Square grind ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
guys,
been reading and trying to learn some square grinding. everything i've read so far says that's its favored in larger, softer, cleaner woods by larger cc's power heads. seems to make sense so far to me. but, why not in a smaller saw in the tops as well. if a small enough file were used(available) and a large enough chain, isn't the wood cleaner up top and the woods "greener" and isn't it more important to have a smoother cut in a saddle or a bucket ?

first time I've ever seen square was this week when Mike Lee sent me a chain. rumor has it he's "ok" with a file ... :surprised3:

guys,
been reading and trying to learn some square grinding. everything i've read so far says that's its favored in larger, softer, cleaner woods by larger cc's power heads. seems to make sense so far to me. but, why not in a smaller saw in the tops as well. if a small enough file were used(available) and a large enough chain, isn't the wood cleaner up top and the woods "greener" and isn't it more important to have a smoother cut in a saddle or a bucket ?

first time I've ever seen square was this week when Mike Lee sent me a chain. rumor has it he's "ok" with a file ... :surprised3:
Rumor has it, Mike Lee is a Democrat. Ya better watch it!

guys,

Your avatar is chitty

guys,

A goofy file would work on a small chisel-type chain, but it would take some work to get the round filing out of it. I'm enough of a geek that I'd do it anyway, if I had a small saw.

l know this may sound iffy but take it for what its worth. A couple of years ago l was thinking what the op was and at the time learning to hand file square. l did not want to ruin my only loop of 63PS that was near new so l decided to re-file a loop of oregon semi chisel lo pro chain. Well when l got done (took a while to file), l really was not sure if it would cut at all as the leading corner did not look normal at all. l gave it ago on a ms200t and it was so so smooth and pleasant to cut with. A good bit faster but what l noticed was how smooth it was compared to round. So in a pinch you can file a semi chisel chain square if you have to with good results.

I like it on everything from 16-42". Full comp on the long bars is a lot of filing.

you and me both i needed some to cut the christmas ham last year.

Back