Square grind ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
You can file it with double bevel but you'll be into the tie strap. Doesn't really matter since it's not on a high horsepower saw.

mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
Anybody got some profile pics of their grinding wheels

And is there any possible profile that would allow for a 511a to grind square ?
You need to put 2 angles on the wheel. You would have to modify it to be down on a 20° angle to feed into the tooth.

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
I have one 81DL loop of 3/8 square filed and a couple of files. I played with it until I could file it reasonably well, and even made a new vice so I could file it properly. It was interesting and marginally faster, and I'm glad I tried it, but it still takes me more time to sharpen it and the files are much more expensive. I can buy good Stihl round files at the local hardware store for around $4 for a 3 pack, and no shipping cost. Also, if I damage a cutter I cannot fix it up on my cheap grinder, but have to do the repair by hand.

My preference is really for semi chisel, and I don't really need a 24" bar very often. When I do I go for the 25" bar and a loop of 75DPX before I go for the square grind. At this point I mostly save the square grind for falling when I need something larger.

angelo c
I have one 81DL loop of 3/8 square filed and a couple of files. I played with it until I could file it reasonably well, and even made a new vice so I could file it properly. It was interesting and marginally faster, and I'm glad I tried it, but it still takes me more time to sharpen it and the files are much more expensive. I can buy good Stihl round files at the local hardware store for around $4 for a 3 pack, and no shipping cost. Also, if I damage a cutter I cannot fix it up on my cheap grinder, but have to do the repair by hand.

My preference is really for semi chisel, and I don't really need a 24" bar very often. When I do I go for the 25" bar and a loop of 75DPX before I go for the square grind. At this point I mostly save the square grind for falling when I need something larger.

thanks Chris,
Im thinking the next time I'm out yer way, with or without the splitter, I'm inviting myself over for some grinding learnins. port and chain.
trade ya fer some bucking/splitting time ??

Chris-PA

Chris-PA

Where the Wild Things Are
thanks Chris,
Im thinking the next time I'm out yer way, with or without the splitter, I'm inviting myself over for some grinding learnins. port and chain.
trade ya fer some bucking/splitting time ??
Sounds good, but the question is when - it's not much fun in the barn right now!

Latest posts