stihl 034 av oil pump problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rudy

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Happy New Year. Ok to the problem, after cleaning up the stihl, noticed no bar oil coming out. Proceeded to check the oil intake filter and cleaned that but the exit hose is gummed up. I want to get to the oil pump, was able to get as far as the actual clutch. How do you stop the clutch from turning? tried the rope thing in the spark plug trick but didn't work, ended up almost losing some of the rope in the cylinder.

Thanks in advance

Did you stuff enough rope in there? That's always worked for me when I'm at home. When I'm at the shop, there's a block-off tool made by Stihl that I use. You insert it through the spark plug hole and rest it against the inside of the cylinder on the squish band and it blocks the piston there. It's made of softer plastic and has some give to it.

Rudy...Welcome to AS!

Happy New Year. Ok to the problem, after cleaning up the stihl, noticed no bar oil coming out. Proceeded to check the oil intake filter and cleaned that but the exit hose is gummed up. I want to get to the oil pump, was able to get as far as the actual clutch. How do you stop the clutch from turning? tried the rope thing in the spark plug trick but didn't work, ended up almost losing some of the rope in the cylinder.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to AS! An impact wrench is a good thing to get the clutch nut off. I haven't worked on a Stihl, however, I just had the clutch off of a McCulloch. The nut was a left hand thread. May be the same on the Stihl.

On the McCulloch it wasn't oiling either. The pickup tube was hard and brittle and cracked. I had to pull the clutch to get to the oil tank bolts. It's a good thing that I took it apart. The saw was packed full of oil soaked sawdust in every place imaginable! It's a wonder it didn't burn up!:chainsaw:

Regards,

Dan

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I'll see the stihl dealer soon to get that block off tool, and proably a new hose kit (hopefully not a new pump) while I'm there. And yes dan had to take the flywheel of that mc culloch to get to the fuel lines as well.
Fun stuff!

I'll keep you guys posted!

Thanks

Latest posts

Back