Square grind ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Japan currently and won't be home until a week from this coming Monday, but it isn't profiled any different that the 3/8 stuff. I just used the shaping stone to remove more from the wheel and ain't scared of getting into the straps.

You can file it with double bevel but you'll be into the tie strap. Doesn't really matter since it's not on a high horsepower saw.

Anybody got some profile pics of their grinding wheels

And is there any possible profile that would allow for a 511a to grind square ?
You need to put 2 angles on the wheel. You would have to modify it to be down on a 20° angle to feed into the tooth.

I have one 81DL loop of 3/8 square filed and a couple of files. I played with it until I could file it reasonably well, and even made a new vice so I could file it properly. It was interesting and marginally faster, and I'm glad I tried it, but it still takes me more time to sharpen it and the files are much more expensive. I can buy good Stihl round files at the local hardware store for around $4 for a 3 pack, and no shipping cost. Also, if I damage a cutter I cannot fix it up on my cheap grinder, but have to do the repair by hand.

My preference is really for semi chisel, and I don't really need a 24" bar very often. When I do I go for the 25" bar and a loop of 75DPX before I go for the square grind. At this point I mostly save the square grind for falling when I need something larger.

I have one 81DL loop of 3/8 square filed and a couple of files. I played with it until I could file it reasonably well, and even made a new vice so I could file it properly. It was interesting and marginally faster, and I'm glad I tried it, but it still takes me more time to sharpen it and the files are much more expensive. I can buy good Stihl round files at the local hardware store for around $4 for a 3 pack, and no shipping cost. Also, if I damage a cutter I cannot fix it up on my cheap grinder, but have to do the repair by hand.

My preference is really for semi chisel, and I don't really need a 24" bar very often. When I do I go for the 25" bar and a loop of 75DPX before I go for the square grind. At this point I mostly save the square grind for falling when I need something larger.

thanks Chris,
Im thinking the next time I'm out yer way, with or without the splitter, I'm inviting myself over for some grinding learnins. port and chain.
trade ya fer some bucking/splitting time ??

thanks Chris,
Im thinking the next time I'm out yer way, with or without the splitter, I'm inviting myself over for some grinding learnins. port and chain.
trade ya fer some bucking/splitting time ??
Sounds good, but the question is when - it's not much fun in the barn right now!

You can get really small files, I used to have some. I don't know if they would be useful for square filing, but sets are cheap enough. google "jeweler's files".

Sorry Zogger , I was referring to the "jewelers" files you mentioned. If they were beveled or not.
Thanks.

Yes, that's what I meant. I owned some decades ago but don't remember all the shapes, etc, or if any of them might be useful for square filing small chain. I just know that they exist and are small.

There's a decent alternative to trying to square file small chain to get some high performance chain..use a powersharp rig! 3/8ths lopro, all you need to do is pocket the sharpening cassette to take in the tree or bucket with you. It cuts well, and you can't beat 5 second resharpening.

http://powersharp.com/default.asp

Back