wire wound through out it. I'm not trying to cheap out I'm trying to replace what I removed do to a leak. I dont know where to buy it...
You sound like you realize that doing it right and spending $$ once bought 60 yrs of roughly trouble free ! Worth it.... Lincoln Surplus has it, but lot of freight for a foot of hose.... Any local hydr or construction heavy equipment repair shop should have it. It is inch based ID most common, although I suppose there is metric but I have never seen in NAmer.

You sound like you realize that doing it right and spending $$ once bought 60 yrs of roughly trouble free ! Worth it.... Lincoln Surplus has it, but lot of freight for a foot of hose.... Any local hydr or construction heavy equipment repair shop should have it. It is inch based ID most common, although I suppose there is metric but I have never seen in NAmer.

This is pto driven so the low pressure hose is like 4 feet long. The half inch high pressure hose out of the pump is 6 feet long and was around 30 dollars at tractor supply so I'd like to spend that or less on the low pressure 3/4 hose if I can. I'm trying to buy local so I can get it soon but I will order it if I have to. I'm going to try napa auto parts and the place I bought my tractor from but the hours are abnormal right now. Still dont know the exact name of the hose I'm looking for.. which is the problem with ordering online. I have a piece I cut off and I would bring that with me to a local place.

Try searching "hydraulic shops near me" in google. The hose you're looking for is 3/4" SAE100R4 suction hose. I looked for some near Somerset, which is where your profile shows you are, a couple came up relatively close by. Best of luck.

Part number at Surplus center in Lincoln Ne is 9-1195 and its $4.65 a foot. I wouldn't think shipping would be too bad but you should be able to find it locally at a hyd shop or a truck repair shop that does dump trucks or garbage trucks. I have used surplus center hoses for years around the farm and the quality and prices are good. Glad to see you are replacing all the hoses.

I worked on my conveyor last week replacing pump and a couple hoses including the suction hose.
Bought the wrong one first, as I did not specify 'suction hose', simply low pressure hose.
Pulled off the original with great difficulty and found it to be reenforced when cutting it off.
I actually put a vice grip on it and a come-along to coax it off the tank barb.
Back to the hydraulic shop.
They wore masks, and had an old table set up outside with a cordless bell button on it.
Parker 3/4" ID Hydraulic suction hose: $7.5841/foot.
Last post is a week ago so your probably up and running already.

I worked on my conveyor last week replacing pump and a couple hoses including the suction hose.
Bought the wrong one first, as I did not specify 'suction hose', simply low pressure hose.
Pulled off the original with great difficulty and found it to be reenforced when cutting it off.
I actually put a vice grip on it and a come-along to coax it off the tank barb.
Back to the hydraulic shop.
They wore masks, and had an old table set up outside with a cordless bell button on it.
Parker 3/4" ID Hydraulic suction hose: $7.5841/foot.
Last post is a week ago so your probably up and running already.

Yes I fired it up and split wood for the first time last night. I think it was Tuesday when I tried napa and they did not have any so I tried the place I bought my tractor from and they gave me the 100r4-12 hose without me saying the number. I also brought a piece of the old hose with me. It was 6.99 a foot which didn't sound to bad to me. Now I have 4 feet of 1 inch rubber hose sitting here that idk what to do with lol.

Yes I fired it up and split wood for the first time last night. I think it was Tuesday when I tried napa and they did not have any so I tried the place I bought my tractor from and they gave me the 100r4-12 hose without me saying the number. I also brought a piece of the old hose with me. It was 6.99 a foot which didn't sound to bad to me. Now I have 4 feet of 1 inch rubber hose sitting here that idk what to do with lol.
You could always buy some new barb fittings and use the one inch hose on the splitter.

Latest posts

Back