Splittimg Wood For Money?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RON K.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I remember a few posts about guys that were splitting wood for money,I looking in to it also,I have a few questions?How do you transport the splitter to the wood or the wood to the splitter?How did you determine if there was a market in your area for this service?Any advise?Thanks for any help.

I knew a guy in NJ who had his own firewood business. Looks like he used to sell 2000 cords a year, but he cut down to 400 a year, which at $200 a cord runs out at 80K, but he was selling up since he could not make much profit.

He said he would have to sell wood for $400 a cord to make it worth his time and effort.

He used to buy a field of forest, cut down all the trees, make them into firewood, chip all the rest to make the land walkable, and then sell the land later as cleared land.

HTH

Dean

Thers plenty of guys in the area that sell firewood but no one that I know that will split cutomers wood on site or cut down customers trees and split.I travel around the county and I see these stacks of unsplit wood.Most of it is buy larfer more expensive homes.I would think wood heat isn't their main source of heat though.

Your splitter

Well for good or no im gonna give it a go myself.I have
a new 22 ton portable tow behind splitter ordered.Vertical
or hortizontal.I did my share of wood cutting back
in Knob Noster mo.I had a nice splitter then.Not looking to
go the wood business rout again,just splitting.I believe there'
a nitch for my idea.Being just turned 71 and semi retired
I just aint ready ti lie duwn and quit. Old bull.

Congrats! Which one did you order?

FWIW, take the smoothest possible roads when you're towing, those little wheels can fly your splitter

Re to congrats.

Baught it on line from harborfreight.com-$839.00.
Its on back order,seems to have bin a rush on them
for that price.With the rising cost for heating I decidrd
I would give this idea a go. Old bull.

I get a lot of stuff from HF. One thing to note is that they ALWAYS play this game of being back-ordered, especially for big items that truck ship. They are waiting for some set number of orders before they do some massive shipment. Fortunately their prices are so damned good that no-one ever cancels. But the stuff gets to you generally within 2-3 months.

I just started a Splitting Business. Havent done much advertising yet as Im still working on my splitter, working the bugs out anyway. I know for a fact there is no one else in my area that just splits and stacks, so Im hoping that it will pick up this summer into winter. I have a few calls into Tree companies, I need to follow up though. I too see alot of piles of unstacked wood on peoples property, I may drop fliers or do a little leg work this summer.

Just curious what you will have to charge per face cord for splitting and split and piled. It is a lot more work than bucking but I have a feeling a lot of customers dont see it that way.

jockshift@peopl said:
Fer sure on that-ordered it 12/20/05
Old bull
How much they charge for shipping? Their main warehouse is only 3 hours from you in Camarillo. Might just want to take a day and pick that bad boy up.

Just wait

Fer sure on the wait.Will charge by the hour,what ever the
marked will bear.If she flyes all well and good,if no it wont
be from a lack of trying.Heres somethin to ponder.Heres a way you'l
never fail.Dont try.Course you'l never suceed.
Old bull

Yeah, I know it wont be a money maker, but I am not relying on splitting to put food on the table. I have a full time job, but since I live in the city I dont get a chance for any therapy, and cutting and splitting is something my Grandfather and I used to do.

I charge $30.00 per face cord split and stacked wherever they want it, or $25.00 per hour T/M. I wont touch standing wood unless its away from anything that could be damaged, I have yet to have a tree fall in a direction I didnt want it too, but things cant go right all the time.

As far as Advertising goes, I plan on using my computer for any design and printing business cards. I may come up with a Flier and then take to Kinkos or something, but most of it I hope will be word of mouth....maybe a little door to door in the country.

R to Casey

I wish you well.I dropped a tree where it didn't belong
once.The land owner where I was working insisted I drop
this one tree.I told him streight out it was a bad idea.Well
it took out the phone lines on one of his rental houses.
Old bull

Free shipping???

DeanBrown3D said:
Thats the good thing about HF, they have free shipping even on these huge things. So you gotta wait!
Well according to the receipt that im
lookin at a hard copy of I gotta pay
$38.00 dollars shipping and I called again
this mornin.Women said Feb 17,I ordered it
12/20/05::censored: Old bull

Splitter

Got tired of the run around with harbor freight.Canceled order.
One coming from another supplier.Have three customers waiting.
Old bull :greenchainsaw:

jockshift@peopl said:
I wish you well.I dropped a tree where it didn't belong
once.The land owner where I was working insisted I drop
this one tree.I told him streight out it was a bad idea.Well
it took out the phone lines on one of his rental houses.
Old bull
Here's a video of me running a saw:Mike hard at work

Back